Why I now hate Head to Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I now hate Head to Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:37 pm

JTWood wrote:Yeah, I hate having the team with the best regular season record only to get swept in the World Series.

;-7

I don't understand people here. Why is that sort of thing acceptable (and even expected) in the real game but completely unacceptable in the fantasy version?

:-?

This is why in my opinion, the best team is the team who has the most wins at the end of the season. Not neccessarily who wins the 7 game series at the end of it.

I too hate head to head. I was on the receiving end this year of all my players slumping for 7 days and losing the prelim. Oh well. Roto is better. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mamorris » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:47 pm

I also like both H2H and Roto, but the reasons given for disliking H2H seem to be pretty weak IMO. If you like games that reward skill and not luck, why do you like baseball? Baseball has to be one of the most luck-based games there is. Ever wondered why it's considered outstanding to even win two-thirds of your games over a full season? That happens every year in baseball, football and hockey. I also assume anyone who doesn't like the playoff factor in H2H fantasy baseball must also not like the playoffs in real MLB. I know some would prefer an English soccer-style season, where the winner at the end of the season wins the "main" trophy, and a shorter knock-out competition is also played. If that's the case, then more power to you, but I am going to go out on a limb and assume most people here love the MLB playoffs, in which case there's definitely an inconsistency.

"The best team wins the WS most of the time." Really? Was Boston the best team last year during the regular season? No. How about Florida? Anaheim? Hmmm. Maybe I'm not going back far enough, but it's fair to say since the addition of the wildcard, the winner of the WS is often not the best team. Sure, over the last month they might be the best team, but guess what? That's pretty much who wins in H2H as well: the best team over the last month.

The other thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is the issue of balance. In roto, balance is essential to winning your league, but it isn't in real baseball. Would Boston have competed in a roto league? No way; they don't steal nearly enough bases. What about Florida? No power. Anaheim? They would have come close. The point is though, that balance isn't required to win either a real playoff series or a weekly H2H matchup, but it is to win a roto league (at least, it's very tough to win without it).

Like I said, I like both styles of play, and if you don't like H2H, that's fine by me. I just think the logic behind your preference is a little skewed.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:56 pm

mamorris brought up a good point. Take SB, for example. In H2H, you can punt that cat and still do great. In roto, it is much more difficult. Add onto that usually more caps and such, and you have more strategy. It's all preference, though. Threads like this are usually just vent sessions because I have yet to see anyone admit that they changed their mind here.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:00 pm

George_Foreman wrote:are you kidding? bonds/schmidt/prior = round 1, 2, 3. that's a ballgame my friend, even if you don't account for the rest.

What I said was that it all couldn't be blamed on luck. ;-)

Drafting too early and taking Barry before the news broke that he was having surgery. Is that luck? Not in my opinion. It's part of the problem with drafting too early. Not lucky or unlucky at all. We all know drafting too early can cause problems like that. Has nothing to do with luck.

Schmidt and Prior were bad breaks and I even admitted that's pretty unlucky to have both stink so bad. ;-)

Oh, and just because you lose your top 3 draft picks, the league is far from over in roto. Definitely not the end of someone's season. ;-)

WR, I agree man. That's a tough year :-/ . Between injuries and underachievers, you got sunk pretty bad. At least you know next year can't be as bad as this year was, right? :-o

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:06 pm

You wanna know why I now hate H2H?? All that I needed was 1 more stinkin' run from Castillo. It's the bottom of the 7th and the 3rd base coach was waving him home when he came up lame. Pinch runner in. That run would have put me into the finals. Now, I lose because of the tiebreaker. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mamorris » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:06 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Threads like this are usually just vent sessions because I have yet to see anyone admit that they changed their mind here.

Haha, that's the truth. I actually think I have changed my mind in the past as a result of these sorts of threads, but it's a bit of a long-term process. I've never come back to the same thread and admitted it, though, because by then the thread's long been buried.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:08 pm

mamorris wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Threads like this are usually just vent sessions because I have yet to see anyone admit that they changed their mind here.

Haha, that's the truth. I actually think I have changed my mind in the past as a result of these sorts of threads, but it's a bit of a long-term process. I've never come back to the same thread and admitted it, though, because by then the thread's long been buried.

And we have our pride, right?? :-b
Lofunzo

Postby rainman23 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:44 pm

It does suck when you're in the middle of your H2H playoffs, and you find some of your key players being rested. That sucks when you're scrambling to improve your standings in Roto at the end of the season, too. It's sad we can't do anything about that, but that's life. The choice is between not-quite-optimal playoffs or no playoffs at all. And to me that choice is pretty clear.

To me, it's also clear that H2H gives you the best of both worlds. You've got the regular season, which makes it pretty clear who the elite teams are. Then, at the point when most people in Roto are turning their attention to fantasy football, and have long since lost interest in their fan baseball team, they've got a reason to remain interested. One of the most interesting parts of the season, in fact. Playoffs! A chance to regain just a little pride, another chance to get a few of your dollars back. If you can knock off that elite team, it doesn't make you better, it doesn't prove anything. It just gives you a little bit of satisfaction. Same as it does that dominant manager if he manages to dominate the playoffs too. And in the process you both have a hell of a lot of fun.

All this should be moot. Because there's no reason at all to tie the playoff experience strictly to H2H leagues. I don't know why sites like Yahoo's don't allow Roto leagues to do playoffs. Play your Roto league thru the beginning of September, seed the teams, and play a couple rounds of playoffs. Why not?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:04 am

rainman23 wrote:All this should be moot. Because there's no reason at all to tie the playoff experience strictly to H2H leagues. I don't know why sites like Yahoo's don't allow Roto leagues to do playoffs. Play your Roto league thru the beginning of September, seed the teams, and play a couple rounds of playoffs. Why not?

Why would you want to do it this way? This would completely kill the spirit of Roto? I actually had never played H2H before this year, so I joined a couple of Public H2H leagues (yeah it's stupid, but I figured why not). Anyway, I blew everyone out of the water during the season in both leagues, get byes, then lose in the semis in both leagues to lesser teams. I guess it is like real life, and if your guys go cold then you're screwed. But it is why I prefer Roto to H2H (not saying I wouldn't ever play H2H again or anything).

Meanwhile, in my main money Roto league, I was last at the end of May (thanks to Beltran, RJ, Thome, Lowell, Mota, Ollie and a host of others), but through good managing, pick ups, and trading (and of course discovering this place), I've steadily climbed the ladder. Up to fourth at the end of August, and right now I stand in third, just two points from second and three and a half from first. If they would have called this thing September 1st so we could play some stupid playoffs, I'd probably be out of the money, when now I've got a chance to win with two weeks to go.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:21 am

Yeah my post was really just a vent. I wouldn't have minded if one or two or even three of the teams failed to make the finals, because thats bound to happen. Its the fact that all of them not only didn't make the finals, every single one of them had one of the worst weeks of the year for me all at the same time. They all did great last week during my byes as well. Oh well, I guess there is always next year.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers