Why I now hate Head to Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I now hate Head to Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why I now hate Head to Head

Postby baseballnewb » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:17 am

I played in 5 leagues this year, in every league I came in first place. My lowest winning percentage of any of those 5 teams was .720 and the highest was an amazing .820. Every one of the 5 teams was a H2H league and every single one of those leagues i am going to lose before the finals barring a lot of luck tomorrow even though I took first by at least 10 games in every league. For whatever crazy reason every player I have on every team is slumping at the same time. I do not have the same players on each team in general, just bad luck times five. Its simply unreal that this is happening and has soured me completely on the H2H format.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:33 am

Yeah, that would be one reason you shouldn't play H2H, though I enjoy it because I feel it's more fun and competitive.

BTW, can you give us the names of all of the guys slumping at the same time?

I mean, a few guys on my team this week are slumping (Shawn Green, Vernon Wells, Jason Varitek), though I'm still leading going into the final day of the semis tomorrow.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Madison » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:17 am

Sounds about right. Happens all the time in H2H leagues. Not to mention off days for studs now that the playoffs are basically a lock for some teams (Pujols).

Personally, I hate putting together the best team for an entire season, then losing out due to a combination of an "off" week against a lucky week. Just isn't fun to me and that's why I tend to stick to roto. I play one H2H league for fun (even though I do give full effort to try to win), but my serious fantasy baseball is all roto leagues. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:23 am

Yeah, I totally agree, and I've only played H2H once. :D Once was pretty much enough as I finished 1st during the season and then lost in my first round in the playoffs (following the bye). There's just too much "luck" involved in the playoffs to take it all that seriously, and I hate to join a league and not play it seriously (or get ridiculous results like that).
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:11 am

yeah. i play roto in competitive leagues, but in ones where im just messing around with friends (no money, etc.), h2h works fine for me.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:30 am

Like Mad has always said, and me too

Roto = Baseball ;-D
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Guru » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:17 am

What is pissing me off:

My opponent has Randy Winn. 5 runs, 3 homers, 3rbi !+)

I needed to bench some players yesterday in hopes of winning strikeouts, but still start players that will hit homers.

So, my A-rod strikes out three times! :-P

Not to mention RJ gets thrown out of a game when his era is 16, and has walked two. That helped out a lot. Thank you, Yankees.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:17 am

Madison wrote:Sounds about right. Happens all the time in H2H leagues. Not to mention off days for studs now that the playoffs are basically a lock for some teams (Pujols).

Personally, I hate putting together the best team for an entire season, then losing out due to a combination of an "off" week against a lucky week. Just isn't fun to me and that's why I tend to stick to roto. I play one H2H league for fun (even though I do give full effort to try to win), but my serious fantasy baseball is all roto leagues. B-)

Agree 100%.

As I said a few weeks ago in another thread, playing H2H adds another factor (or increases the importance of) - luck. Winning in roto means I built the best team. However, you don't need the best team (although you do need a good team) to win in H2H - sort of like the wild card. Makes it more competitive (and may be more like "real" baseball), but is the main reason I don't like fantasy football as much since every football league I know is H2H.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:39 am

Ya, H2H pisses me off so much sometimes. But I guess that's what I get for playing it. Well anyway this year, I have one of the best teams in my H2H league but my pitching is going cold or getting injured these last two weeks therefore its screwing me up and Im now losing 5-3 going into the final day of the semifinals against the guy who finished 6th place. I was up 8-2 at one point too but this guy also snuck up and won the last day against the 3rd place guy. I know H2H is exciting and all throughout the season but its all god damn luck and it infuriates me sometimes.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:40 am

Yeah, I hate having the team with the best regular season record only to get swept in the World Series.

;-7

I don't understand people here. Why is that sort of thing acceptable (and even expected) in the real game but completely unacceptable in the fantasy version?

:-?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers