Who will win Al central?

INDIANS
60%
WHITE SOX
40%

Total votes : 15

How bout them Tribe

Postby tribefan13 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Wow who would have thought they could have closed that gap and come close to the white sox. I believe they were 15 out on Aug. 1, and now just 3.5 back. I can;t wait until they face each other the last 6 times. Should be great. Would that be the biggest collapse for a team in MLB history?
tribefan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How bout them Tribe

Postby Tavish » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:55 pm

tribefan13 wrote: Would that be the biggest collapse for a team in MLB history?

No, the biggest collapse was only four games. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:58 pm

Tavish wrote:

;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:02 am

Tavish wrote:

Man Tav is bringing the good stuff tonight! Y'all best watch out - the zingers they are a flyin'! ;-D

I voted Cleveland. The White Sox have been horrible, the Tribe have been on fire, and there are enough games between the two that I think Cleveland will make up the difference. At this point I'd honestly be surprised if the White Sox even made the playoffs. Cleveland's going to cruise past them and they'll have to hold off the AL West teams and the Yanks. I don't know if it will happen. Stay tuned...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:37 am

Now, that's just cruel about the biggest collapse, but com'on, at least get it right and not overstate it as it was a 3-game lead, not 4, although I guess you could technically argue it was a 3.9-game lead. !+) Guess I'll probably be the only Yankees fan to post to this thread anytime soon. :*)

Since I never said this for the Bosox fans on this site, guess I'll offer my belated congrats for the win last year.

BTW, Tavish, since you seem to believe in sabermetrics and don't believe in clutch hitters (and probably don't generally believe in clutch or the choke :D), I guess you probably can't rightly enjoy the collapse quite as much as a typical Bosox fan. OR do you just make an exception for such a situation? ;-) In sabermetrics terms, it was really just the law of averages playing out just about perfectly at the end of the day (so to speak). :*)

Getting back to the Indians, even though I don't believe in curses and such -- not that I'm not religious at all -- I sure hope (or should that be *wish*?) that they catch the Chisox in dramatic fashion and also rub off some of their good "luck" on my team in that dynasty-like XR league. I sure could use all the help I can get for a miracle comeback being down by ~40pts in XR and IP-R (w/ moderate bonuses/penalties for W/L/CG/Hold/Sv/BlownSv) and behind *two*, not just one, league leader. I was down by ~50pts just 2 days ago, and so far, most of the trends this past week have been favoring me over the 2 leaders, including the fact of Bonds' return although Big Unit hurt me yesterday. Unfortunately, there's nothing like H2H matchups here, so my chances are definitely much more remote than the Indians' at this moment.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:43 am

I'm still voting for the White Sox, though it would be an amazing comeback if the Indians could do this.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:59 am

mweir145 wrote:I'm still voting for the White Sox, though it would be an amazing comeback if the Indians could do this.

I voted for Indians. I was extremely skeptical a few days ago, but now, they're only 3.5 games back, the Sox have the tougher sched, and many things are falling apart for them while going just right for the Indians.

When the Sox began the year w/ the best record in baseball (and stayed there for a long while), I was skeptical that they could really keep that up given their lack of run production and reliance on Garland and company. While Garland hasn't fallen completely apart, he did come back to earth a fair bit. Meanwhile, Buerhle, their most reliable SP, has been struggling -- I know since he's been hurting me in one league where I've finally lost my lead over time -- El Duque has fallen apart, Contreras is Contreras, Guillen refuses to use McCarthy in the rotation, and the bullpen has gradually declined although Jenks, Politte and Cotts are keeping them afloat (but for how long though?). Remember, they still can't score enough runs most times to win w/out very good pitching.

I hope Guillen will relent and use McCarthy so I too can use McCarthy in my miracle comeback. :D Meanwhile, I do also need Jenks to keep it up too -- swapped Politte for him since it's a dynasty-like league.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:09 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm still voting for the White Sox, though it would be an amazing comeback if the Indians could do this.

I voted for Indians. I was extremely skeptical a few days ago, but now, they're only 3.5 games back, the Sox have the tougher sched, and many things are falling apart for them while going just right for the Indians.

When the Sox began the year w/ the best record in baseball (and stayed there for a long while), I was skeptical that they could really keep that up given their lack of run production and reliance on Garland and company. While Garland hasn't fallen completely apart, he did come back to earth a fair bit. Meanwhile, Buerhle, their most reliable SP, has been struggling -- I know since he's been hurting me in one league where I've finally lost my lead over time -- El Duque has fallen apart, Contreras is Contreras, Guillen refuses to use McCarthy in the rotation, and the bullpen has gradually declined although Jenks, Politte and Cotts are keeping them afloat (but for how long though?). Remember, they still can't score enough runs most times to win w/out very good pitching.

I hope Guillen will relent and use McCarthy so I too can use McCarthy in my miracle comeback. :D Meanwhile, I do also need Jenks to keep it up too -- swapped Politte for him since it's a dynasty-like league.

You've convinced me that the Indians are a better team than the Sox, though I still think a 3.5 game lead will be very tough to overcome.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:11 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:Getting back to the Indians, even though I don't believe in curses and such -- not that I'm not religious at all -- I sure hope (or should that be *wish*?) that they catch the Chisox in dramatic fashion and also rub off some of their good "luck" on my team in that dynasty-like XR league. I sure could use all the help I can get for a miracle comeback being down by ~40pts in XR and IP-R (w/ moderate bonuses/penalties for W/L/CG/Hold/Sv/BlownSv) and behind *two*, not just one, league leader. I was down by ~50pts just 2 days ago, and so far, most of the trends this past week have been favoring me over the 2 leaders, including the fact of Bonds' return although Big Unit hurt me yesterday. Unfortunately, there's nothing like H2H matchups here, so my chances are definitely much more remote than the Indians' at this moment.

Mmmm... Just gained another 2 pts from one inning of work for Linebrink -- 1 pt for 1 IP, 1 pt for the W. Now, I'm ~38pts behind in that league w/ >=65 IPs to go (for both the leader and me) -- gonna have to try stacking a few SPs on the day when I run out of IPs, but won't be easy since roster space is such a valuable commodity here. I think I've just managed to pull into a virtual tie w/ the #2 team (after adjusting for IP usage). This used to be a 3-to-4-way dogfight until mid/late-Aug when I started falling behind due to all sorts of injuries, underperformance, etc.

Go Tribe! And my own team too of course... :-b
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:21 am

Sultans of Squat wrote:BTW, Tavish, since you seem to believe in sabermetrics and don't believe in clutch hitters (and probably don't generally believe in clutch or the choke :D), I guess you probably can't rightly enjoy the collapse quite as much as a typical Bosox fan.

I'm positive I didn't enjoyed it as much as the typical Red Sox fan, it was their team's victory so they can enjoy the spoils from it. But I do enjoy prodding Yankee fans as much as they do. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Return to Baseball Leftovers