Transaction limits vs unlimited transactions, please discuss - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Transaction limits vs unlimited transactions, please discuss

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Transaction limits vs unlimited transactions, please discuss

Postby fiz » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:08 am

Hi all - I'd appreciate any insight either way on this issue - I'm in a Yahoo H2H 14-team league and there is a guy who has over 300 moves for the season. He doesn't pick up players and drop them so others can't, he basically plays matchups every day. (We have a 3-day waiver period) Some owners are complaining and I wanted to get some input both ways on what people think, because it has been suggested to put a move limit in place for next year. Thanks for reason on either side.

I guess what I am saying is what are the advantages/disadvantages of transaction limits, besides avoiding churning (which isn't a problem in our league)?
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:20 am

Well the advantage of transaction limits are that you won't get this happening but the disadvantages would be that if your in the playoffs you might make twice as many moves as you do in the regular season because you might want to spot start some players every other day and pick up the hot players. But really I don't see anything wrong with the guy playing matchups everyday, I know its probably frustrating to be in that league with the guy doing it but it's just another strategy and I think there is nothing wrong with it.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:23 pm

I prefer a league that has unlimited transactions. I think one of the best strategies is to spot start pitchers late in the season.

I have a limit on innings pitched so this will eliminate the excessive innings late in the season.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:28 am

I think it all depends on your league's expectations. If the large majority of the owners expect something more reasonable, then it seems that you should do something about it. Using a moves limit could be one way to go, but you have to be careful about being too restrictive though. And it still wouldn't necessarily prevent a smart owner from saving this same strategy just for the playoffs and/or the final stretch of the regular season in order to get into the playoffs or get a bye.

Other ways to approach it is to use different set of counting stats that makes the strategy less effective. Some would go w/ mostly ratios, instead of cumulative stats. Some would just add some penalty stats, eg. L, Blown Saves, pitching BB, CS, batting K, etc, to balance things out. Make sure you use good games/IP minimums too though, especially if you go w/ mostly ratios. You could also consider a good IP limit too -- something like 9IP/day for 6 days = 54IP.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby prhood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:56 am

Just a brief comment from a relative newbie. I've made more than my share of transactions myself this summer but that was largely because my league has very few bench positions (2) with 22 active players. If the numbers were different - say 8 of 25 - I would have made quite a few fewer moves. So perhaps the roster is part of the problem.
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:53 pm

I don't like playing with no cap on anything. I prefer a cap on transactions or innings. That guy has averaged over 12 moves per week. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:58 pm

300 moves is absoultely insane :-t

that is over 12 moves a week, and I can almost guarantee he wasn't picking up bats. Why even have a draft when you can turnover 50% of your roster every week :-t
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:47 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I prefer a league that has unlimited transactions. I think one of the best strategies is to spot start pitchers late in the season.

I have a limit on innings pitched so this will eliminate the excessive innings late in the season.

I would love to have an innings limit in our keeper head to head league but Yahoo doesn't allow it. If they did, I'd have no problem with spot starting.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby tms298 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:16 pm

Last year (2004) my league tried a transaction limit of 60 to prevent churning. People got too close to it and then were stuck when injuries happened at the end of the year. It also cut down on the amount of speculative pickups that could occur. This year (we use free yahoo), we had no transaction limit, but used strikeouts per nine innings rather than just strikeouts. The thinking behind this is obviously that you can only win one category (wins) by churning your starters, while you essentially give up ERA, WHIP, and k/9. This was effective, but the consensus is that it was more fun when you could see how many strikeouts you had and were behind. It was a pain to have to figure out if you had a chance to catch the guy in strikeouts or not because you had to estimate innings and strikeouts (if you can even get to that point in the calculation). I wish yahoo would make one category that was wins minus losses. We could then go back to using strikeouts and have a built in measure to prevent churning. I think I will email yahoo and ask if that is a possibility for next year.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:44 pm

Ask them to implement a max IP limit too while you're at it. Afterall, that's the main problem you have w/ people streaming spot SPs in H2H.

Personally, I wish they'd offer H2H w/ points system, instead of making it either or, on top of the max IP limit.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers