"Pulling the goalie" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Pulling the goalie"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Pulling the goalie"

Postby mamorris » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm in a Yahoo weekly H2H playoff matchup, and while there's still a way to go, it's becoming increasingly likely that strikeouts (pitching) could determine who wins the matchup. My question is, do you think it's OK to drop your catcher on Saturday in order to pick up a pitcher starting on the Sunday? It's a 10-team league, and my catcher is Jason Kendall, so in terms of value I don't think I'm really hurting myself, since pretty similar guys are available as free agents and I could pick one of them up after the Sunday. Also, I don't think it would affect any of the hitting categories, and I would only consider doing it if we're within 5-10 Ks of each other after Saturday. Would you have a problem ethically if someone else did it in your league? Thanks.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Red Stripe » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:56 pm

I'd say go ahead, its not like you have a stud VMart or Varitek catcher and someone will pick him up so why not do it, plus Im sure some WW guys in a 10 team league are much better than Kendall anyway. And I don't see anything wrong with ethics here.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 pm

Red Stripe wrote:I'd say go ahead, its not like you have a stud VMart or Varitek catcher and someone will pick him up so why not do it, plus Im sure some WW guys in a 10 team league are much better than Kendall anyway. And I don't see anything wrong with ethics here.
agreed thats just good strategy ;-D
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:28 am

either drop your C or one of your mediocre SPs. :-p
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:40 am

I disagree ..

You have to start somebody at every position .
I realize Yahoo doesn't force you to, but it has been the basic rules of fantasy baseball since its inception .. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby tms298 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:06 am

I'd do it, especially if Kendall catches saturday night which makes it unlikely he will catch the sunday afternoon game. I see nothing wrong with not starting a catcher. Its your roster-use it as creatively as you like.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:01 am

wrveres wrote:I disagree ..

You have to start somebody at every position .
I realize Yahoo doesn't force you to, but it has been the basic rules of fantasy baseball since its inception .. :-o

As long as I've been playing, there have been some people that bench all of their starters for a given week in an effort to win ERA and WHIP. If it's ok to bench starters, I don't think it's wrong to bench a catcher. On the other hand, it does kind of go against the spirit of the game and if I lost in the playoffs because of it, I'd be pretty pissed.

Tough call. I'd say go with your gut. I'm honestly not sure what I would do in this situation.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bselig » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Of course do it if it is going to help your team...you don't have to start someone at every position and for anybody to even suggest that is pure inanity. Make the roster move.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djack909 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:28 pm

There are plenty of times that I leave position players or pitchers on the bench. Today, King Felix vs. Texas as an example. Last week I dumped my only SS so I could pick-up a FA spot SP for a day. Dumped the FA spot SP the next day and picked up FA Counsel. I think anyone who has a problem with you having a vacant roster slot, has more serious problems in their personal lives.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:43 pm

bselig wrote:Of course do it if it is going to help your team...you don't have to start someone at every position and for anybody to even suggest that is pure inanity. Make the roster move.

I'd qualify this: I don't think running a whole season with the 'no catcher strategy' is acceptable, for instance, as you really should have someone for every position. Doing it for one day, in a really tight h2h race, is imho a different matter. I mean, you'd drop your ace on the last day if it were the only way of winning, wouldn't you?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers