Advice on creating a website... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Advice on creating a website...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on creating a website...

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:09 pm

My friend and I want to create an online magazine (it will be kind of unique, so I don't want to say exactly what it is. I don't want it to be stolen). It will be about sports, I can say that much.

I have very, very, very basic html knowledge and my friend has none. We know some people who could do it for us, which we will probably ask for, however, I want to know how to do a lot of the stuff just so I can have some control.

I have Frontpage (which is probably a joke to most people) and was wondering if there are any good tutorials on how to create templates/websites using it. Anyone with expertise on creating websites, please throw me any kind of advice.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:50 pm

Don't use Frontpage, it's terrible! It's so hard to use. I guess if you're just going to use HTML then it would work OK, but I hate the program because there's so many stupid bugs and glitches in it...

If you're just building a static website, as in it doesn't have any forms or accept any user data, try to get your hands on Dreamweaver. It makes website building a snap- it's almost as easy to use as a MacPaint type program. If you plan to do any actual coding (javascript, C+) somewhere down the road, check out Visual Studio.net- it's amazing how easy it is to build an intelligent website with that program.

For what you've described though, I recommend Dreamweaver. It's easy to build beautiful websites with that program ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:45 pm

I second that. Dreamweaver is easy to use and much more useful. It's a WYSIWYG (Whizeewig) editor, which means what you see is what you get. You can type text and add pictures and tables without knowing any HTML.

BitTorrent that s*it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:38 am

Coppermine wrote:I second that. Dreamweaver is easy to use and much more useful. It's a WYSIWYG (Whizeewig) editor, which means what you see is what you get. You can type text and add pictures and tables without knowing any HTML.

BitTorrent that s*it.

I found a serial and just downloaded the 30 day trial...seemed to work.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk