trade rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Boston Red Sox

trade rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade rumors

Postby Rapps5 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:12 pm

has anyone heard anything new about the sox and any trade rumors? I heard some people saying maybe Benitez???
Rapps5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

trade rumor

Postby kchale3 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:57 pm

i heard a rumor consisting of three teams, sending damon to kansas city, beltran to los angeles and a starting pitcher from the dodgers (or andy ashby) to boston, not my idea of a wise choice, but an idea capable of intriguing any redsox GM's mind...
kchale3

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BostonBK7 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:22 am

I don't know if you guys have seen this already, but this came from ESPN's Insider.

July 9, 2003

David Heuschkel
The Hartford Courant

TORONTO -- From what he's been hearing, Johnny Damon said he wouldn't be surprised if the Boston Red Sox traded him sometime this month.

Damon said he has received calls from players on other teams telling him the Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers and Kansas City Royals are interested. A week ago, a former teammate told Damon he would be going back to Kansas City.

"I've been hearing from Mike Sweeney," Damon said, "and he's like, 'Yeah, I think we're close to getting you.'"

Damon said he was told the deal is a swap of center fielders, with him going to the Royals and switch-hitting Carlos Beltran to the Red Sox. The $11 million Beltran is projected to make through arbitration next season may be too much for the small-market Royals to afford. He is scheduled to be a free agent after the 2004 season.

Damon, who spent his first six seasons with the Royals, has two years left on his contract for a total of $16.5 million.

Beltran, 26, is hitting .280 with 11 home runs and 45 RBIs. He has a .381 on-base percentage.

The Cubs, who lost center fielder Corey Patterson for the season, are also reportedly interested in Damon.

"I know a few guys over there, and they know the kind of person and player I am. They know Chicago would be a good fit for me," Damon said.

Damon, 29, said he wants the Red Sox to tell him about his status. He said the trade rumors made it difficult for him to focus in 2000 with the Royals.

"The first half I hit .260 thinking about being traded every day," he said. "They finally said, 'We're not going to trade you this year.' And then, boom, I hit (.386) the second half."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to get Beltran, but I don't think its a bad idea to get a good starting pitcher.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:58 am

It doesn't look like this will be happening, but it's an interesting idea. Somehow, the idea of losing Damon to pick up Ashby doesn't sound like a great solution, though...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BostonBK7 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:52 pm

From Friday's Boston Herald:

Damon said he no longer believes that he will be traded to the Royals in exchange for Carlos Beltran or that he will be traded at all. Damon voiced those opinions to the Hartford Courant Wednesday but sources on the Red Sox said no such deal has been discussed and that Damon has not been shopped around recently.

``The Kansas City part is definitely out of equation from what I hear,'' said Damon, who spoke with Little about his status Wednesday. ``Of course nothing is written in stone unless you have a no-trade clause. I just have a feeling nothing is going to happen. If they want to win the whole thing, they're going to need me, and I know they want me.

``Nothing is settled, I know, but they want me here. If they didn't, I would be gone by now. If they wanted to trade me, they could, but from what I understand they don't want to trade me.''

Said Little: ``(Damon) did say something to me, but I haven't heard one word about anything like (a trade to Kansas City).''

The Red Sox remain interested in obtaining another starter but would likely be hesitant to upset their offense and defense by moving a position player, even a struggling Damon.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:37 am

Arlo wrote:It doesn't look like this will be happening, but it's an interesting idea. Somehow, the idea of losing Damon to pick up Ashby doesn't sound like a great solution, though...

That would have killed the team. Wilson ( :-D ) is still a solid CF and now they have Foulke. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Boston Red Sox