Sleeper NL Cy Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper NL Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleeper NL Cy Young

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:54 am

Andy Pettitte

The guy has been absolutely phenomenal! My team has been decimated due to injuries and/or pitchers not living up to their draft positions (My team includes: Curt Schilling, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior AND Roy Halladay). Thank goodness for Mr. Pettitte! ;-D He may catapult me into my world series!

Pettitte is 13-2 with a 1.50 ERA since June 20, the most wins and best ERA in the major leagues during that span. He has now won six consecutive starts and seven of his last eight.

Andy Pettitte is quietly the best pitcher in the MLB since the all-star break!
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sleeper NL Cy Young

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:Andy Pettitte is quietly the best pitcher in the MLB since the all-star break!
True but he doesn't have a shot at the Cy. Clemens and Carp still have better numbers.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:16 pm

Yeah, he's been better than Roger in the second half, but I don't think he tops Carpenter.

Still a fine rebound for Pettite this season. Kind of sad how good he's been some years, yet he's never been able to get the trophy.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:21 pm

I think that's what is most amazing. Roger Clemens and Roy Oswalt are considered the best pitchers in Houston. Andy never seems to be mentioned. I'm definitely not saying that in next years draft I will be taking Pettitte over Clemens and Oswalt, but he is sure worthy of a mention with what he's doing this year.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:42 pm

Man I traded Pettitte, Floyd, and Overbay for Huff in mid-May, and thought I swindled the guy. Looks like he got the best of that deal...

I thought Pettitte would rebound this year, and drafted him when a lot of people didn't suspect he'd do much. Definitely a nice season from Andy, but no way will he win a Cy Young, not this year.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:52 pm

still, Pettitte has really stepped it up post ASB. and i guess the kicker is that a 3.09 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP are pretty good, and those were his numbers BEFORE the break!
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:00 pm

He doesn't have a shot this year :-/

He's the one guy everyone (NY fans) wished the Yanks could have kept :-/

Glad he's doing well though ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:I think that's what is most amazing. Roger Clemens and Roy Oswalt are considered the best pitchers in Houston. Andy never seems to be mentioned. I'm definitely not saying that in next years draft I will be taking Pettitte over Clemens and Oswalt, but he is sure worthy of a mention with what he's doing this year.

Well, last year Clemens won the Cy, Oswalt won 20 and Pettitte was hurt. Given the hype over the other two, it doesn't surprise me that Andy gets crowded out. If you go by Win Shares, Andy actually is the second-best pitcher in Houston this year, better than Oswalt. But past performance will always color people's perceptions. And I do think Oswalt is better than Pettitte; it just happens that Pettitte is having a better year.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:02 pm

Pettitte has had a very nice year, no doubt.

But, right now, I'm wondering why Willis is getting almost no love for NL Cy consideration. All I read is Carpenter and Clemens, but Willis' numbers are very nice as well. Don't think he'll win, but he should be getting more consideration at this point.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:06 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Pettitte has had a very nice year, no doubt.

But, right now, I'm wondering why Willis is getting almost no love for NL Cy consideration. All I read is Carpenter and Clemens, but Willis' numbers are very nice as well. Don't think he'll win, but he should be getting more consideration at this point.
Same reason you don't hear about Pettitte. Clemens and Carp have been better. Dontrelle is still 3rd IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers