Ethics and Psychology - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics and Psychology

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:31 pm

BTW, Yahoo should really implement a max IP limit option for H2H leagues.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:32 pm

josebach wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:The point is that Yahoo! has rules in place to prevent this type of roster churning. Unless you're willing to sacrifice one of your bench players then you can't do this at all. And since dropping the same day as adding no longer puts a guy on waivers this is pretty much a non-issue as far as 'dropping every shortstop to put them on waivers.

You're right. It is a non-issue now. The fact that Yahoo stopped allowing it is validation as to what the purpose of the rule was to begin with. Apparently, though, that's still not enough for some people.

My whole discussion with you have been based on Yahoo!'s current rules. I guess that explains the misunderstanding.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:12 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
josebach wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:The point is that Yahoo! has rules in place to prevent this type of roster churning. Unless you're willing to sacrifice one of your bench players then you can't do this at all. And since dropping the same day as adding no longer puts a guy on waivers this is pretty much a non-issue as far as 'dropping every shortstop to put them on waivers.

You're right. It is a non-issue now. The fact that Yahoo stopped allowing it is validation as to what the purpose of the rule was to begin with. Apparently, though, that's still not enough for some people.

My whole discussion with you have been based on Yahoo!'s current rules. I guess that explains the misunderstanding.

I understand that there's some cases where picking up players without any intention of playing them is acceptable. My opinon has changed since the beginning of the thread because some valid points have been given. I guess the main problem I have is that even with the new rules, you can still pick up a player that has a two start week coming up and drop him the next day just so that he will be unavailable for opposing teams to use him. This is taking away the right of other players to improve their team which I think is against the rules.

One method our league considered using before we decided on weekly line-ups was to have a minimum amount of time a non-injured player could remain on your roster. In other words, if you picked up a pitcher, he had to be on your team for 2 weeks before you were allowed to drop him. I think this rule would really keep people honest.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:25 pm

Sultans of Squat wrote:
josebach wrote:Exactly, that was what started this whole thing. Ironman was bragging that he used this strategy to stop a guy that was spot starting a bunch of pitchers. My entire argument is aimed at that one post.

I think though that we should cut Ironman some slack on this issue because he was only doing it in order to fight back against a certain injustice in the game, ie. his opponent was streaming SPs off the WW and the Commish didn't care.

Personally, if I were him, I'd just refuse to play in a league like that.

This is true. I for one think roster churning is bush league. But if nothing is going to be enforced I will take things into my own hands, and if that means stooping to their level so be it. The add/drop thing was done more out of protest because I spent the offseason arguing the idea of implementing a transaction limit before the commish shut down all talks and decided to keep it the way it was.

So the question is, why do I continue to play in that league? Money. Despite the bush league tactics of others I've managed to walk away with 1st place in 2003 and runner-up last year. This year I'm once again in the finals. Despite the management practices of some GM's, most couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper sack. So as the playoffs continue and I have to face-off with a pitcher-churner, I take a deep breath, and hop on that midget horse that josebach showed (nice pic, LOL) and ride into battle.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ironman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:08 pm

ironman wrote:
Sultans of Squat wrote:
josebach wrote:Exactly, that was what started this whole thing. Ironman was bragging that he used this strategy to stop a guy that was spot starting a bunch of pitchers. My entire argument is aimed at that one post.

I think though that we should cut Ironman some slack on this issue because he was only doing it in order to fight back against a certain injustice in the game, ie. his opponent was streaming SPs off the WW and the Commish didn't care.

Personally, if I were him, I'd just refuse to play in a league like that.

This is true. I for one think roster churning is bush league. But if nothing is going to be enforced I will take things into my own hands, and if that means stooping to their level so be it. The add/drop thing was done more out of protest because I spent the offseason arguing the idea of implementing a transaction limit before the commish shut down all talks and decided to keep it the way it was.

So the question is, why do I continue to play in that league? Money. Despite the bush league tactics of others I've managed to walk away with 1st place in 2003 and runner-up last year. This year I'm once again in the finals. Despite the management practices of some GM's, most couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper sack. So as the playoffs continue and I have to face-off with a pitcher-churner, I take a deep breath, and hop on that midget horse that josebach showed (nice pic, LOL) and ride into battle.

Wow so now after churning a handful of guys and throwing over 60 IP so far, I have a 2.84 ERA and 1.08 WHIP to his 4.41 ERA and 1.19 WHIP. He picked up a bunch of guys yesterday and today is throwing Loaiza, Byrd, Astacio, Padilla, Rusch, and Maholm. I'm also leading saves 5-1 with Lidge, Baez, and Valverde closing to his T. Jones and Weathers. I feel pretty comfortable that I can maintain the saves lead and given his kitchen sink approach to SP starts I've decided to bench my SP's for the remainder of the finals and run with just the three closers. Basically I'd by punting wins and K's and lock up Saves, ERA, and WHIP needing only two batting categories to win the match (I currently lead in RBI and AVG and only slightly behind in the other 3). I figure at this point I'm probably not gonna catch him with his ridiculous spot starts and doing so could jeopardize my chances to win ERA and WHIP. So I figured to take the gamble and see what happens.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers