H2H Management Style - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Management Style

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Management Style

Postby gtoay » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:15 pm

I'm in a league that heavily favors pitchers and also counts BA, slug and OPS+Slug. Have you guys ever started only one player, hoping for a large OPS, Slug and Ave game, then bench your entire team for the rest of the week because you're guaranteed 13 of the 25 categories? What's the point if you're going to play turtleball the entire series?
gtoay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:40 am

This is no different from just squeeking in at the minimum IP and trying to win the ratio categories. There's nothing wrong with it per se but there should definitely be a minimum number of plate appearances or something to prevent a ratio-heavy league from turning into a battle of who can play the least players.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:50 am

25 catagories? Makes my head hurt just thinking about it. :-S

You sure there are no minimums in the league? Like minimum plate appearances? If not, there should be. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:56 pm

Was this done only during the playoffs? I can't imagine trying that on a regular basis during the season.

Anyway, one more reason not to like H2H playoffs. :-P
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:07 pm

I don't know about this ethically-wise. If you do this you are doing good, but you'll lose some friends. I think that you should use the team that got you into your position now.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:37 pm

Too risky, even if you do start someone like MCab, Pujols, M. Young, Lee, etc. there is still a chance they could have a bad week and put up some crappy ratios for you and you could get totally sweeped in the hitting stats. I wouldn't do that, way too risky for the end of the year playoffs.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

H2H Management Style

Postby gtoay » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:34 pm

No minimum plate appearances, just minimum innings, only 7 IP.

Here's a run down of the categories:
Hitting:
AB
R
H
HR
RBI
SB
BB
K
E
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS

Pitching:
W
L
CG
SHO
SV
HR
BB
K
HLD
ERA
WHIP
K/9

I didn't do it but had it done to me and the guy preaches how he outsmarted us by "thinking outside the box". Well, I'm about to ram his head into the "box".
gtoay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:07 am

That scoring system is the problem...not his strategy.

You have 13 offensive categories, 6 of which can be won if a batter hits a pinch hit homer in a game and then gets benched. All while having no minimums.

I have no problem with what the guy did but I'd be making some minimums next year if I were in this league.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 am

The first problem is that there should be an equal number of pitching and hitting categories to balance out match ups between teams that have more dominant hitting/pitching.

I don't think OBP and SLG should be categories. I like OPS, but the other two kind of make the categories that should matter like home runs and AVG redundant.

Having hits AND avg is a little redundant too.

I also don't like BB's as a category. In previous years, whoever snagged Bonds would dominate that category, as well as OBP and SLG. Just having OPS is a happy medium I think.

AB is also a strange fantasy category. Where's the strategy in that? Oh, my guys suck, but they had more at bats then yours... big deal.

As far as pitching goes, I played in a league that had CG's and it was pretty annoying. Some pitchers can go out and throw a CG every time they go out there if they're stuff is good enough. Then again, some of the greatest pitchers (like Pedro) never throw a CG. It's a dumb category.

I also hate holds as a category. It makes the all-important save category a little less valuable. Maybe in really deep leagues, but if there's 16 teams or less, I don't think it should be a category.

Also, Loses is a strange category to have too as some of the best pitchers may be handed a loss because of their crappy offense. If you're going to include that, you might as well just include fielding percentage.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers