Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Worst Team $200m can buy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:02 pm

JD Drew at $9.4M could play LF, but Klesko is a good option, too. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:05 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:JD Drew at $9.4M could play LF, but Klesko is a good option, too. ;-D

True Klesko is a solid option for this list ..

But saying JD Drew and playing in the same sentence, just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 pm

wrveres wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:JD Drew at $9.4M could play LF, but Klesko is a good option, too. ;-D

True Klesko is a solid option for this list ..

But saying JD Drew and playing in the same sentence, just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. :-o

Well I think Dreifort has locked up a rotation spot, so it seems as if "playing" isn't necessarily a prerequisite for being on this team...

How about I rephrase it... "You could pencil JD in the lineup in LF on opening day. He may or may not be healthy enough to play. And after the first day, best of luck figuring out the other 27 games he'll play in during the season."
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:54 pm

wrveres wrote:Three Pages and no Mike Hampton? :-o

in the first response to the thread, I said:
SS is easy. Christian Guzmon of the Washington Nationals.

edit: vinny castilla might be worth tossing on that heap, too.

also, mike hampton is getting paid a HUGE sum, although it's being paid by multiple clubs. :-)

don't know why he hasn't been added to the official roster, though. :-°
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:55 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
wrveres wrote:Three Pages and no Mike Hampton? :-o

in the first response to the thread, I said:
SS is easy. Christian Guzmon of the Washington Nationals.

edit: vinny castilla might be worth tossing on that heap, too.

also, mike hampton is getting paid a HUGE sum, although it's being paid by multiple clubs. :-)

don't know why he hasn't been added to the official roster, though. :-°

Missed it ... :-o

Thanks ..

and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:37 pm

Throw Richard Hidalgo at LF. 5 million for a .221 batting average???
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:18 pm

George_Foreman wrote:now, now, that's not really fair, since most of these guys are getting salaries based on the fact that they're not even arbitration eligible yet. :-)

guys like carp and teix are examples of very good signings, but the v-marts and bays up there are just the fact that a team brought up a great kid in their minor-league system.

none the less, a VERY impressive sqad. ;-D

That was sort of the idea behind the list. There is no player worth $22 million dollars, the soundest teams are still those that draft/develop well and make good signings when good players present themselves. You'll notice how many Yankees or Red Sox players made the list.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:54 pm

Tavish wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:now, now, that's not really fair, since most of these guys are getting salaries based on the fact that they're not even arbitration eligible yet. :-)

guys like carp and teix are examples of very good signings, but the v-marts and bays up there are just the fact that a team brought up a great kid in their minor-league system.

none the less, a VERY impressive sqad. ;-D

That was sort of the idea behind the list. There is no player worth $22 million dollars, the soundest teams are still those that draft/develop well and make good signings when good players present themselves. You'll notice how many Yankees or Red Sox players made the list.

Yeah, but no *one* organization can possibly churn out that many great minimum wage youngsters though. So your justification is neither here nor there. :D I mean even Oakland hasn't come close to putting together such a roster as you have there as impressive as Billy Beane has been.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:24 pm

Sultans of Squat wrote:Yeah, but no *one* organization can possibly churn out that many great minimum wage youngsters though. So your justification is neither here nor there. :D

My justification of what? That no player is worth $22 million dollars?

How about just Hafner, Peralta, V-Martinez, Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Coco Crisp for a cool $2 Million dollars.

How about just Willis, Mig Cabrera, Beckett, Burnett, and Delgado for under $11 Million.

I mean even Oakland hasn't come close to putting together such a roster as you have there as impressive as Billy Beane has been.

Thats because Beane isn't all that smart. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:01 pm

Tavish wrote:
Sultans of Squat wrote:Yeah, but no *one* organization can possibly churn out that many great minimum wage youngsters though. So your justification is neither here nor there. :D

My justification of what? That no player is worth $22 million dollars?

Sigh. You didn't need to put together a silly list of minimum wage guys to argue that point. And then going ahead to do that is kinda pointless because it has no basis in reality. Now, I'm not saying the OP's idea of putting together a worse $200M team than the Yanks has too much basis in reality either, but certainly, one could definitely do worse.

How about just Hafner, Peralta, V-Martinez, Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Coco Crisp for a cool $2 Million dollars.

So you mean you can assemble those kind of guys together in a real MLB team w/ that kind of money every year? Hafner's gonna keep making only $500K every year, etc? And all those guys are already at the same caliber as the guys in your original list too? What about the rest of the roster?

How about just Willis, Mig Cabrera, Beckett, Burnett, and Delgado for under $11 Million.

Ditto the above.

I mean even Oakland hasn't come close to putting together such a roster as you have there as impressive as Billy Beane has been.

Thats because Beane isn't all that smart. ;-D

Talk is cheap. When you or a few others have actually done better in real life, then you have a good point. Now, I'm not arguing that Beane is some sort of genius or anything, but it seems rather arrogant (maybe even asinine) of you to say that.

Anyway, maybe I'm getting too serious w/ this tangent. My original point was merely a small jibe about how exaggerated your list is. So I'll leave it at that...
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers