Show Cano some Love - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Show Cano some Love

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:21 am

I guess I just have trouble being impressed, because I am a braves fan, and it seems like at least every other year we bring up someone who is much better than Cano, but I guess it reflects different gm strategies, where Schuerholtz builds from within, Cashman is forced by Steinbrenner to buy/trade for veteran talent...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:01 pm

Funny how everyone here is a certified Yankee expert.

No one knows how good he's going to be and he's done nothing but put together a very good season, yet all you experts claim he'll suck having never even seen the kid play. Its downright laughable. Any team would love to have this kid and if he was on your team everyone would be singing a much different tune.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:10 pm

stumpak wrote:I am not biting on this!

But I will be more than happy to admit I am wrong if Cano's performance so indiactes at the end of the season.

Fair enough. I was wondering where you would be when Cano got hot again. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:14 pm

blankman wrote:Funny how everyone here is a certified Yankee expert.

No one knows how good he's going to be and he's done nothing but put together a very good season, yet all you experts claim he'll suck having never even seen the kid play. Its downright laughable. Any team would love to have this kid and if he was on your team everyone would be singing a much different tune.

yeap thats pretty true. i doubt even HALF of cano's critics have seen him play yet. they're just going by numbers (which doesnt make sense cuz he has good numbers...) he's in the running for AL ROY and you people say he's garbage? he hasn't even play one whole season yet. maybe you guys should get an idea of his abilities before you go and say he's not gona pan out. :-?
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:39 pm

Let me clarify that I never said that Cano was garbage (and yes, I have seen him play). He walks as much as Albert Belle gave interviews, which isn't a good sign, but he's young so that happens. He doesn't look like he'll ever change that aggressive play, though, which may give you a good average, but low OBP as well.

Comparing him to Infante isn't crazy at all. The difference is that they change the scoreboard in two different ways (Cano with BA, Infante with SA).
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:46 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:He's having a nice hot streak and a good rookie season.
Still I don't see any reason to get all that excited about him. Omar Infante has 28 doubles in 108 games.

Interesting comparison:
<pre>
Name Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Robinson Cano NYY 114 449 62 129 28 2 9 47 16 62 1 2 .287 .314 .419 .733
Omar Infante DET 105 362 32 80 28 2 7 41 15 59 7 0 .221 .255 .367 .622
</pre>
Give Infante the protection and lineup Cano gets to situate himself in and those ratios would be reversed.

Right but you forgot to shave 4 tears off of Infante's experience and put him into the 2-slot (for the most part) of the most pressurized situation in sports. ;-7

RynMan wrote:
stumpak wrote:I am not biting on this!

But I will be more than happy to admit I am wrong if Cano's performance so indiactes at the end of the season.

Ditto. When Cano cools off again I might dig this thread back up.

And that's extremely hypocritical to do. You can't pick and choose when to argue about a player. When he's going well, you stay quiet but, when he cools off, you jump on??

George_Foreman wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:haha yankee haters are just angry that the yankees somhow managed to produce a good player from their farm even during the steinbrenner era. all teams had a chance to get this guy, but NO ONE wanted him. i wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a .300 hitter, doubles machine with power in his future. ;-D show cano the love.

conversely, yankie fans are just a tad over-excited that the yank's farm system finally produced someone of better-than-bench level talent. >_<

although to be fair, nick johnson has had a decent season, considering he's playing for the worst hitting club in the NL.

Not at all, at least from my perspective. Most of the discussions here about Cano have been about people saying that he's crap and people that have actually seen him play coming to his defense. I have not changed 1 bit on my thoughts of him. He came up as a rookie and was plugged into the 2-hole in what was a season going down the drain. He was a big part in turning it around. Not the only reason, of course, but a big reason. He went into a bad slump and tons of peopl,e were saying that he was crap and that's not fair. He has work to do but he is a rookie. He is hitting .290 as we speak. Not bad for someone that no one had heard of before this season. ;-7

George_Foreman wrote:
Omar Infante 0.26
Ivan Rodriguez 0.26
Michael Young 0.26
David DeJesus 0.26
Ron Belliard 0.26
Robinson Cano 0.25

if anything, this list shows you how pointless this stat is. you can go down that list and for every two top-level players, there's a david dejesus.

either way, cano is what he is: a better-than-bench player, but no HoFer. he probably won't go to any all-star games, although anything is possible in a given season (see: Anderson, Brady). but he'll be a solid contributer on a yankees team that desperately needs some young, cheap talent. a .280 career average with some pop and good periferals (he'll be in NY for a while, after all) would probably be reasonable, although if he decides to take a pitch now and then....

Hall of Famer?? Who's overreacting now?? :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:52 pm

1 thing that I absolutely hate about this place is the hate that goes on against certain teams, especially the Yankees. Be it jealousy or whatever, it really is annoying. I have never seen 1 Yankee fan here claim that Cano is anything other than a solid rookie and someone that has a lot of potential for the future.. People come here and say that this is yet another overhyped rookie on the Yanks. Whatever. There were a lot of solid contributors but without Cano, they wouldn't even have a shot at the playoffs. Womack wasn't getting it done. I will also say that there is absolutely no point in comparing him to Infante. Tell you what.......Bottle up Infante's stats right now and then look at Cano's after 336 ML games. Cano is a rookie and 1 that came out of nowhere. Infante has been in the league for a few seasons.
Lofunzo

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:54 pm

DK wrote:Let me clarify that I never said that Cano was garbage (and yes, I have seen him play). He walks as much as Albert Belle gave interviews, which isn't a good sign, but he's young so that happens. He doesn't look like he'll ever change that aggressive play, though, which may give you a good average, but low OBP as well.

Comparing him to Infante isn't crazy at all. The difference is that they change the scoreboard in two different ways (Cano with BA, Infante with SA).

And 1 is a rookie and the other isn't. ;-)

Cano's lack of walks alarms me but it does when it comes to Reyes as well. Hopefully, both of their eyes will come around.
Lofunzo

Postby DK » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
DK wrote:Let me clarify that I never said that Cano was garbage (and yes, I have seen him play). He walks as much as Albert Belle gave interviews, which isn't a good sign, but he's young so that happens. He doesn't look like he'll ever change that aggressive play, though, which may give you a good average, but low OBP as well.

And 1 is a rookie and the other isn't. ;-)

Cano's lack of walks alarms me but it does when it comes to Reyes as well. Hopefully, both of their eyes will come around.

Who was talking about their ages? I was merely comparing the two based on their statistics this season, rather than their future output.

How did Reyes come into this conversation? :-? Anyway... If you want to compare those two I would say Reyes is the better player. I don't think Reyes' eye will come around unless Willie forces him to, and it seems like he's trying. (Re: quotes from Willie to the press about how he needs to improve his plate discipline or he'll never be a good leadoff hitter, etc.) Jose is younger and has more discipline than Cano at this point (24 walks and 73 strikeouts in 146 games/16 walks and 62 strikeouts in 116 games), but it's close.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:02 pm

Hall of Famer?? Who's overreacting now??

certainly not me. i said he'd be a starting-worthy 2b and nothing beyond that.

moreover, i've seen a lot of people claiming stuff like:
Most of the discussions here about Cano have been about people saying that he's crap

and
et all you experts claim he'll suck having never even seen the kid play.

but i don't really recall seeing a lot of people saying that cano is "garbage" or "crap" or "he'll suck". on the contrary, people seem to be saying (and i know i have) that cano is an all-right player who projects to be starting somewhere but not an all-star. in fact, quote me some instances of people saying cano sucks (note: not that he's over-hyped by the NY media and NY fans. because plenty of people have said that, and it doesn't amount to saying "cano sucks")
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers