I Love Ozzie Guillen... ;-) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Love Ozzie Guillen... ;-)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Love Ozzie Guillen... ;-)

Postby JTWood » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:28 am

Calling it like he sees it. I love it. I wish there were more managers like this simply for the fun reads they would provide me on a consistant basis.

ESPN.com wrote:KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen questions whether Damaso Marte is really hurt and criticized the reliever for showing up late for a game last weekend.

"If Marte's not ready to help this team, he can have a nice trip to the Dominican Republic by himself," Guillen said before the White Sox played Kansas City on Wednesday night.

Marte's sore neck was examined Wednesday in Chicago by team physician Dr. Charles Bush-Joseph, and the team said Marte has a strained muscle on the side of his upper back.

"He said Marte is fine. He's 100 percent to go," Guillen said after learning of the doctor's diagnosis. "If makes you wonder if the injury was mentally or physically. If the injury was mental, it's a shame because that kid has better stuff than a lot of people in this game."

Marte, a left-handed reliever, is 3-3 with a 3.43 ERA in 60 appearances. He has not pitched since Sept. 7, when he faced two Kansas City batters and hit them both.

On Aug. 21, his ERA was 2.78.

"I don't want this kid just to make an excuse that he was hurt just because he was giving it up," Guillen said. "A lot of guys in this game give up home runs, base hits. I don't want him to use (it) as an excuse to fake an injury. I don't think he was. I just worry about the mental.

"When you're hurt physically, you can recover. When it is mental, you don't know when it is going to show up and you don't know when it is going to stay at home. Mentally, we need guys to show up every day. I don't know if he's ready to do that for the team."

Guillen sent Marte home Sunday after he showed up late.

"That's my rules," Guillen said. "If you don't like it out, get it out of here. If he's got a personal problem, let me or one of my coaches know. ... It is not an easy decision, I made. Do we need him? Yes. Is he a big part of the group? Yes. Can we play without him? Yes.

"I think Marte took it the wrong way. He has to be ready to play. If he thinks he can do whatever he wants on this club, he's not going to do whatever he wants to do on this club. I'm not going to let anybody do whatever he wants. You can't be showing up late, when we need you. If you're injured, everybody in baseball knows you have to be first one in ballpark to get ready.

Guillen said Marte could rejoin the club this weekend in Minnesota. He doesn't know whether Marte will be included on the postseason roster.

"We have two weeks to make a decision on playoff roster," Guillen said. "He doesn't have to show me. He's got to show his teammates. You don't have to show me anything. I didn't come here to make friends. I came here to be the best manager I can. You got to make those guys believe you are ready to go. If you're not ready to go, I'm sorry and I'll take my chances in a different way."
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:13 am

Why would you publically call out your guy? It makes no sense to me. Talk to him in private. If Guillen thinks he can keep burning bridges like this and be a successfull manager, he's crazier than I thought.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:27 pm

I don't know...I kinda like it. If Guillen thinks that the only chance of salvaging this guy is to do this AND if he's taken the pulse of the players of the team and they're not happy about Marte either than I think it's a great move.

Then again, Guillen could just be nuts. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

asf

Postby joeg24 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:09 pm

The White Sox are in serious trouble all of a sudden. Check this out

Remaining games

CLE
KC - 7
TB - 3
CHW - 6

CHW
MIN - 7
DET - 4
CLE - 6

Including the final 3 games of the year being IN CLE.... the lead stands at 5 right now

This will be very interesting, a month ago it was locked up...
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:15 pm

Sounds like Guillen thinks he's threatening a borderline major league player. The problem is, perhaps Marte would rather get out than stay under Guillen. That doesn't exactly mean he's out of a job. That just means the Sox lost a valuable left-handed reliever.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby pmacxx2 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 pm

The bottom line is that the White Sox control their own fate. They have a 5-game lead, but their 6 games up in the loss column. The loss column is all that matters this time of year. If the Sox go 7-10 and the Tribe goes 11-5, the White Sox would still win the division. The Sox's pitching is simply too good for that to happen in my opinion. Not to mention the Tribe has been extremely hot the last 3 weeks, so the law of averages says they will cool off somewhat.

As for Marte, he will be pitching again for the Sox this season. You couldn't have picked a worse time for his ass to go AWOL, but Ozzie will see them through this. Marte is simply too valuable as a second lefty out of the pen. But make no mistake, Marte is the 2nd lefty out of that pen behind Neal Cotts. Neal Cotts is a stud.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

tr

Postby joeg24 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:33 pm

That's a good point, however with 6 head to head games, all logic and "too good of pitchers" goes out the window as those games are going to crazy, also 7 games against the hated Twins vs 7 vs the horrible Royals is QUITE a difference. Don't overlook the hands around the neck feeling that the Sox are going to be feeling in those games too vs the high the Indians must be on.

The fact that we are talking about this is amazing with that lead they had! I'd give the Sox a 70% chance as a 5 game lead is huge at this point, I don't like either team, but this makes the end of the season a lot more interesting and gives me a reason other then Baker/Liriano to watch my Twins.

I hope it's under three for that 3 game series to end the year in Cleveland...
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nikku88 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:47 pm

I usually like Ozzie, but I hate to see managers/administration complain about injuries, especially to pitchers as then they end up pitching through pain until they get a serious injury.
The Mariners have always done this and it's one of the reasons they are near the top in injured prospects.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:02 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why would you publically call out your guy? It makes no sense to me. Talk to him in private. If Guillen thinks he can keep burning bridges like this and be a successfull manager, he's crazier than I thought.

Exactly. What an ass. And Ozzie is considered a "player's manager?" Give me a f'ing break. He immediately thinks that he's faking an injury. Jesus christ. I'm sorry, but not everybody is Cal Ripken, Jr. I'd love to see him in the same locker room with JD Drew.

I thought he overstepped his boundaries when he got into a bleeping contest with Magglio Ordonez (what he should've done is "take the higher road"...which is politically correct), but this is just over the top. How do you expect your players to play for you if this is how you're going to treat them? I understand that being honest is good, but there has to be some secrecy in terms of what's going on in the clubhouse.

Ozzie's going to be gone due to his personality sooner or later. You can count on it.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:57 pm

:-t :-t

That's just terrible. You'd never see a classy manager like Torre call his players out to the media.

Just very unprofessional :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers