Are you this desperate about gas prices? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Are you this desperate about gas prices?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:57 am

slomo007 wrote:LOL...Tav, how long have you been waiting to find a thread to use that pic in? :-b

I didn't even like the movies, but it was the first thing that came to mind. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:14 am

What a strange guy. :-o

Don't say this too loudly, but gas has actually gone down here recently. Filled up yesterday:

Cheapie: $2.82
Mid Grade: $2.91
High Grade: $3.02

Shhhh......don't let the oil companies find out.........

And how bad is it that I'm now conditioned to think those are good prices? 6 months ago, it was still under $2 a gallon. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:08 am

Yeah I know what you mean...I filled up at 2.99 a few days ago and almost jumped for joy.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby JTWood » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 am

Madison wrote:What a strange guy. :-o

Don't say this too loudly, but gas has actually gone down here recently. Filled up yesterday:

Cheapie: $2.82
Mid Grade: $2.91
High Grade: $3.02

Shhhh......don't let the oil companies find out.........

And how bad is it that I'm now conditioned to think those are good prices? 6 months ago, it was still under $2 a gallon. :-/

Yeah, we're down to $2.60 around here. I'm still waiting for the big home heating bills that are supposed to hit us this winter.

:-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:55 am

A little tidbit from a history student:

I forget during what war it was, but in the US, people used a fuel for their cars made out of corn. Not so important really, but just a point to how we have been conditioned to believe that gas is really the only way for us to fill up our automobiles.

Not to dance in that forum of politics, just funny how 50 odd years ago we made adjustments during war-time.

Interesting, no? :-?
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:24 am

thomasps3 wrote:A little tidbit from a history student:

I forget during what war it was, but in the US, people used a fuel for their cars made out of corn. Not so important really, but just a point to how we have been conditioned to believe that gas is really the only way for us to fill up our automobiles.

Not to dance in that forum of politics, just funny how 50 odd years ago we made adjustments during war-time.

Interesting, no? :-?

It's called Ethanol and you can still get it some places.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:34 am

So you can eat dead animals but you can't use them for fuel? I don't get it. I'll take 1,000 dead cats please so I can use them for fuel ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:50 pm

Sort of in relation to this topic, I saw an article in the Washington Post that read "Gas prices making you balk? Be glad you're not from Britain."

I understand that gas prices in Britain, as well as the rest of Europe, are considerably higher than they are here. People over there roll their eyes when us Yankees (and Mets) complain about our gas prices going up to a tawdry $3 a gallon. Even many Americans use the England excuse as a way to shush up gas-price naysayers and Bush-bashers.

However, it seems that public transporation is a luxury in Europe that does extend to rural and even suburban America. With and more people living outside of cities, where gas prices are even higher anyway, they are inherently moving away from public transportation. Every city in England has access to trains, buses and an extensive subway system in London alone. Few Europeans even own cars and the ones that do either forego the available public transit and suck up the gas prices without complaint, or simply use their automobiles in the rare occassion that calls for it.

I'm just saying that in a country as big as America featuring a feeble public transportation system, you'd only think it's fair that our gas prices are lower. Now, the problem may very well be that us American's can't live without absurd f***-you-mobiles like Hummers, and it is part of the problem, but the fact remains that a lack of viable transporation alternatives is what ultimately drives Americans to complain about gas prices.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:07 pm

Coppermine wrote:public transporation is a luxury

Did I just read that???

:-S :-S :-S
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:09 pm

Hey, i'd love to use public transportation than waste money on gas. Maybe city buses and subways are gross, but it's cheap.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk