AL Manager of the Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Manager of the Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:59 am

If the Indians make it a really close race for the central I think Wedge will win the award.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:27 am

winner of the central should win it
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: AL Manager of the Year?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:28 pm

RynMan wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:I don't think Guillen made the offense better in a sense of stats. What he did to make the offense better was he made it to where they didn't have to have a HR or 3 to win the ballgame. He figured out that playing smallball and doing the fundamentals of baseball could produce runs as well. AL teams now are all about HR's. Guillen thought outside the box and tried NL style ball and it's worked. Not to mention the emergence of Garland has help solidfy the pitching. And Jenks 101mph fastball to end games with the 86mph hammer... F I L T H Y! Guillen wins hands down for me.

Well the Sox are 4th in HR's....seems to me as if they are still relying on the long ball. It's not that the Sox are playing "small ball", their starting pitching is doing incredible.
Exactly they are talking small ball and still relying on the HR. The SP has made the difference.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby bselig » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:27 pm

Guillen is the obvious winner, the sox are nasty in close games...sorry, no manager of the year for wedge
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:03 pm

RynMan wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:I don't think Guillen made the offense better in a sense of stats. What he did to make the offense better was he made it to where they didn't have to have a HR or 3 to win the ballgame. He figured out that playing smallball and doing the fundamentals of baseball could produce runs as well. AL teams now are all about HR's. Guillen thought outside the box and tried NL style ball and it's worked. Not to mention the emergence of Garland has help solidfy the pitching. And Jenks 101mph fastball to end games with the 86mph hammer... F I L T H Y! Guillen wins hands down for me.

Well the Sox are 4th in HR's....seems to me as if they are still relying on the long ball. It's not that the Sox are playing "small ball", their starting pitching is doing incredible.

[sarcasm]Not to nitpick, but there's a slight grammatical error in your post. I believe you meant to write that the White Sox pitching WAS doing incredible. When referring to the past tense, the proper form of the verb 'to be' is 'was'.[/sarcasm]

If the White Sox get caught by the Indians, or if the White Sox end up with anything but the best record in the AL then Guillen's chances plummet, IMO. He'll probably still win it though, because the media have bought into the whole 'smallball' spiel and will reward it.

And to comment on an earlier post, I have no idea what to make of Macha. I've got real mixed feelings about him. He showed a lot of patience working with the younger players, but his lineups and in-game managerial skills often strike me as ... odd.

Though I did like his move last night where he replaced Payton with Ginter. Not as a pinch-hitter, but as a defensive replacement. He had five infielders at the end of the BoSox game last night in order to try and prevent the run scoring from 3rd on a ground ball. Of course it was all for naught as Ramirez got the GWRBI after getting hit by a pitch. :~(
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby RynMan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:35 pm

ramble2 wrote: Of course it was all for naught as Ramirez got the GWRBI after getting hit by a pitch. :~(

And here lies the idiocy of it all. Nice defensive replacements Ken. Too bad you threw out a mop-up guy into a tight game. Oh, and this also illustrates why you don't intentionally walk the bases loaded with the winning run on 3rd.....even if it is David Ortiz. Sorry ramble, I really don't like him a great deal. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ramble2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:38 am

RynMan wrote:
ramble2 wrote: Of course it was all for naught as Ramirez got the GWRBI after getting hit by a pitch. :~(

And here lies the idiocy of it all. Nice defensive replacements Ken. Too bad you threw out a mop-up guy into a tight game. Oh, and this also illustrates why you don't intentionally walk the bases loaded with the winning run on 3rd.....even if it is David Ortiz. Sorry ramble, I really don't like him a great deal. :-/

Oh, walking the bases loaded was a horrible move. He brought Ginter in before that. But walking Ortiz and relying on Yabu not to put Ramirez on base? Horrible.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BritSox » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:23 am

I'd really love to see the look on Joe Morgan's face if the ChiSox choke and get caught by the Indians, after all the ballwashing of that team he's done this year.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:51 am

Eric Wedge should win, Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox completely choked and he doesn't deserve it after the suckfest that has been August/September. He'll win regardless though.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:14 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Eric Wedge should win, Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox completely choked and he doesn't deserve it after the suckfest that has been August/September. He'll win regardless though.

Yet we should overlook the Indians 9-14 April? Or their slow start and the fact on July 20th the Indians were only 1 game over .500? Much credit is due to Wedge leading the Indians 2nd half surge, but he also has to be held responsible for the Indians slipping out of the gate. Sounds like you're operating with some serious Northside bias.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers