Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Mike Scioscia

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RynMan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:36 pm

NO. No love for Ken Macha.
The guy is a terrible manager.

Here is just one example, which happened tonight:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=157605

And it's not just tonight - he does it all the time.

Please don't be fooled by the win/loss record in relation to what people's perceived strength of the A's prior to the season. A's fans could have told you they would be as strong as they are prior to the season beginning....it's NOT because Ken Macha became a great manager, because he definately is not. Pittsburgh can have him.
Last edited by RynMan on Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tmoney » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:48 pm

With the low expectations most people had for the White Sox coming into this season, Ozzie Guillen should win hands down.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:23 am

There's no question in my mind that Ozzie Guillen will win this award. However...

Eric Wedge has certainly earned it.

Who would I vote for? Probably Guillen.

But I picked the Tribe to win the Central and they have the best record since April 22nd I think was the date they mentioned last night... It's a tough call. They're both deserving.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:08 pm

I thought Ozzie until the Sox started choking. Not sure now.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby djack909 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Torre ? No way. I don't miss an inning of any Yankee game. Example: in a game against the White Sox 2 weeks ago, down 1-0 in the bottom of the 8th, Womack singles to lead off. Jeter bunts on the first pitch and Womack is left stranded on 2B. Torre had the best bat control batter on his team sacrifice with Womack on 1st ? Top of the ninth he lets Embre (LHP) face Konerko. Paul takes him deep. A-Rods dinger in the bottom of the 9th means nothing in a 2-1 loss.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: AL Manager of the Year?

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:29 am

blankman wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Wedge definitely should be up there. I might still vote for Guillen despite Chicago's dropoff, because his style of ball really took the league by storm for a while, and put them far out ahead enough that I doubt they're worrying that much.

I know this has probably been beaten to death but Guillen's style of play wasn't the difference this year. It was the improvement in the SP.

Yup. Pretty sad that so many think their offense got better this year and that Pods made them better :-P

I'd vote Cleveland.

I don't think Guillen made the offense better in a sense of stats. What he did to make the offense better was he made it to where they didn't have to have a HR or 3 to win the ballgame. He figured out that playing smallball and doing the fundamentals of baseball could produce runs as well. AL teams now are all about HR's. Guillen thought outside the box and tried NL style ball and it's worked. Not to mention the emergence of Garland has help solidfy the pitching. And Jenks 101mph fastball to end games with the 86mph hammer... F I L T H Y! Guillen wins hands down for me.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:49 am

Guillen ;-D
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: AL Manager of the Year?

Postby RynMan » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:33 am

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:I don't think Guillen made the offense better in a sense of stats. What he did to make the offense better was he made it to where they didn't have to have a HR or 3 to win the ballgame. He figured out that playing smallball and doing the fundamentals of baseball could produce runs as well. AL teams now are all about HR's. Guillen thought outside the box and tried NL style ball and it's worked. Not to mention the emergence of Garland has help solidfy the pitching. And Jenks 101mph fastball to end games with the 86mph hammer... F I L T H Y! Guillen wins hands down for me.

Well the Sox are 4th in HR's....seems to me as if they are still relying on the long ball. It's not that the Sox are playing "small ball", their starting pitching is doing incredible.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers