Katrina photo ops - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Katrina photo ops

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Katrina photo ops

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:36 pm

I think that it is admirable that all of these celebrities want to help out the hurricane victims but it's getting out of hand.

First I see pics of Kobe down at the Alamodome signing autographs and shaking hands then during the football game last night they went into a big thing about how Terrell Owens flew down to the Alamodome to meet play with the kids and hand out food.

It seems like every athlete with media problems is using this as an excuse to rehab their images. A coupld of hours shaking hands and signing autographs is not going to cut it. This pisses me off more than anything. Seriously, what is a person who's home and entire city has been destroyed going to do with Kobe's autograph?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Katrina photo ops

Postby Phatferd » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:39 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I think that it is admirable that all of these celebrities want to help out the hurricane victims but it's getting out of hand.

First I see pics of Kobe down at the Alamodome signing autographs and shaking hands then during the football game last night they went into a big thing about how Terrell Owens flew down to the Alamodome to meet play with the kids and hand out food.

It seems like every athlete with media problems is using this as an excuse to rehab their images. A coupld of hours shaking hands and signing autographs is not going to cut it. This pisses me off more than anything. Seriously, what is a person who's home and entire city has been destroyed going to do with Kobe's autograph?

How do you know they aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts?

I'm just saying.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I think that it is admirable that all of these celebrities want to help out the hurricane victims but it's getting out of hand.

This pisses you off more than anything? I highly doubt that.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:52 pm

Phatferd wrote:

I'm just saying.

Could be.

But I see where he's coming from.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Phatferd » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:08 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

I'm just saying.

Could be.

My only problem is if people want to do something nice they get criticisized for it. If John Doe decides to give his time or money to victims he's applauded, if a famous person does it they are a publicity whore.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:26 pm

Phatferd wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

I'm just saying.

Could be.

My only problem is if people want to do something nice they get criticisized for it. If John Doe decides to give his time or money to victims he's applauded, if a famous person does it they are a publicity whore.

That's fine - but how come when they help out they have to alert Monday Night Football and Entertainment Tonight and they go with a bunch of photographers?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:35 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

I'm just saying.

Could be.

That's fine - but how come when they help out they have to alert Monday Night Football and Entertainment Tonight and they go with a bunch of photographers?

In TOs and Kobes case, I highly doubt they brought there own photographers, there is a lot of media down there right now so its not hard to be caught on camera.

Even if they did, don't you think as famous people they have the ability to pursuade things? Maybe they want the attention so other people will want to do the same. Maybe 1 person will watch them and be like, "look at that kid sitting on Kobes lap, that kid has a family and a home that is destroyed, I wish I could do something to help out a kid just like him."

I'm not trying to pick a fight and I agree some celebrities do things solely as a photo op, but I just don't think its my place to make that judgement. I can't tell anyone why they are doing something, its not my right.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Seriously, what is a person who's home and entire city has been destroyed going to do with Kobe's autograph?

Add it to the collection of jerseys, shoes, and Rolexes that they stole last week?

ps - What is the proper way to pluralize Rolex?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:50 pm

The media is everywhere these guys go, and I know that would make a 10 year old kids day after all of this that has happend to him. Metting Kobe Bryant would make him feel so much better, and for that moment make all of this go away. So I do not see how this pisses you off so much.
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:00 pm

I can see where you're coming from, Mookie, but don't let this make you criticize those celebrities who have done things for the victims without seeking publicity.

Sean Penn rescued dozens of people in a little boat
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... b_eo/17336

Al Gore rescued over 270 victims because he could afford to help. http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.gore.ap/

There have been some truly inspiring stories to come out of New Orleans in the last few weeks. Don't sour on every celebrity.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk