All Time Greatest Sports Video Games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

All Time Greatest Sports Video Games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:00 pm

My personal favorites:

Punch Out
Double Dribble
World Series Baseball (Saturn)

Also enjoyed Mario Golf and Tennis ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I can't take this seriously since Tecmo Bowl didn't even reach the finals. :-t :-t

Greatest sports game ever. Period. Both the original Tecmo Bowl in which LT and Ronnie Lott were God's gift to defense and faster than Barry, Emmit, and Bo Jackson, and Tecmo Super Bowl where you could choose your Pro Bowl teams position by position and play. Nothing better than the 4 play playbook and if the D chose your play, all 11 players tackled your QB before he could drop back or hand off. Once again...

...best. game. ever. period.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby AT » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:53 am

Big Pimpin wrote:I got through my freshman year of college with Bill Walsh CF for Genesis. Then my sophomore year we lived on Ken Griffey Baseball for N64. Good times, good times.

Tecmo was awesome at the time, and I remember how far things had come when Walsh and Madden started coming out for Genesis. We thought they were the best freaking games ever. It's amazing how far video games have come in 10 or 15 years.

I'm 100% with you on BW College Football for Genesis. I loved that game...

Hey, aren't we supposed to be going to the Yankee game next week?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:24 am

Yeah, TSB should be the all-time best. How could it not be?

Absolute best head-to-head sports game ever. And if they could have made it a 4-player game it would have been the best sports party game ever.

Another aspect that makes it so good is the simple controls and ease to learn. You could take someone that's never played before and they'd know what they were doing by the end of the 1st half.

And if you had no one to play with it had endless replayability with all the stats it kept. TSB III is actually one I love to play with trading, free agency, stats stats and more stats, unlocking the all-time greats (HOFers), and some bizarre glitches. I've got one cart that I abused that you can only play the Pro Bowl on and every single player is Scott Zolak. No lie.

To keep TSB challenging I play some seasons as defense only. As soon as I take possession I must punt or kick a field goal with no onsides kicks and no kick/punt returns. Very challenging and you rack up some crazy defensive stats.

The tecmos are also some of the most infuriating games and many a controller has felt my wrath. TSBIII unfortunately incorporates random spin moves and wayyyy over accentuates the rushing power stat.

A great Tecmo community is at http://www.knobbe.org

The simplicity factor is what makes Ken Griffey Jr Presents MLB for SNES so great. People who are expecting a baseball simulator are rightfully disappointed. You have to get into the game's quirks and realize you're in a whole other dimension where Sid Bream steals bases more easily than Rickey Henderson and the most common out is the soft line drive.

I remember when it came out my buddy and I would "research" through our baseball cards to find out who the lesser known players were. The game doesn't have the real players names, but has their stats and abilities - with a name editor you can change it. Now it's as simple as going to the 1993 rosters at baseball-reference.com.

I still play it to this day. To make it more challenging I use mostly bench players.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:13 am

1. NHL 93
2. RBI Baseball
3. Blades of Steel
4. NHL 94
5. Tecmo Bowl
6. NBA Jam
7. Mike Tyson Punch Out

;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:08 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I got through my freshman year of college with Bill Walsh CF for Genesis. Then my sophomore year we lived on Ken Griffey Baseball for N64. Good times, good times.

Tecmo was awesome at the time, and I remember how far things had come when Walsh and Madden started coming out for Genesis. We thought they were the best freaking games ever. It's amazing how far video games have come in 10 or 15 years.

I'm 100% with you on BW College Football for Genesis. I loved that game...

Hey, aren't we supposed to be going to the Yankee game next week?

Hey, we are supposed to be going to the Yankee game next Saturday. I'm all over that! ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to General Talk