All Time Greatest Sports Video Games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

All Time Greatest Sports Video Games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:01 am

prodpaul wrote:Where's Earl Weaver Baseball??? That game rocked. I would not have gotten though college without it. ;-D
I'm glad someone else remembers that game.
BEST BASEBALL GAME EVER! The graphics sucked but the gameplay and options were awesome.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:46 am

Never heard of Earl Weaver Baseball...

Tecmo Bowl was the best of all time. By far. Tecmo Super Bowl was probably a superior video game but I'll stick to the original since I probably played it more. I still can't remember how many times I would call a couple of my buddies the conversation would be nothing more than "Hello?", followed by, "Super Tec?" and the phone would hang up and they'd be at my house within 5 minutes. Barry Sanders was god in Tecmo Super Bowl. I can't remember if Tecmo Bo was in the original or in Super but I think it was original. Using him and the 49ers was like cheating. Same with Walter Payton and Mike Singletary. LT? Forget about it...

Same thing goes for #2 on my list. NHLPA 93. 94 was probably a better game but since I played 93 more and it was the original (EA Sports hockey game) I'll give it the nod.

As for Baseball? Bases Loaded was my favorite but Baseball Stars is a close second. For whatever reason I didn't get too into RBI Baseball but it was definitely the best game to play against a friend since there were at least real players involved.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:54 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Never heard of Earl Weaver Baseball...
I'm here to educate.
link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:01 am

What baseball game was the one where players could jump to catch line drives for the original Nintendo? That was an innovation at the time. I'll have to look into it, I'd know it if I saw the cartridge. But that was my favorite baseball game by far.

Until the one for Genesis came out and the Blue Jays were stacked. They rated guys on a scale up to 12, and Gerald Williams had a 12 for speed and power!
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby AT » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:38 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:Never heard of Earl Weaver Baseball...
I'm here to educate.
link

;-D Thanks Pogo. That game seems like it would've been a lot of fun to play.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:51 am

chadlincoln wrote:
wrveres wrote:The greatest game ever ... Hands down. ;-D

I totally forgot about this game. I just got on eBay and am watching a few. I loved playing that as a kid. ;-D

Target was selling that and the football game in a package for $15.00 last Christmas .. I had to pick one up .. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:32 pm

wrveres wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
wrveres wrote:The greatest game ever ... Hands down. ;-D

I totally forgot about this game. I just got on eBay and am watching a few. I loved playing that as a kid. ;-D

Target was selling that and the football game in a package for $15.00 last Christmas .. I had to pick one up .. ;-D

I got one for my Dad last X-mas. ;-D ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:15 pm

The coolest thing I ever owned as a kid was one of these bad boys.

The noise it put out as it launched the mini-pinballs drove my mother completely insane. That might have been why I loved it so much.

As far as video games go I second Madison's orginal list minus NBA Jam. I never could get into those style of sports games. Baseball Stars (chicks pitching underhand), Bases Loaded (beaning Paste every time he came up to bat) and Tecmo Bowl (once you perfected the weave the game was over) were all classics.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Tecmo Super Bowl, Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey are the best three I remember.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:48 pm

I got through my freshman year of college with Bill Walsh CF for Genesis. Then my sophomore year we lived on Ken Griffey Baseball for N64. Good times, good times.

Tecmo was awesome at the time, and I remember how far things had come when Walsh and Madden started coming out for Genesis. We thought they were the best freaking games ever. It's amazing how far video games have come in 10 or 15 years.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk