Delmon goes off... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon goes off...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:24 pm

I Don't know if someone already mentioned this but it looks like if the Rays put him on the ML Roster starting after May 1st of next season they'll get him for that season and 3 more as opposed to if they put him on the opening day roster they would only have him for 3 years instead of 3 plus. Looks like Ol' Delmon will be starting the season at AAA. I'm sure he'll be thrilled.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I Don't know if someone already mentioned this but it looks like if the Rays put him on the ML Roster starting after May 1st of next season they'll get him for that season and 3 more as opposed to if they put him on the opening day roster they would only have him for 3 years instead of 3 plus. Looks like Ol' Delmon will be starting the season at AAA. I'm sure he'll be thrilled.

Yep.
It's strictly bidness.
Young shouldn't be popping off at age 19 about how to run a franchise, no matter how valid his argument. Heck, Kobe waited until he was, what, 27 or so, to take control of the Lakers.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Jury » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:23 pm

Whether or not the Devil Rays are just trying to save moneys, a player who is touted as being one of the next big things should just wait for his opportunity, and then slug the lights out when his time comes. There is a point in one's career when he has the freedom to play wherever he wishes.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LooseCannon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:34 pm

TB13 wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:This is just DUMB by Delmon and I can't believe his agent didn't tell him to shut his mouth.

But he IS correct in his assessment. What are the 'Rays going to do, trade him? This is not going to affect him at all.

Well this is going to change his fan's prespectives on him... and I understand that players who say things like that aren't going to be "favorites" like A-Rod and Pujols.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby looptid » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:41 pm

I think LaMar is correct on this one. The Rays aren't going anywhere even if Young is called up. Why push him into arbitration and free agency when he will have no impact on the major league club? The longer you can keep him in Triple-A, the more of his peak years you will control later on. Of course completely alienating him has its drawbacks as well.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:41 pm

I don't think this changes anything as people aren't likely to remember in a couple years.

Of course Baseball America's favorite comparison for him is Albert Belle in his prime. We all know how congenial Belle was...
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:15 pm

I agree. The Rays with LaMar is a totally inept baseball team and I hope that the new ownership takes care of this. Why would a team like the Rays want to get rid of the best hitter on the team like Huff. Makes no sense to me, but I hope the Mets can get him for first AFTER LaMar is gone. I don't want them to give the Rays Petit, Milledge, Bannister, Cameron, A. Hernandez, Keppinger, Seo, Heilman, Padilla, Bell, Hamulack, Jacobs, Ring, Humber, and Pelfrey for Huff.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:47 pm

Hey... Lamar's suckitude has payed off with all the high draft picks.

Crawford
Upton
Gomes
Young
Huff
Baldelli
Cantu
Lugo
Hall

isn't so bad of a lineup.
:-b
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Isn't Delmon batting .285 with a .303 on-base percentage and 6 home runs in 52 games in AAA?

Right. And he should be in the majors now. :-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:55 am

I got this from baseballmusings.com

On the heels of being called "cheap" by their top prospect two days ago, the Devil Rays took another hit from the agent of another prized youngster.
B.J. Upton's agent, Larry Reynolds, told The Tampa Tribune he didn't appreciate comments made Tuesday by GM Chuck LaMar that called into question Upton's future position in the major leagues.

"I'm tired of reading about the club's opinion of B.J. Upton in the paper," Reynolds told The Tribune. "If they don't think he can play shortstop, they should seriously think about trading him."

We can only hope they trade him to Baltimore so they can once again corner the market on BJs.

Full disclosure: Larry Reynolds is Harold Reynolds' brother and I've had conversations with him in the past.

Maybe TB should start having some conversations with their prospects.

Also does it strike anyone else as a huge conflict of interest that Harold Reynold's brother is an agent?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers