Delmon goes off... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon goes off...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:56 pm

jellyroll wrote:He should have done this behind close doors (if he hadn't already) ... but he is right in what he is saying.

What he needs is experience, a taste of the bigs, and the Minors is all but done for the year.

He's not going to wither up and die if he doesn't get major league experience this instant. I don't see why he's complaining about this. What's so horrible about waiting another six months? Not calling him up is a smart move. Why sacrifice a year for a month-long stint that means very little in the long run? Save his big league time for sometime when the D-Rays might be better.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:00 pm

What he said is 100% the truth and it is time that their management heard somebody say this. But it shouldn't of been from him. True that it couldn't hurt him too much because the worst that could happen is get traded, and Im sure he is ok with that. But this could build up a bad reputation for him as not like being a "team" players and people might start viewing him as a T.O. or Milton Bradley or someone like that.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jellyroll » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Pedantic wrote:
jellyroll wrote:He should have done this behind close doors (if he hadn't already) ... but he is right in what he is saying.

What he needs is experience, a taste of the bigs, and the Minors is all but done for the year.

He's not going to wither up and die if he doesn't get major league experience this instant. I don't see why he's complaining about this. What's so horrible about waiting another six months? Not calling him up is a smart move. Why sacrifice a year for a month-long stint that means very little in the long run? Save his big league time for sometime when the D-Rays might be better.

I understand he isn't going to wither away, but seems like a lost oppurtunity to gain momentum heading into the off-season, rather than leave him stagnant and upset. It's a win-win. If he sucks, he realizes he needs to work harder. If he is successful he takes that into next season.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Melo255 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:08 pm

Delmon can say whatever he wants right now and nobody will remember it a couple years from now when he is batting .320 with 35/40 120/110 numbers. He will be exceptionally marketable and his mouthing off a little now won't harm him or his marketbility for the future in the slightest.

Not to mention...he was 100% correct in what he said.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaQ » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Atta boy Delmon! (he wants me to be able to bring him up from my Minors in my league :-D )

I see both sides to this. He shouldn't have made it public, but he is correct. Lamar is an idiot. My English teacher (a BIG D-Rays fan) wants to kill Lamar in his sleep...he said so :-o

SIMILAR ANECDOTE: I did this to my track coach in 10th grade. He had me on the "B" team and I was beating some guys on the "A" team. I went in and told him about this (in front of a couple of kids lol) and he told me that he knows best. The next day, I was on the "A" team. ;-D
Last edited by DaQ on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:16 pm

People may not like what he said, even though everything he spoke was the truth. Should he of said it in that way? Prolly not, as it doesn't make him look that good. But I'm partly glad that some people will actualy call out the organization on what it's doing.

One bit of info I find very interesting is that they never even called to talk about this with him. They couldn't pick up the phone and say we know your our best prospect but "hey blah blah this is what we are doing". That IMO just begins to show how the Rays mismanage and it obviously doesn't end there.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigken117 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:48 pm

I agree with most everyone that what he said was right, but he doesn't need to be saying it. Him threatening the Rays by saying he will explore FA because of this though is odd (for lack of a better word). He's my #1 prospect by a mile, but that's still no guarantee he doesn't become the next Gregg Jeffries or something.

If the Rays handled him the way he says they did, where he read online (maybe here :-? ) that he wasn't going to be called up this season, he's got good reason to be pi$$ed. He's the future of that franchise, and in 2013 when he's 26/27 the Sox and Yanks will both write him blank checks...
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:52 pm

hybrid wrote:People may not like what he said, even though everything he spoke was the truth. Should he of said it in that way? Prolly not, as it doesn't make him look that good. But I'm partly glad that some people will actualy call out the organization on what it's doing.

One bit of info I find very interesting is that they never even called to talk about this with him. They couldn't pick up the phone and say we know your our best prospect but "hey blah blah this is what we are doing". That IMO just begins to show how the Rays mismanage and it obviously doesn't end there.

THe fact of the matter is this...and rather unsolvable.
1. Are the Rays cheap bastards? Yessir, they are. Is Rays' management bad? Yessir, it is.
However
2. Is it the correct BUSINESS move to not call Delmon up so that he's arbitration eligible later rather than sooner? Yes, certainly.

So, Delmon's obviously not going to be happy. But IMO, this is what the Rays should do. If they really wanted to bother fielding the best team right now, BJ would be here as a DH.

I don't think this affects Delmon's rep at all. The Rays themselves won't really do anything to him, since he's their #1 prospect and superb. What are they going to do...get rid of him? Yeah, right. He's not going to hurt his rep when he becomes an FA in six years, either since he's a. going to contribute a lot in the bigs by then and b. most of the other organizations are probably laughing this off and agree with him that the Rays are just cheap bastards. That's their reputation in the league already, anyway.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:06 am

I don't think this affects Delmon's rep much, and it's for a reason no one has really said yet... The kid is 19!! Should he have bad-mouthed his team? No probably not, but the guy is 19, frustrated, and what's to prove what he can do.

Delmon is young (Which is odd saying that, seeing as I'm all of 2 years older than him), but he's tired of not being in a competitive league. Don't blame the kid too much..

Also, why is LaMar still around? Wouldn't a GM worth anything have at least acquired some.. oh what do they call it.. pitching by now?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ironman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:57 am

Why all the bashing of the Devil Rays? They consistently put out the most competitive minor league baseball team year-in and year-out.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers