Delmon goes off... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon goes off...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Delmon goes off...

Postby bigken117 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:54 pm

News
The Devil Rays top prospect Delmon Young voiced his disgust with the franchise for how they do business. "The only thing I can think of is them being cheap," Young told the St. Petersburg Times. "Why not call up guys when you're 50 games out of first place and you're not going to the playoffs? They're so worried about saving dollars and cents, and they can't compete with no one." General manager Chuck LaMar claimed that Young wasn't called up because he was tired, but the 19 year old claims that isn't true.

Views
The main reason the most promising prospects take longer to be called up is that small-market teams that are building toward the future, need to adhere to more efficient business practices. A major part of that is not calling up players early in order to avoid accelerating their eligibility for salary arbitration, thus keeping them affordable, for a longer time. Young's talents are without question, but he has little left to prove at the minor league level. If the Devil Rays hope to keep him for the majority of his career, they'll need to realize this sooner than later.

Damn, he sounds pissed, and he should be.
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:55 pm

I still do not understand how LaMar is still the GM for the DRays. Have they finished anywhere near .500? Ever?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:57 pm

bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:23 pm

As frustrated as Delmon must be, I truly don't understand why any player would publicly embarrass his own team like that. He's 19 years old. His time will come. I don't see why he would start shooting his mouth off, bad-mouthing his own team in a pretty vicous way, and get a reputation as a hot-headed troublemaker. Hell, another prospect on the same team (BJ Upton) has already given himself a reputation.

A bad reputation can follow you around for a LONG time and materially reduce your opportunities, especially if Delmon fizzles on his first MLB call-up.

This is just DUMB by Delmon and I can't believe his agent didn't tell him to shut his mouth.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TB13 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:31 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:This is just DUMB by Delmon and I can't believe his agent didn't tell him to shut his mouth.

But he IS correct in his assessment. What are the 'Rays going to do, trade him? This is not going to affect him at all.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:48 pm

"This is not going to affect him at all."

I totally disagree. Getting a reputation will DEFINATELY hurt him, and I have no doubt that 99 percent of people who read his outburst is thinking "what a selfish jerk" and they'd be right. The team is not obligated to bring him up, or indeed to do anything. He has no right to play in the majors. I'm sure he's getting paid a pretty penny for a 19-year-old and probably got a nice signing bonus. He can wait his turn like everyone else.

You never want to do anything that hurts your marketability. You think young guys like David Wright, who have a humble and selfless reputation, are not more marketable -- and thus likely to make more $$ -- than guys like Upton, who have a reputation for being selfish and complainers?

Personally, I have no idea why TB is keeping him in the minors. Maybe it's because of money, maybe they don't think he's ready and don't want to take any chances with their best prospect, who knows? But the bottom line is that can do whatever they want with their players and their money.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:49 pm

wow is this guy THAT good? a bit too cocky and arrogant isnt he? i dont even remember david wright saying anything when he was in the minors and the mets stuck with wiggy. hmm... this jerk better be good when he comes up.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:00 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"This is not going to affect him at all."

I totally disagree. Getting a reputation will DEFINATELY hurt him, and I have no doubt that 99 percent of people who read his outburst is thinking "what a selfish jerk" and they'd be right. The team is not obligated to bring him up, or indeed to do anything. He has no right to play in the majors. I'm sure he's getting paid a pretty penny for a 19-year-old and probably got a nice signing bonus. He can wait his turn like everyone else.

You never want to do anything that hurts your marketability. You think young guys like David Wright, who have a humble and selfless reputation, are not more marketable -- and thus likely to make more $$ -- than guys like Upton, who have a reputation for being selfish and complainers?

Personally, I have no idea why TB is keeping him in the minors. Maybe it's because of money, maybe they don't think he's ready and don't want to take any chances with their best prospect, who knows? But the bottom line is that can do whatever they want with their players and their money.

I agree. Delmon should've kept his mouth shut.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Amen

Postby bigjimblue » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:47 pm

What he said is true. But some things that are obvious do not need be said. He may be that good, but now he has the reputation of a prima donna and a troublemaker!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby jellyroll » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:49 pm

He should have done this behind close doors (if he hadn't already) ... but he is right in what he is saying.

What he needs is experience, a taste of the bigs, and the Minors is all but done for the year.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers