Combating mass spot starting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Combating mass spot starting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Combating mass spot starting

Postby theclefe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:23 pm

Playoff time in my head to head league and one owner employed four spot starters last week to push him past his opponent. Assuming I meet him in the championships, my pitching staff should easily beat out his, unless he uses 8+ spot starters in the two weeks to take wins and K's. I personally dissapprove of spot starting on such a large scale, but we have nothing that limits it, so it is legal.

My plan is to block his spot starting by periodically picking up and dropping all the upcoming starters on the FA list so they are locked in on waivers.

Nothing limits me from doing it, but do you think it is ethical? And, do you think it will be an effective tool to combat him?

12 team, H2H 5x5, 20-keeper
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:29 pm

I don't see how it could be unethical, especially if the guy you would be playing is doing the same thing. You have to do what you can do to win.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:35 pm

I thought there was a discussion like this once before. If you pick up a guy and drop him w/o using him, I don't think he hits waivers, I think he's just a FA. :-?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Rkiivs » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:37 pm

Rest easy. Ethics has nothing to do with winning. I've always maintained that all is legal in fantasy baseball as long as (1) it's not against the rules and (2) it's not exploiting a bug in the software that runs your league.

That said, I don't churn players myself. If I pick them up, I use them, even if it's for only one game.
Good morning America, how are you... Don't you know me, I'm your native son
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby benjapage » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:44 pm

my league got soft in the preseason, and we agreed there would be no churning of players...which is kind of BS since we don't charge/penalize for transactions. i think mass spot-starting takes the art out of the league. if your league has not made this bogus arrangement, then by all means, pick up and drop every MF on your waiver wire.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:46 pm

If this isn't a keeper league, just drop the bench hitters you won't be using and add the spot starters.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:27 pm

I don't see anything unethical about this, its a strategy to win. I agree with marver also btw, except make sure you don't just do your hitters, drop some of your crappier lower tier pitchers also too.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:50 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I thought there was a discussion like this once before. If you pick up a guy and drop him w/o using him, I don't think he hits waivers, I think he's just a FA. :-?

This is correct. You need to have them on your roster for one day for them to go to waivers.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:57 pm

I'm going to bet that fantasy purists are going to tell you this is not right. I'm one of those people.

If this is a public Yahoo leauge, then it is against the rules...and I pull these up all the time to answer these questions:

Yahoo ! Fantasy Baseball Rules wrote:No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

Now, if it's a Private league, then it says all things are controlled by the commissioner...but if you have a good one, they wouldn't allow this stuff to happen either. The problem is that if they didn't set a move limit or state that cycling pitchers was wrong, then I suppose you could do it.

The only thing that comes from doing this is animosty among your leaguemates and the possible "bad feeling" you may get for doing something like that. If no one cares, that's fine...but if you have some people that don't condone that action, they may not play in your league next year.

I know this will start a firestorm, and I'm not going to say anything more on the subject. I'm just giving the purist's side of the story.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:03 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I'm going to bet that fantasy purists are going to tell you this is not right. I'm one of those people.

If this is a public Yahoo leauge, then it is against the rules...and I pull these up all the time to answer these questions:

Yahoo ! Fantasy Baseball Rules wrote:No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

Now, if it's a Private league, then it says all things are controlled by the commissioner...but if you have a good one, they wouldn't allow this stuff to happen either. The problem is that if they didn't set a move limit or state that cycling pitchers was wrong, then I suppose you could do it.

The only thing that comes from doing this is animosty among your leaguemates and the possible "bad feeling" you may get for doing something like that. If no one cares, that's fine...but if you have some people that don't condone that action, they may not play in your league next year.

I know this will start a firestorm, and I'm not going to say anything more on the subject. I'm just giving the purist's side of the story.

But what if you have no innings limit, and you are picking up 4 pitchers a day in an attempt to better your team?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers