Yankees, Indians, and Angels win coin flips. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees, Indians, and Angels win coin flips.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees, Indians, and Angels win coin flips.

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:32 pm

From Yahoo!:

Yankees would host Red Sox in tiebreaker playoff
September 12, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Yankees won a coin flip Monday and would host the Boston Red Sox if a one-game playoff is needed to break a tie for the AL East title.

The Yankees, who trailed the Red Sox by three games entering play Monday, end the regular season with three games at Fenway Park from Sept. 30-Oct. 2. If the teams finish with identical records and the wild-card club comes from another division, the Yankees and Red Sox would shift to New York for the tiebreaker game.

New York and Boston last finished the regular season in a tie for first in 1978, when Bucky Dent's three-run homer boosted the Yankees to the division title.

If game is needed to break a tie between Cleveland and the Chicago White Sox in the AL Central, the Indians would host, and if the Los Angeles Angels and Oakland need a tiebreaker in the AL West, the game would be at Anaheim.

In the event a tiebreaker is needed for the wild card, New York and Oakland would play at Cleveland, and Oakland would play at New York.

If three teams finish with the same record and a tiebreaker is needed, the teams in the same division play a tiebreaker for first place, and the loser meets the team from the other division in a one-game wild-card tiebreaker.

If a tiebreaker game is necessary in the NL wild-card race, Philadelphia would host Houston and Florida, the Marlins would host Houston, the Astros would host Washington, and the Nationals would host the Phillies and Marlins.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:43 pm

That would be really awesome if Yanks/Sox came down to a single-game playoff - some great theater right there.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:14 pm

Pretty crazy stuff right there. 162 games and it could come down to 1. :-°
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:29 pm

That Yankee/Red Sox game would be something but still, any of those games would be amazing to watch. I hope one of those divisions come down to something like that. Would be just as good as a Game 7.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby orakana » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:14 am

I'd prefer non of that crap, even though they'd be good games. I'd just rather have the Tribe win the wild card and not need a playoff game.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:06 pm

I just got off the phone with the Yankees ticket office and they have no idea when those tickets will go on sale or what the policy is or even when the decision will be made about it. Same thing goes for potential postseason tickets. I'll be sure to update everyone as soon as I know.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I just got off the phone with the Yankees ticket office and they have no idea when those tickets will go on sale or what the policy is or even when the decision will be made about it. Same thing goes for potential postseason tickets. I'll be sure to update everyone as soon as I know.

thanks man. i was just wondering when they'd be available. ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby brock middlebrook » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:31 pm

What happens if the Yankees, Indians and Angels all tie for the Wild Card spot?
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers