It's time- let's hear your World Series predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's time- let's hear your World Series predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:10 pm

dannyolbb wrote:
BritSox wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:To me it's looking more and more like a repeat of last year's World Series. There's no one in the NL who can take down these Cardinals and -while the AL is more of a crapshoot - I'd say there's about a 40% chance the Sox make it in. Give another 40% to the Indians and 20% to the rest.

There is no juggernaut this year - it's a good year for baseball.

Care to specify which Sox? :-?

Good point. It's so rare that the White Sox do anything at all, I just forgot about them. I meant the Red Sox.

The White Sox pitching has been their strength all year. But they aren't this good. The funny thing? If they still had Carlos Lee I'd probably take them for the WS favorite. With Scotty Podsednick, though, I can't see them making it much farther than the first round.

Can I just say you have the best screen name?

The Bravos, Marlins, Astros, or Phils could probably take down the Cards, I don't see what you're talking about. Behind Carpenter, their rotation is average at best. Mulder has not been good this year. Check out that WHIP. They have a good bullpen, I'll give them that. But other than Pujols and Edmonds, that lineup OPS wise is pretty bad.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:32 pm

brandnew wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:
BritSox wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:To me it's looking more and more like a repeat of last year's World Series. There's no one in the NL who can take down these Cardinals and -while the AL is more of a crapshoot - I'd say there's about a 40% chance the Sox make it in. Give another 40% to the Indians and 20% to the rest.

Good point. It's so rare that the White Sox do anything at all, I just forgot about them. I meant the Red Sox.

The White Sox pitching has been their strength all year. But they aren't this good. The funny thing? If they still had Carlos Lee I'd probably take them for the WS favorite. With Scotty Podsednick, though, I can't see them making it much farther than the first round.

The Bravos, Marlins, Astros, or Phils could probably take down the Cards, I don't see what you're talking about. Behind Carpenter, their rotation is average at best. Mulder has not been good this year. Check out that WHIP. They have a good bullpen, I'll give them that. But other than Pujols and Edmonds, that lineup OPS wise is pretty bad.

Sure the Cardinals aren't perfect and have weaknesses, but so do all those teams that you just listed. The Cardinals are a good all around team, which is evident by looking at their win total. They can win games. The Cardinals this year are the same build as the one's last year, and last year's team was in the World Series. Good not great starting pitching, very good bullpen, good defense, good speed, and above average hitting ( 1 Albert Pujols adds a ton to a line-up).
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dannyolbb » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:51 pm

brandnew wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Thank you.

Knowing you are a Braves fan, I hate to say this. But Atlanta's rotation is average at best as well. You point out Mulder's WHIP. Have you seen Hudson's? I'll save you the time - Mulder: 1.33, Hudson: 1.36. The two teams are extremely similar. They both have great #1's. Their lineups are very much alike, as shown in that Andruw/Pujols MVP argument. Both have average pitching after their number one guy.

Here's the difference - The Cardinals are slightly better than the Braves in every one of those instances. And their bullpen is worlds better. Of course, anything could happen. Heck, I doubt that the winner of the West (Go Giants!) wins a single playoff game but they might. Who knows? Anything could happen.

The Cardinals aren't perfect, but their combination of good hitting, great fielding, good bullpen, and not-bad starters will take them places.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:56 pm

IF Houston makes it in, I think they have a chance to make it to the Series as long as Clemens stays healthy and pitches like he was a month ago. But they need Ensberg, and like now. If not, I see the Marlins in. For some reason I just don't care to see the Cards. I really like Pujols, but I can't stand LaRussa or pretty much anyone else on the team.

Out of the AL I kind of like the Sox if Schilling's last start was indicative of what the rest of the year is going to be like, and Foulke can prove he can get guys out again, with Timlin in a set up role. For some reason I just don't see Wright, Chacon, or Small getting the Yankees there. The A's do not have enough offense, and the Tribes starting pitching is a little suspectbut it would not surprise me to see them in the ALCS.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:02 pm

dannyolbb wrote:
brandnew wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Thank you.

Knowing you are a Braves fan, I hate to say this. But Atlanta's rotation is average at best as well. You point out Mulder's WHIP. Have you seen Hudson's? I'll save you the time - Mulder: 1.33, Hudson: 1.36. The two teams are extremely similar. They both have great #1's. Their lineups are very much alike, as shown in that Andruw/Pujols MVP argument. Both have average pitching after their number one guy.

Here's the difference - The Cardinals are slightly better than the Braves in every one of those instances. And their bullpen is worlds better. Of course, anything could happen. Heck, I doubt that the winner of the West (Go Giants!) wins a single playoff game but they might. Who knows? Anything could happen.

The Cardinals aren't perfect, but their combination of good hitting, great fielding, good bullpen, and not-bad starters will take them places.

Yeah, but in the last two months, Huddy has been great. Most of his bad numbers come from earlier in the year when he was hurt.

And the rest of the Braves' lineup kills the Cardinals', so they're not better in that instance. The Braves are also the best fielding team in the National League. (Least errors or something I think.. they said that on a broadcast a few days ago)

Oh, and the Cards are not even close to the team they were last year. Last year, they had the 1.000+ OPS, .300, 40 HR Edmonds, and the 1.000+ OPS Rolen on the team, not to mention the Larry Walker who wasn't horrible. But, they do have Carpenter this year.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:19 pm

Although this is homerish, and probably unlikely now due to today's blowup, but if the Giants somehow do manage to squeeze into the playoffs, they could pull a Round 1 upset. They would come into the playoffs red hot, with Bonds back, and a playoff rotation of Schmidt, Lowry, Cain. The pen has been solid and if Moises, Snow, and Barry stay healthy it could happen ;-) :-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:21 pm

brandnew wrote:The Bravos, Marlins, Astros, or Phils could probably take down the Cards, I don't see what you're talking about. Behind Carpenter, their rotation is average at best. Mulder has not been good this year. Check out that WHIP. They have a good bullpen, I'll give them that. But other than Pujols and Edmonds, that lineup OPS wise is pretty bad.

The Cards pitching isn't flashy but there is a reason they lead MLB with a 3.38 ERA.

H/9 – 8.64
BB Allowed – 392
GO/AO – 1.71
DP - 182
DER - .7194
FPCT - .985
HR Allowed - 134
SB Allowed – 29

As for the lineup OPS, they rank 4th in the NL with .762. Ahead of the Marlins and Astros, tied with the Phillies and .004 behind the Braves.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 pm

blankman wrote:Its a good thing for them if he'd have to face the Yankees. They destroy him every single time. :-b

Man, you're not kidding. I remember a game last year when Rhodes was "closing" for the A's and we were up by 1 run in the bottom of the 9th. The first pitch he throws to A-Rod is a belt high fastball which he hit off the planet. :,-(

I dont care what happens to Rhodes.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby brandnew » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
brandnew wrote:The Bravos, Marlins, Astros, or Phils could probably take down the Cards, I don't see what you're talking about. Behind Carpenter, their rotation is average at best. Mulder has not been good this year. Check out that WHIP. They have a good bullpen, I'll give them that. But other than Pujols and Edmonds, that lineup OPS wise is pretty bad.

The Cards pitching isn't flashy but there is a reason they lead MLB with a 3.38 ERA.

H/9 – 8.64
BB Allowed – 392
GO/AO – 1.71
DP - 182
DER - .7194
FPCT - .985
HR Allowed - 134
SB Allowed – 29

As for the lineup OPS, they rank 4th in the NL with .762. Ahead of the Marlins and Astros, tied with the Phillies and .004 behind the Braves.

Sure, but that's for the season. I'm talking about starters right now. That accounts every AB for the whole season, including a whole bunch of terrible wasted time on Raul Mondesi and Brian Jordan, as well as Johnny Estrada sucking it up after his injury (BMac is the official starting catcher right now)

That's not proving anything that they're ahead of the Marlins, Astros, or Phillies. Each of those three teams have some really bad hitters at the bottom of the lineup on their respective teams.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers