It's time- let's hear your World Series predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's time- let's hear your World Series predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:24 pm

Padres over Red Sox in 7.

:-)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:24 pm

Actually, I'm guessing the Pads are rooting against Houston in the WC race? IIRC, they have an excellent record vs Atlanta this year.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:45 pm

Cardinals are gonna win it this year (Note: Not biased whatsoever.) Carpenter is a stud and Mulder steps it up for the big games, plus the 3/4 option of Suppan/Morris (Who will be fine when playoffs start) is very strong. Solid team all around.

I don't see the Marlins suddenly 'turning it on' when the playoffs start (If they make it). These guys haven't been consistent all year and won't be in the playoffs. If Houston makes it, a hobbled Clemens and awful offense will smother them. Atlanta has been good all year, but I'd give the 7 game set to the Cardinals, whose best record will give them home field advantage.

AL teams? I think the Yankees don't make it this year, because well, that would be fun. WhiteSox, Cleveland, Boston, and Angels. WS team is very murky, but for a complete guess will say Cleveland. Cardinals win the WS in 5.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:45 pm

I need to stop getting on here as soon as I wake up. I'm just making up impossible scenarios here.

X-I

Okay, I hope that the Astros win the wild card. I think it's ridiculous that the best team doesn't just play the worst team, which isn't always the wild card. Does anyone know the logic behind this? I mean, if Florida makes the playoffs, why should Atlanta be rewarded with the Padres in the first round?

No offense, Marver, but you know it's true.

Anyways, I would hate to play Florida in the Division playoffs. They have solid pitching against our depleted hitting. Plus, they have played well against us this year - except for Burnett whom we've hit very well.

So, what I'm saying is:

Cards in the Series if Houston or Phillies wins the wild card.
If the Marlins win the wild card, then I'm not so confident in that assertion.
No matter what, the Cards or Florida represent the NL.

As for the AL, I can't say for sure. I wish I paid more attention to the Junior Circuit, but my interest in that League is purely fantasy related, which means my perception of reality is often askew.

I will predict that the Yanks don't make the playoffs.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the BoSox back in the Series.
With the BoSox depleted pitching, though, I don't see them being as formidable as they were last year.

If the Cards and BoSox do rematch, I guarantee that there is no sweep - either way.

And now I have to make my obligatory disclaimer/reminder regarding my post last year where I stated that the Yanks/Sox series was over. On that note, please believe the opposite of everything I posted above.

B-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:07 pm

JTWood wrote:
brandnew wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:Plus the Cards probably have the better pitching staff.

Eeek. Smoltz, Huddy, Sosa > Carpenter, Mulder, Marquis

Tavarez/King/Izzy >>>>>> Whatever Braves throw together

EDIT: And right now, no one's even sure Marquis will make the post season squad.

Exactly, Cards bullpen is one of the best, the Braves have quite a few problems with theirs and their rotations aren't a very big difference.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:13 pm

I'm curious. I can understand asserting that the cards will beat the braves (although I disagree. :-)), but why are you similarly confident that the marlins will be able to take them out?

the braves have played well against the fish, and in a seven game series, i'd say the pitching is a wash and the braves have a supperior lineup.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 pm

George_Foreman wrote:

I'm curious. I can understand asserting that the cards will beat the braves (although I disagree. :-)), but why are you similarly confident that the marlins will be able to take them out?

the braves have played well against the fish, and in a seven game series, i'd say the pitching is a wash and the braves have a supperior lineup.

Because it's not post-season conjecture without absolute assertions.

:-D

Seriously, though, assuming the Marlins make the playoffs, I say Marlins or Cards because the Pads suck and the Braves pen will be the death of them. A good bullpen is so very important in the post season, and theirs is not. Granted, the Marlins don't have the best middle pen in the world, but at least they have a steady closer.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:40 pm

You do realize that all of my Pad-bashing is going to result in them sweeping their way to the Series, right?

:-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 pm

George_Foreman wrote:

wash? how is the sp comparison a wash.

i'll type more when i stop eating + can type w/ 2 hands.

And to edit:

Braves: Smoltz, Hudson, Sosa, Thomson, H. Ramirez
Marlins: Burnett, Beckett, Willis, Moehler, I. Valdez

In a five man set, yes, the Braves have a better rotation. However, in the playoff four man rotation, the Marlins 1-2-3 lines up better than the Braves'. Assuming that the first two are a wash, would you rather pitch Jorge Sosa or your pick of Burnett, Beckett, Willis? Look at Sosa's WHIP. This guy has the potential to implode whenever...blieve me, from a Rays' fan. His control is beyond bad. You may argue that the Braves' 4th may have some sort of edge on the Marlins' 4th, but its' horribly close and I believe that that game will ride on the offenses, which is basically a wash:

SS Furcal, 2B Giles, 3B C. Jones, CF A. Jones, 1B LaRoche/Franco, RF Francoeur, LF Langerhans/Hollandsworth, C McCann/Estrada, P

CF Pierre, 2B Castillo, 1B Delgado, 3B/LF Cabrera, C LoDuca RF Encarnacion, 3B/LF Lowell/Hermida, SS Gonzalez, P
Last edited by warrick95 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:57 pm

I like the following teams:

AL:
West: Angels
Central: White Sox
East: BoSox
WC: Yankees

NL:
West: Padres
Central: Cardinals
East: Braves
WC: Marlins

In the AL, it's going to be awfully close. As blankman said, the volatile pitching staffs of NYY and BOS are going to decide (or complicate) matters. Who knows what pitchers will show up. The Angels, on the other hand, have Bartolo Colon, but who knows if Lackey is for real, and they lack depth beyond that. Their bullpen is very fatigued as of now (Shields, K-Rod). I'll go with the Yankees, but it really is an open race. I think their lineup is superb and their pitching will be half-decent enough to succeed. Since they won't be facing too many real aces (Colon, Schilling if up to par are the only competitors I consider true aces...I don't believe Buehrle, Garland, Clement have true ace stuff), I doubt their hitters will get shut down in the ALDS and ALCS.

I really like the NL Pennant winner to win it all. I think it'll come down to FLA and STL. To be honest, I like Florida's pitching way too much not to pick them this year. Their bullpen is fairly decent. Todd Jones has been lights out this year and Mota is slowly getting back into shape. AA has experience to add to that. They also have a very potent lineup that compares favorably to that of STL.

FLA over NYY in seven.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers