Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:37 am

The Cards have been hinting that they will be in the market for a top-notch OF this off-season since we're losing Walker and his gigantor contract after this year.

I wonder if we'd go after Damon?

:-?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:42 am

JTWood wrote:The Cards have been hinting that they will be in the market for a top-notch OF this off-season since we're losing Walker and his gigantor contract after this year.

I wonder if we'd go after Damon?

:-?
Doubt it. If I remember right Cards are paying half of Walker's contract, about $7 million. Damon is making over $8 million this year and I doubt the Cards would match the Sox in money or years. B. Giles seems like somone more likely.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:44 pm

blankman wrote:Last I checked you could post where ever you like, but if you really wanted to go back to when I was following fantasy, I'm absolutely positive you'd see that I've had more posts in the 'help' related topics than you have in your time here.

I haven't asked for advice and haven't given it either because I'm not in a position to do so because I chose schoolwork over baseball last spring. Excuse me. ;-7

Yeah, you're 8000 posts seem to agree with you; you don't have any time for fantasy baseball. ;-7

And because you don't play it doesn't mean you can't give advice, especially when you're able to respond to every last post I make within 15 minutes.

Last I checked you weren't a Mod either, where that would be any of your business.

Last time I checked you weren't a Mod either, so how can you tell me what is and isn't my business on this board? I'm not saying this is my business because I'm unsure; neither of us are mods, how can we know? Although, I do want to point out, the one time I had mod powers, I was praised by Menyak for banning spammers on the basketball board.

A bet on save %? I had no such discussion about it, because it would have furthered your misperception about the importance of that stat as the end all be all of everything if I had made any bet with you about it regardless of players involved.

Yep, my misperception. ;-7 You ignore that fact that a save means he held the lead while a blown save means he lost the lead...pretty fine line to me. The whole run-differential here is a moot point because Hoffman has had 18 1-run opps and 10 3-run opps, compared to Rivera's 13 1-run opps and 17 3-run opps. Regardless of the run-differential, Hoffman's save % is still best...no misconceptions about it.

But I guess you just know you'll lose if you make the bet. This other bit is a cop-out, to hide your fear of losing the bet.

I made the bet, you just have to do your side for it to go through. Oh wait, I forgot, you don't have time to help out fellow fantasy owners. ;-7

As for Damon/Giles, I think Giles would be a better fit for the Cards; Giles will probably fetch less money than Damon and provide better play at the same time. He gets on base so often, he'd boost Pujols rbi opportunities significantly. I do wish you guys would let us keep him, though. O:-)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:50 pm

davidmarver wrote:As for Damon/Giles, I think Giles would be a better fit for the Cards; Giles will probably fetch less money than Damon and provide better play at the same time. He gets on base so often, he'd boost Pujols rbi opportunities significantly. I do wish you guys would let us keep him, though. O:-)

We had this discussion in the Cards forum a couple weeks ago. It's eerie how similar Giles and Walker are:

Mid-30's
Above-average salaries
Reasonable pop (20+ HRs)
Excellent OBP
Lefty

Are they both RFs, too?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby davidmarver » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:14 pm

JTWood wrote:
davidmarver wrote:As for Damon/Giles, I think Giles would be a better fit for the Cards; Giles will probably fetch less money than Damon and provide better play at the same time. He gets on base so often, he'd boost Pujols rbi opportunities significantly. I do wish you guys would let us keep him, though. O:-)

We had this discussion in the Cards forum a couple weeks ago. It's eerie how similar Giles and Walker are:

Mid-30's
Above-average salaries
Reasonable pop (20+ HRs)
Excellent OBP
Lefty

Are they both RFs, too?

Yeah, although Giles is a whole lot more reliable than Walker. How many years and the Cards stuck with Larry?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:33 pm

20+ homers? trust me, i'd be enthusiastic about 25 from brian this year, but it really looks like he's lost a bit of pop this year. of his 14 homers to date, 6 have been at home and 8 on the road, so you're not looking at a huge improvement....

that said, i still think he'd be a great fit for the cards. while his OBP is a bit inflated this year because he's been walked often (i mean, who else do the pads have to scare you?), he'll still do a great job for st. luis, and with pujols behind him... well, he could score 120 runs. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:54 pm

George_Foreman wrote:20+ homers? trust me, i'd be enthusiastic about 25 from brian this year, but it really looks like he's lost a bit of pop this year. of his 14 homers to date, 6 have been at home and 8 on the road, so you're not looking at a huge improvement....

that said, i still think he'd be a great fit for the cards. while his OBP is a bit inflated this year because he's been walked often (i mean, who else do the pads have to scare you?), he'll still do a great job for st. luis, and with pujols behind him... well, he could score 120 runs. :-)

Giles would walk a ton no matter where he plays...his eye at the plate is ridiculous. 108 walks to 58 strikeouts.

You can complain about him not hitting 20+ homers, but he is slugging .490, which gives him an OPS of .915; 8th best for a MLB outfielder. He's 4th best in the NL for RC/G, his GPA (ballpark-adjusted SLG) is 4th best in the NL...behind just Pujols, D. Lee, and Delgado.

In short, Giles is the best NL RF and he'd be an upgrade no matter where he goes in the NL.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:57 pm

bets NL RF? Or best NL RF who is a FA this year? becuase i know a lot of people who'd prefer abreu (although the point is certainly arguable).

edit: oh, and i'm only complaining because i have in him my league that counts BA and HR and doens't count OBP, SLG, and OPS. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:11 pm

George_Foreman wrote:bets NL RF? Or best NL RF who is a FA this year? becuase i know a lot of people who'd prefer abreu (although the point is certainly arguable).

edit: oh, and i'm only complaining because i have in him my league that counts BA and HR and doens't count OBP, SLG, and OPS. :-)

Then maybe it's time to push for a change for next year or join a different league. :D

The non-keeper league I play in every year has been using either OBP or OPS all along, and the dynasty-like points league we started last year uses Extrapolated Runs (XR), which is similar to Runs Created, except it's linear (so it can be used on Yahoo). ;-D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:13 pm

davidmarver wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:20+ homers? trust me, i'd be enthusiastic about 25 from brian this year, but it really looks like he's lost a bit of pop this year. of his 14 homers to date, 6 have been at home and 8 on the road, so you're not looking at a huge improvement....

Giles would walk a ton no matter where he plays...his eye at the plate is ridiculous. 108 walks to 58 strikeouts.

You can complain about him not hitting 20+ homers, but he is slugging .490, which gives him an OPS of .915; 8th best for a MLB outfielder. He's 4th best in the NL for RC/G, his GPA (ballpark-adjusted SLG) is 4th best in the NL...behind just Pujols, D. Lee, and Delgado.

In short, Giles is the best NL RF and he'd be an upgrade no matter where he goes in the NL.

There has been talk of Giles possibly going to the Jays..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers