Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:18 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Sultans of Squat wrote:I agree w/ you, especially since the Yanks won't be in the market for an aging, big name closer yet. :D

38.1 IP, 8ER (1.88 ERA), 35 of 37 (93.6%) in save situations.

Yep...Hoffman's done. ;-7

And technically, isn't everyone aging? :-?

LOL! Believe what you will, but no aging pitcher is getting $250K/inning on the open market when the Yanks, Bosox, Dodgers *and* Tigers are not involved. :D BTW, I'm a Yankees fan and have my fair share of love/respect for Mo Rivera, but I'd have no qualms w/ poking fun at any other fan who thinks Rivera should get $10M/year on the open market under the same circumstances -- he might get it just because the Yanks would then be in the market, but he really should not from anyone else.

BTW, I'm assuming that we're talking multi-year contract, not a 1-year deal. If it's 1-year, then I can see someone else paying that much.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:28 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:That's still a whole lot of money for a 38 year-old closer any way you look at it. Who exactly will pay him that kind of money?

Yankees. :-D

You laugh now -- and I might agree if Rivera was retiring -- but your beloved Mets just might be the one to go after Hoffman and come close to paying him that kind of $$$. :D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:46 pm

davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Hoffman's agent has said they seek to make Hoffman the highest paid closer in MLB this offseason.

I don't know if the Pads can really afford that, but I'm sure someone will shell out the money...he's got 34 straight saves right now and being a changeup pitcher, he's got a lot of years left in the tank.

That's funny that they think they can get a 38 year old closer $10.6 Million in this market. I'm sure no one will give him that kind of money. Foulke only got $7.5M. You really think someone would give Hoffman 10?

Wagner will likely fetch more due to his age, but he won't get $10.6M either.

I couldn't imagine Hoffman going anywhere else, but stranger things have happened

Age is irrelevent when you figure he gets 34 straight saves without throwing a fastball over 90 MPH. As long as his changeup is the best in baseball, he'll be closing somewhere; and still be doing the best job of anyone in baseball.

Clemens got 18 million for being the best starter in baseball, Bonds gets a ton of money for being the best hitter in baseball; how come the best closer can't get 10.6 million? Percival got a ton last winter and he's not close to as effective as Hoffman is.

Percival got a ton of money? You're obviously mistaken. He didn't even get $6 Million. Not a chance in hell Hoffman gets 10 these days.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby davidmarver » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Sultans of Squat wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Sultans of Squat wrote:I agree w/ you, especially since the Yanks won't be in the market for an aging, big name closer yet. :D

LOL! Believe what you will, but no aging pitcher is getting $250K/inning on the open market when the Yanks, Bosox, Dodgers *and* Tigers are not involved. :D BTW, I'm a Yankees fan and have my fair share of love/respect for Mo Rivera, but I'd have no qualms w/ poking fun at any other fan who thinks Rivera should get $10M/year on the open market under the same circumstances -- he might get it just because the Yanks would then be in the market, but he really should not from anyone else.

BTW, I'm assuming that we're talking multi-year contract, not a 1-year deal. If it's 1-year, then I can see someone else paying that much.

Who said anything about a multi-year deal? :-?

Hoffman's agent has stated he wants to make his client the highest paid closer in baseball and it will happen; I do not doubt that. Someone will pay Hoffman the money to anchor down a bullpen.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:56 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Sultans of Squat wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Hoffman's agent has stated he wants to make his client the highest paid closer in baseball and it will happen; I do not doubt that. Someone will pay Hoffman the money to anchor down a bullpen.

But seriously 10 million?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:03 am

mweir145 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Who said anything about a multi-year deal? :-?

But seriously 10 million?

Well, when it's 1-year, you never know. I didn't really think too much about it, but merely offered that up as a caveat and the only possibility I can imagine where he might get anywhere close to 10M/year. Afterall, Clemens did get 18M for one year. OTOH, Clemens was underpaid the year before and got the 18M only because he was re-signing w/ Houston (and because they want him so much to stay). That won't be the case w/ Hoffman unless the Pads love him that much too. And even at 18M, Clemens isn't getting 250K/inning despite his historic effort. :D

Let's face it. Seems to me Dave is just letting his love for Hoffman get the better of his thinking on this matter. ;-) The agent could say whatever he wants, but that doesn't mean Hoffman will get that kind of $$$. What did Boras say Beltran would command this past offseason and what did he get? And that was w/ the Yanks being a probable player in the market for a high profile CF too. So are we to think the Mets will step up to the plate for 10M/year w/out the Yanks being a player? :D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:13 am

OTOH, this agent could just be trying a (rather obvious) ploy to get more money out of San Diego for his guy. :-)

actually, that's what i suspect is happening here. hoffman doesn't want to leave SD, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind getting paid. so letting the pads know that he's serious about his cash isn't such a bad idea. it lets them start planning for a big payout now instead of later. :-D

edit: also, i don't expect the bravos to pay for furcal. they've got too much talent waiting in the wings to burn a ton of cash on him. betimit was fine this year, and marte's comming up. one thing that *could* happen is chipper --> SS ( 8-o ). this is just speculation on my part, but he has played the position in the past (either HS, college, or the minors), and it would open up a spot for marte. frankly, i think they'd rather spend their money on pitching than furcal. consider this: is furcal's mony + thomson's money enough to get burnett this offseason? if so, should they go for it? that'd be a nasty rotation: smoltz/huddy/burnett/hampton/tossup.

heck, they've even got the option to dump estrada if they want with mccann major leage-ready.

quite a bit of versatility there. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:17 am

George_Foreman wrote:OTOH, this agent could just be trying a (rather obvious) ploy to get more money out of San Diego for his guy. :-)

actually, that's what i suspect is happening here. hoffman doesn't want to leave SD, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind getting paid. so letting the pads know that he's serious about his cash isn't such a bad idea. it lets them start planning for a big payout now instead of later. :-D

Yah, I think that makes the most sense wrt what the agent is saying.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:22 am

davidmarver wrote:
Sultans of Squat wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

You're seriously overvaluing him at this point. No one's going to pay him $10.6M (might have to be even more since I don't know what Rivera makes next year). Its just too much money in today's market.

Since you're so confident, you should have no problem making this a bet...
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BritSox » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:57 am

Hang on though.... the Yanks' rotation for next year seems pretty set. RJ, Moose, Pavano and Wright will all be back, and I'd be inclined to think they'd be happy enough with Wang or Small, given this year's performance. Matsui only wants to play in NY, so they'll re-up with him. Giambi's resurgence sorts out 1B, leaving only 2B, CF and the bullpen as places to spend the cash recouped by getting Brown off the books. The 2b market is thin, so they'll probably stick with Cano as he's cheap and has upside.

Therefore.... unless they break the bank for Damon, the Yanks'll probably find some kind of stopgap CF (which would still, in all likelihood, upgrade them over this year- maybe Roberts?) and throw some cash at the BP. Only other alternative i can think of is to sign a big-name corner OF and play Matsui in center.

That's one HUGE Padres exodus this offseason though. Maybe they'll just go into full-on rebuilding mode.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers