Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:50 pm

brandnew wrote:
eftda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:the braves will be interested, but i don't forsee them going out hard-and-fast for a closer, even if they lose farnsworth.

Yeah, they'll still have Kolb, right? :-D

Last I heard was that the Braves will move Blaine Boyer into the closer role next season.

It's up in the air... they'll have some extra cash next year, depending on what they do with a buch of guys... Estrada, Furcal, Thomson, etc. so they could either hold on to Farnsworth, go after Wagner, or just let Boyer and Devine fight for the spot. I'd keep Farnsworth, re-up Furcal, and have Boyer/Farns/Devine in the pen.

You'd really want to hand out that big payday to a player who's nowhere near worth that kind of money?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:01 pm

Hoffman's agent has said they seek to make Hoffman the highest paid closer in MLB this offseason.

I don't know if the Pads can really afford that, but I'm sure someone will shell out the money...he's got 34 straight saves right now and being a changeup pitcher, he's got a lot of years left in the tank.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby brandnew » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:07 pm

Pedantic wrote:
brandnew wrote:
eftda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:the braves will be interested, but i don't forsee them going out hard-and-fast for a closer, even if they lose farnsworth.

Yeah, they'll still have Kolb, right? :-D

Last I heard was that the Braves will move Blaine Boyer into the closer role next season.

It's up in the air... they'll have some extra cash next year, depending on what they do with a buch of guys... Estrada, Furcal, Thomson, etc. so they could either hold on to Farnsworth, go after Wagner, or just let Boyer and Devine fight for the spot. I'd keep Farnsworth, re-up Furcal, and have Boyer/Farns/Devine in the pen.

You'd really want to hand out that big payday to a player who's nowhere near worth that kind of money?

Yes and no. It depends on how much he wants. If he asks for more than 7-8 Million, then let him go, Betemit can fill in. It depends on his desire to stay in Atlanta... I'm not so sure he'll take Atlanta over the big bucks, though. The thing is, the Braves don't really have any other needs to address with money. Every single position is covered. Another option may be Brian Giles for LF, but I'm not so sure they'll go that way with all the depth in the OF. He'd be a great pickup, though.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:22 pm

davidmarver wrote:Hoffman's agent has said they seek to make Hoffman the highest paid closer in MLB this offseason.

I don't know if the Pads can really afford that, but I'm sure someone will shell out the money...he's got 34 straight saves right now and being a changeup pitcher, he's got a lot of years left in the tank.

That's funny that they think they can get a 38 year old closer $10.6 Million in this market. I'm sure no one will give him that kind of money. Foulke only got $7.5M. You really think someone would give Hoffman 10?

Wagner will likely fetch more due to his age, but he won't get $10.6M either.

I couldn't imagine Hoffman going anywhere else, but stranger things have happened
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:40 pm

blankman wrote:That's funny that they think they can get a 38 year old closer $10.6 Million in this market. I'm sure no one will give him that kind of money. Foulke only got $7.5M. You really think someone would give Hoffman 10?

I couldn't imagine Hoffman going anywhere else, but stranger things have happened

I agree w/ you, especially since the Yanks won't be in the market for an aging, big name closer yet. :D Even if the Bosox went shopping for a big name closer, which they won't, they still won't be offering anywhere near that kind of $$$ given what they're paying Foulke now. And w/out the Yanks and Sox bidding things up, can't really see there being quite that much market for an aging, big name closer. Seems like maybe only the Mets would be willing to spend top $$$ on a closer at this point. Everyone else w/ $$$ either has a closer (locked up or re-signable) or a closer-in-waiting.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby davidmarver » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:54 pm

blankman wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Hoffman's agent has said they seek to make Hoffman the highest paid closer in MLB this offseason.

That's funny that they think they can get a 38 year old closer $10.6 Million in this market. I'm sure no one will give him that kind of money. Foulke only got $7.5M. You really think someone would give Hoffman 10?

Age is irrelevent when you figure he gets 34 straight saves without throwing a fastball over 90 MPH. As long as his changeup is the best in baseball, he'll be closing somewhere; and still be doing the best job of anyone in baseball.

Clemens got 18 million for being the best starter in baseball, Bonds gets a ton of money for being the best hitter in baseball; how come the best closer can't get 10.6 million? Percival got a ton last winter and he's not close to as effective as Hoffman is.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:01 pm

davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:

Age is irrelevent when you figure he gets 34 straight saves without throwing a fastball over 90 MPH. As long as his changeup is the best in baseball, he'll be closing somewhere; and still be doing the best job of anyone in baseball.

Clemens got 18 million for being the best starter in baseball, Bonds gets a ton of money for being the best hitter in baseball; how come the best closer can't get 10.6 million? Percival got a ton last winter and he's not close to as effective as Hoffman is.

That's still a whole lot of money for a 38 year-old closer any way you look at it. Who exactly will pay him that kind of money?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby davidmarver » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:02 pm

Sultans of Squat wrote:I agree w/ you, especially since the Yanks won't be in the market for an aging, big name closer yet. :D

38.1 IP, 8ER (1.88 ERA), 35 of 37 (93.6%) in save situations.

Yep...Hoffman's done. ;-7

And technically, isn't everyone aging? :-?
Last edited by davidmarver on Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:03 pm

mweir145 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:

That's still a whole lot of money for a 38 year-old closer any way you look at it. Who exactly will pay him that kind of money?

Yankees. :-D
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:14 pm

I'd take Gagne, Rivera, and K-Rod over Hoffman... Damn good closer, but not the best in baseball.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers