Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Name Free Agents this Off-Season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SCARPARIELLI » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Why do I have it in my head that Juan Pierre's contract is up this year?
SCARPARIELLI
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:15 pm

SCARPARIELLI wrote:Why do I have it in my head that Juan Pierre's contract is up this year?

Because people question whether the Marlins will go to that last year of arbitration with a player who will make more than he's worth. Outside of his speed, he really offers little else (poor OBP for a leadoff hitter, no power, and one of the worst throwing arms on a CF). Will they want to pay app. $6M for that? If not, he'll be a FA as well.

As for the Braves and closer, the Braves have had a major thing for Farnsworth for the last couple of years. I remember them trying to get him from the Cubs before they got Reitsma. With Kolb making $3.4M this season, and Farns at $2M, I can easily see them trying to sign him for around $4-5M to be their closer. If he refuses (or gets $6M+ from some other team), I'm guessing they'll try and keep it in-house (Reitsma, Boyer or Devine) or maybe try a one year stop-gap, such as Baez if they don't think the latter two are ready. Just can't see them paying $6M+ for any closer.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby dannyolbb » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:41 pm

I wonder if Manny is as good as a free agent. They've been trying to trade him for 2 years. Maybe this will be the offseason.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:51 pm

Damon, Wagner and Burnett are the biggest I know of that might be heading to other teams. I know of Morris, Millwood, Konerko and Ryan too. Im not sure but I think Mesa will be a FA next year, not like thats much importance though.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:02 pm

If he continues to play pretty well the final three weeks, it'll be interesting to see what happens to Nomar. Can't see him getting a big payday with the injury issues, but you never know whether some team will buy the Boras kool-aid like the Tigers did with Magglio this last off-season.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby vapormike » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:08 pm

I think Nomar is going to be playing with 1-2 year, incentive laden contracts the rest of his career.
vapormike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:08 pm

George_Foreman wrote:you gotta think baltimore would make a pretty good effort to keep ryan around. that said, if philly loses both wagner and urbina, you could see them making a strong push for him as well. the braves will be interested, but i don't forsee them going out hard-and-fast for a closer, even if they lose farnsworth.

Unfortunately for my dynasty-like league, I can only keep Ryan if he doesn't officially enter FA, so I need him to re-sign w/out testing the FA waters.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:12 pm

Washburn.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby eftda » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:02 pm

Alou - Player option.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:09 pm

eftda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:the braves will be interested, but i don't forsee them going out hard-and-fast for a closer, even if they lose farnsworth.

Yeah, they'll still have Kolb, right? :-D

Last I heard was that the Braves will move Blaine Boyer into the closer role next season.

It's up in the air... they'll have some extra cash next year, depending on what they do with a buch of guys... Estrada, Furcal, Thomson, etc. so they could either hold on to Farnsworth, go after Wagner, or just let Boyer and Devine fight for the spot. I'd keep Farnsworth, re-up Furcal, and have Boyer/Farns/Devine in the pen.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers