White Sox better watch out!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

White Sox better watch out!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will win the AL Central?

White Sox
77%
Indians
23%

Total votes : 26

White Sox better watch out!!!!

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:30 am

The FLYING Indians are only 5.5 back of the White Sox. White Sox better watch out!!!!
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:57 am

If the White Sox go 8-12 in their last 20 games, Cleveland would have to go 13-6 just to tie them. I don't see the ChiSox playing .400 baseball, not to mention that .680+ baseball is tough enough.

If they play .500 (10-10), Cleveland would need to play .800+ baseball for 4 weeks (taking into account their current 7 game win streak) to finish the year 22-4. Possible? Yes, but unlikely.

Same goes for the teams chasing the Braves and the Padres - without help from these leaders (i.e. a 5 game losing streak or the like), it is almost impossible to make up a 5 game deficit in 3 weeks.

A great run, nonetheless, and one that has put them in good shape for the WC. But anything more than a game/week is tough to make up at this point in the season, unless they pretty much sweep the remaining games against the ChiSox.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:02 pm

The 6 games left between the ChiSox and Indians could make it interesting but that's a lot of ground to make up in such a short time.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:10 pm

The Indians will probably have to take 5 of the 6 games in those 2 final H2H series, if not complete sweep. Hard to imagine the Sox playing worse than .600 ball against KC, Det and Min given their great divisional record -- and they did quite well in their recent series against them too w/ only the weekend sweep by the Angels (after a poor showing against Texas couple weeks earlier) providing this tiny opp for the Indians.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:17 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:If the White Sox go 8-12 in their last 20 games, Cleveland would have to go 13-6 just to tie them. I don't see the ChiSox playing .400 baseball, not to mention that .680+ baseball is tough enough.

If they play .500 (10-10), Cleveland would need to play .800+ baseball for 4 weeks (taking into account their current 7 game win streak) to finish the year 22-4. Possible? Yes, but unlikely.

Same goes for the teams chasing the Braves and the Padres - without help from these leaders (i.e. a 5 game losing streak or the like), it is almost impossible to make up a 5 game deficit in 3 weeks.

A great run, nonetheless, and one that has put them in good shape for the WC. But anything more than a game/week is tough to make up at this point in the season, unless they pretty much sweep the remaining games against the ChiSox.

Well said. ;-D

Consider that the Tribe has been playing roughly .620 ball since the break. They've come on extremely strong, by all accounts - and they would have to be even better to surpass the Sox. They've won seven in a row, while the Sox have lost 4 in a row, and they're still 5.5 back. If they're going to catch up, it will take a healthy dose of luck. It was just last week that the Sox went on a 7-game streak of their own.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:31 pm

Maybe I should be rooting for the Indians since I'm in a similar predicament now in one league. :D BUT I'm depending on a couple Sox RPs (Politte and Jenks) for some cheap points and maybe also McCarthy whenever Guillen finally gives him some more starts. Meanwhile, the 2 teams I'm trying to catch own an Indian or two for their backup/platoon uses.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby davus » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:21 pm

Sox are 10-3 vs. the Tribe this year. Don't get your hopes up, Indian fans. I estimate about a 1 - 1000 chance that the Sox will give the division up.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:54 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:If the White Sox go 8-12 in their last 20 games, Cleveland would have to go 13-6 just to tie them. I don't see the ChiSox playing .400 baseball, not to mention that .680+ baseball is tough enough.

Great post, I mean come on the chances are way to hard for the Indians. The Sox would really have to suck and the Tribe would have to go on fire for this to happen.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaQ » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:17 pm

I agree that the Tribe would need quite a run to make this happen, but remember Chief Wahoo...

Image :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers