Giants announce Bonds to be activated Monday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants announce Bonds to be activated Monday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:00 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I love all the Barry hate. When I was a kid the Pirates were my favorite team, and Bonds has been my favorite player since before he was winning MVPs and making All-Star game appearances. All the hate cracks me up. People get so mad over this because they will never be able to prove anything, Barry is far too smart to get caught with a positive test.

If he's your favorite player, why do you make him sound like O.J.? O:-) ;-)

I can't imagine Bonds and Alou hitting 4-5 in the Giants lineup. Who the hell would hit third? J.T. Snow? If that were the case, it seems like it would be better to go Snow-Alou-Bonds, y'know, to split the lefties. O:-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:59 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I still have serious doubts that he'll play a single game this year, and if he does, I hope he goes the way of Juan Gone - one AB and done. I wouldn't mind if he never came back, either.

Sounds like a lot of hate man.

I hope he has a monster week, say 10-20, with 3 hrs. Probably won't, but i'm starting him at DH.

There's no player I despise more this side of ARod than Bonds. He's a cheat, a liar, a phony, and on top of all that he's an @$$. He is one guy that if he got hit by a bus I wouldn't feel a bit sorry for. I hope he never steps on a field again, and I hope he does something stupid so they can keep him out of the Hall. And as far as him playing goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

and it is because of this mentality, that I hope he hits 800 ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:01 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
moneybaseball wrote:How would all you haters feel if next year he puts up 40+ HR and 1.000+ OPS along with the other quality peripherals?

I will still hate him. He's one guy I won't put on my fantasy team just due to my personal feelings. If I can't in my right mind cheer for him to do well, I won't draft/add/trade for him. Just like ARod. I still hate ARod and he has pretty good numbers.

And don't give me "spread love not hate". I'll hate if I want. Last I checked it's still a free country.

20.00 bucks says he would have no quams about owning Sheffield or Giambi ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:51 am

Pedantic wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I love all the Barry hate. When I was a kid the Pirates were my favorite team, and Bonds has been my favorite player since before he was winning MVPs and making All-Star game appearances. All the hate cracks me up. People get so mad over this because they will never be able to prove anything, Barry is far too smart to get caught with a positive test.

I can't imagine Bonds and Alou hitting 4-5 in the Giants lineup. Who the hell would hit third? J.T. Snow? If that were the case, it seems like it would be better to go Snow-Alou-Bonds, y'know, to split the lefties. O:-)

I don't understand how that's making him sound like OJ. I don't have any problem with anyone using steroids, so I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I revel in the fact that all the Bonds haters have no proof of any of the accusations they make. Nothing but circumstancial evidence and saying "look at him, he must be on steroids."
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago RedSox » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:07 pm

I thought when the whole BALCO thing came out he ended up admitting that he unknowingly used The Clear??
Aside from all the roid rumors, I don't like bonds much at all. I know he can hit a ball as hard and far as anyone, but I just don't like him at all. Some of it comes from hearing all his old teammates talk about him, but most of it comes from seeing him in interviews, he's just an a$$. I put him on my do-not-draft list just because I didn't want to have to cheer for him.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Pedantic wrote:

If Alou decides to go with Bonds 4th and Moises 5th, Durham will hit 3rd and Snow would drop to bat 6th.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:23 pm

wrveres wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
moneybaseball wrote:How would all you haters feel if next year he puts up 40+ HR and 1.000+ OPS along with the other quality peripherals?

I will still hate him. He's one guy I won't put on my fantasy team just due to my personal feelings. If I can't in my right mind cheer for him to do well, I won't draft/add/trade for him. Just like ARod. I still hate ARod and he has pretty good numbers.

And don't give me "spread love not hate". I'll hate if I want. Last I checked it's still a free country.

20.00 bucks says he would have no quams about owning Sheffield or Giambi ;-D

This is the last thing I'm going to say about this whole thing, so here goes...

As a matter of fact, I do have serious qualms about owning Giambi. He's another guy I just can't root for. I had the opportunity to pick him up when he got hot and passed. I was offered him in a trade in a deal that probably favored me, but passed. As far as Sheff goes, I believe he made a legitimate mistake, and despite the fact that he's a jerk, I wouldn't mind owning him for fantasy purposes. At least I can respect him as a ball player.

Which takes me back to Bonds. I actually very much respected him in the late 80s and early 90s. I rooted for the Pirates to get to the WS with Bonds, Bonilla, and Andy Van Slyke. But it wasn't meant to be. The guy was arguably the best all-around player in baseball (although you could certainly make an argument for Junior) - he could run, he was a GG-caliber LF, and he hit for some power.

Then he morphed into a player who was all power, all the time. He couldn't run anymore and couldn't field his position. This is about the time they started talking about him as one of the "greatest players of all time". Some may say "he's too smart to ever test positive", but anyone in their right mind knows that there was something artificial going on. This guy slugged around .600 for 15 years in the bigs, then when he turns 36 he has the best five seasons of his life, slugging .700, .800, .863?!? At a time when most guys can barely even hit their weight? Sorry to burst your bubble, but the guy found a (or some) magic bean(s), and it's called the clear and/or the cream.

The saddest thing to me is that he's now held in regard with guys like Ruth, Mays, Williams, Musial, or even Hank Aaron. It makes me sick. These things didn't even exist when those guys played, and now some cheater is going to come along and take his unrightful place beside them? It's just not right. Bonds may well deserve to go into the Hall for the things he did before he turned 35, but I just can't believe that anything he did after that was legit.

I personally would love to see them strike every HR total that beat Maris's from the record book, because I'd be hard pressed to argue that McGwire or Sosa every did anything legit either, but that's another story for another time.

So for those of you who have him and need him to blow up to save your seasons, best of luck. For those of you who are open supporters of Bonds, best of luck. But I can't in my right mind support the guy at all. I despise him, am certainly entitled to that opinion, and no one is going to change my mind.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby KaiserSoze » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:35 pm

eftda wrote: The Steroid tests have proven that he didn't take anything.

Think about what you just said. They don't prove he didn't take human growth hormone. They don't prove he didn't take horse steroids with an advanced masking agent. Think about it. They prove nothing.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bselig » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:17 pm

eftda wrote:I would bet that he would just PH on monday.

And you'd lose that bet, fool. Bonds will be starting in left field Monday. He is healthier now than he was at the end of last season, when he was a regular starter.

As far as I am concerned, Monday is opening day of the 2005 baseball season. Bonds is back, and, really, that's all that matters as far as this sport is concerned.

Welcome back, Barry.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moneybaseball » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:27 pm

bselig wrote:
eftda wrote:I would bet that he would just PH on monday.

And you'd lose that bet, fool. Bonds will be starting in left field Monday. He is healthier now than he was at the end of last season, when he was a regular starter.

As far as I am concerned, Monday is opening day of the 2005 baseball season. Bonds is back, and, really, that's all that matters as far as this sport is concerned.

Welcome back, Barry.

It's going to be good watching Barry take on Ruth's record...now there is a good item to bet on. I bet he retires Barry Sanders style, as soon as he breaks it.
moneybaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers