Don't Call It a Comeback (This One's For You, Coppermine) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Don't Call It a Comeback (This One's For You, Coppermine)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:50 am

I wish I could gain half as much notoriety on these boards as you can Coppermine... :-°
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:56 am

Personally, I love it. He retires, and is set to move on with his life. THEN, the french press has to bring up this 6 year old urine sample thing just to tarnish his legacy just a little. And now, Lance is going to shove it right in the french press's face and come back and win an 8th Tour. Some may call it arrogance, but I call it competitive spirit. This guy will not let stuff roll off his back, and I love him for it. He reponds to every accusation made about him, and he fights fire with fire. How can you NOT love this guy?
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:14 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I wish I could gain half as much notoriety on these boards as you can Coppermine... :-°

You can do it too! Just pick someone well respected and openly declare hatred for them. You could try: Mother Theresa, Albert Pujols, or even Jesus Christ himself! ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:35 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I wish I could gain half as much notoriety on these boards as you can Coppermine... :-°

You can do it too! Just pick someone well respected and openly declare hatred for them. You could try: Mother Theresa, Albert Pujols, or even Jesus Christ himself! ;-D

Haha, smooth Simulacrum. :-b :-o
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:52 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:

Since Lance semi-cheated on his wife, I think it'd be hard to put him up there with Mother Theresa, Jesus, or God himself, Albert Pujols :D (gets smited for blasphemy) :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:59 am

Mookie4ever wrote:btw - isn't there a team of cyclists that ride together and sabotage other teams etc? I have no idea how important the rest of the team is but they get no credit for Lance's victories. If Lance wants to prove something why doesn't he try winning the Tour of France by himself?

Here's a good thread where Mercer explains a whole buch about the Tour:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150151&highlight=cycling

I learned quite a bit in that thread. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:24 am

Madison wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:btw - isn't there a team of cyclists that ride together and sabotage other teams etc? I have no idea how important the rest of the team is but they get no credit for Lance's victories. If Lance wants to prove something why doesn't he try winning the Tour of France by himself?

Here's a good thread where Mercer explains a whole buch about the Tour:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150151&highlight=cycling

I learned quite a bit in that thread. ;-D

Thanks Mad, and thanks Mercer. Great info. ;-D

With all of those different jerseys it sounds like more of a fashion show than a race (btw - what if your team jersey is yellow, white, green or one of those other colours, doesn't it get confusing?).

I have to disagree that it is the greatest endurance event there is. There has to be a triathlon or ironman competition that is more demanding. Whenever I see Tour highlights nobody ever even looks winded. In the ironman competitions these guys colapse at the end and don't get up by themselves.

I forgot about the drafting thing. I guess that it does make it a team sport but with individual honours. Kind of strange how that works. I guess that if you were a great rider on a crappy team you would be out of luck - The Barry Bonds of cycling.

Thanks for the info MB. I know a lot more about the sport now and may try to catch some of it next year.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:01 am

Honestly, I just learned something myself. No wonder no one gives a crap about Lance's team, although I'm sure those guys are great athletes in their own right.

But really, I do think that there are plenty events that are even more demanding than the tour de france. Especially for guys whose bodies aren't genetically inclined for cycling.

The Ironman is a good example. No teams there, just you, your legs, a bike and a river. Yikes!

In fact, swimming seems so much more demanding as well. How many muscles are you using while swimming? No one ever gives much credit to those ladies who swim across the freezing cold English Channel. That's pretty f'en tough!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:12 am

Mookie4ever wrote:With all of those different jerseys it sounds like more of a fashion show than a race (btw - what if your team jersey is yellow, white, green or one of those other colours, doesn't it get confusing?).

I have to disagree that it is the greatest endurance event there is. There has to be a triathlon or ironman competition that is more demanding. Whenever I see Tour highlights nobody ever even looks winded. In the ironman competitions these guys colapse at the end and don't get up by themselves.

I forgot about the drafting thing. I guess that it does make it a team sport but with individual honours. Kind of strange how that works. I guess that if you were a great rider on a crappy team you would be out of luck - The Barry Bonds of cycling.

Thanks for the info MB. I know a lot more about the sport now and may try to catch some of it next year.

never knew MB was such a cycling fan. :-)

i dunno if there are any rules preventing teams from wearing a yellow uniform in the tour de france. my guess is that they are allowed to wear whichever colour they want. for example, there is a team called "credit agricole" and they wear a green shirt as their uniform, but the green jersey is also one of those special jerseys of the tour, which given to the best sprinter. i guess the yellow jersey has such a status that teams will avoid choosing yellow as their team colour because of it. in addition to all the different team colours and the special jerseys they allow the champion of each country to wear his country's colours. so you can have a guy in the same team who happens to be the champion the netherlands wearing orange in the same team as the guys from credit agricole wearing green. now, don't ask me why lance doesn't wear the US colours...i dunno how it works, but i do see some riders wearing the colour of their country instead of their team colous. ;-)

on the tour being the greatest endurance event in the world, i would agree with it. the ironman is only one day, isn't it? the tour is 3 weeks. ok, not every stage of the tour is a mountain stage, but after the first week which is usually made up basically of flat stages, you only get big climbs. it's common to see some of the riders just giving up cuz they can't stand the heat and the climbs anymore.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby AT » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:47 am

Coppermine wrote:Honestly, I just learned something myself. No wonder no one gives a crap about Lance's team, although I'm sure those guys are great athletes in their own right.

But really, I do think that there are plenty events that are even more demanding than the tour de france. Especially for guys whose bodies aren't genetically inclined for cycling.

The Ironman is a good example. No teams there, just you, your legs, a bike and a river. Yikes!

In fact, swimming seems so much more demanding as well. How many muscles are you using while swimming? No one ever gives much credit to those ladies who swim across the freezing cold English Channel. That's pretty f'en tough!

Lance used to do triathlons in high school and college too. And yes, it's bad that you hate lance and the fact that he may be coming back to shut up the french and his doubters one more time, if necessary doesn't make his retirement a publicity stunt. All it means is that the guy is a competitor who thinks someone is taking a shot at his pride and accomplishments. Nothing wrong with that. Keep blasting the yellow bracelets guys, that's cool ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk