who thinks Ryan Howard will hit 40 HRs next year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who thinks Ryan Howard will hit 40 HRs next year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:52 am

I'd say he will most likely hit around 30 HR's. Like most have said it's a long season and he K's way to much to be that consistent, he will struggle for periods at a time.

Laean wrote:
Pedantic wrote:Too inexperienced and too many K's to hit 40 at this point, IMO. Boy, fantasy owners can be a strangely optimistic group at times. O:-) I can't see Thome going to the Braves, either.

to be fair, he does walk a decent amount too though, like thome, dunn, etc, and not like morneau, etc. that said, i think it's more likely that he WON'T hit 40 next season, though i wouldn't completely discount it.

Actually he doesn't walk that much, defiantly not as much as Thome/Dunn. They both will walk over 100 times a year, Howard walks every 10 AB's or so ... which with 550 AB's would be around 55 walks. In fact, he is practically walking the same amount as Morneau this year and last year (once every 10 AB's). Add to that Howard strikes out more frequently, 1K every 3 AB's to Morneau's 1K every 5 AB's (roughly in the last 2 years).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:28 am

Webster11 wrote:Reminds me a lot of Morneau last year...hopefully different result :-o

Hah I thought the same thing. I think the scouting reports will start to make the rounds and the league will start to catch up with him, which seems to have been the case with Morneau. Howard seems to me like a younger, cheaper, and less consistent version of the 1B they already have.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TB13 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:24 am

eftda wrote:The only team I can see Thome going too is the Mets or Braves and the Phillies would have to take 1/4 to 1/2 his contract.

I agree. I actually thought that the Mets would be the best option, but the Phils would have to eat no less than 1/2 of the remaining contract. And then there is the compensation for Thome. Granted, the Phils would just be happy that some one is taking him, however they have to get something in return. Mayhaps a Floyd or Cameron?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:29 am

TB13 wrote:
eftda wrote:The only team I can see Thome going too is the Mets or Braves and the Phillies would have to take 1/4 to 1/2 his contract.

I agree. I actually thought that the Mets would be the best option, but the Phils would have to eat no less than 1/2 of the remaining contract. And then there is the compensation for Thome. Granted, the Phils would just be happy that some one is taking him, however they have to get something in return. Mayhaps a Floyd or Cameron?

How about the Angels?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TB13 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:48 am

RynMan wrote:How about the Angels?

One would presume that they would want either Kotchman or Morales to play most of the games at 1st.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:41 am

There has to be a thread like this about Morneau from this time last year.
Highly touted youngster gets called up and starts hitting homers at a torrid pace.
We all know what we got from Morneau this year (although I think he's a great sleeper pick for next year).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:51 am

TB13 wrote:
RynMan wrote:How about the Angels?

One would presume that they would want either Kotchman or Morales to play most of the games at 1st.

Finley should be the odd man out with Kotchman playing either 1B or DH, with Erstad going back to the OF. Thome could split time at 1st and DH....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:54 am

A mere sampling of opinions from last spring (of course, my intention is not to pick on folks, since hindsight is inherently 20/20, although I still envision this deteriorating into a dissection of my horrible predictions :-D):

raiders_umpire wrote:i compare him to texeira from last year going about the same time, and i hope we get the same production from morneau as we got from tex last year.......

Bloody Nipples wrote:.284, 33HR, 95R, 102RBI

I'm pretty high on him as you can see, so my projections may be a bit higher than others'.

kimchi_chigae wrote:i'm pretty high on him as some of the other people are. i think he'll be a top 10 1B this year. i like Bloody Nipples's projections

AKhomebrewer wrote:Actually, I think Morneau is the next Teixeira.

cordscords wrote:Expect .285 and 30 + dingers.

DK wrote:I have .280, 35, 80 R, 90 RBI, 0 SB.

CubsFan7724 wrote:I would say .280/90/35/100 isn't out of the question.

Secret Avatar wrote:I see something like 275, 30 HR, 95 RBI, and 85 runs.

StlSluggers wrote:.270 - .823

32 HR, 102 RBI

Solid production at first base

looptid wrote:I say Morneau is a lock for 35+ dingers.

Dodger Blue wrote:18 Hr in 280 at bats???????? HMMM let me think YES. LOL j/k
Overbay had 16 hr in 579 at bats. He'll be top 6 1b by the end of the year plus pls post your roster.

tuff_gong wrote:.285/31/105/85

pokerplaya wrote:.269 32 105

Don't ask me why, I just feel this prediction.

Probably the worst thing I've ever posted on this boards. Well, that's one thing he got right. :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:04 am

didn't we have this thread last season, right about this time, only about one Justin Morneau :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers