What's going to happen in Tampa? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's going to happen in Tampa?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:18 pm

dannyolbb wrote:And - the reliability of fielding stats notwithstanding - I've always thought of Chipper as a pretty bad defensive 3b. Especially at the beginning of his career. Isn't that why they moved him to the OF? BJ is making an error once every 2.5 games at Triple-A. Was Chipper ever that bad at short?* I doubt it.

Well you judge for yourself if Chipper was ever that bad, but I'd say 149 errors in 464 games ... was pretty awful. Maybe I over-estimated how good Chipper is defensively in the field, but I've never thought of him as worse then average at 3B. What I was getting at was, you would never of thought he was that bad in the minors.

Also, I'm in the same state of mind as warrick is as far as 1B. To me Bankston is the future there and Huff will be traded as we probably won't resign him.

On Gomes, I don't remember him ever playing the infield. But even if he has, you could tell why he should never play there again ... he is not a good fielder even in the OF.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannyolbb » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:41 pm

hybrid wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:And - the reliability of fielding stats notwithstanding - I've always thought of Chipper as a pretty bad defensive 3b. Especially at the beginning of his career. Isn't that why they moved him to the OF? BJ is making an error once every 2.5 games at Triple-A. Was Chipper ever that bad at short?* I doubt it.

Well you judge for yourself if Chipper was ever that bad, but I'd say 149 errors in 464 games ... was pretty awful. Maybe I over-estimated how good Chipper is defensively in the field, but I've never thought of him as worse then average at 3B. What I was getting at was, you would never of thought he was that bad in the minors.

Also, I'm in the same state of mind as warrick is as far as 1B. To me Bankston is the future there and Huff will be traded as we probably won't resign him.

On Gomes, I don't remember him ever playing the infield. But even if he has, you could tell why he should never play there again ... he is not a good fielder even in the OF.

Well, that's pretty ham-handed, yes. That's one error per 3.11 games. BJ is worse. The idea of him staying at short seems like a pipe dream. Maybe you're right. He could play third. But there is a reason the Braves moved Chipper to left and BJ isn't quite as good a fielder as Chipper. Then again, maybe with the logjam in the Tampa outfield, they'll keep BJ in the infield. Damn the torpedos and all that.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:42 pm

hybrid wrote:

Was Jonny's brother Joey the infielder for us...I believe he's still in the system?

I still want to give BJ more time to see if his defense can get better. It's not like our team is making a run next year, being in the AL East. We need to make an all-or-nothing run, considering who our "rivals" are.

I believe the Braves moved Chipper to left that year partially because they had signed Castilla to play at 3rd instead of another outfielder. That may have been because of Chipper's inability to play third. However, I certainly do not believe Chipper was ever an atrocious 3B, though mediocre.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Well, didn't Chipper drop/miss a few popups in crucial situations, including once(?) against the Yanks in the '96 WS? When you do that, you don't need to be quite *that* bad to draw a lot of fire me thinks.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers