9/8/2005-Coppermine & Lance or: Why I'm a...., Vol. II - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

9/8/2005-Coppermine & Lance or: Why I'm a...., Vol. II

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Lol, it should be added underneath the "No spitten, no swearin, no politics" part on the top of the page.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:44 am

JTWood wrote:Can I get that posted at the top of the site? Or can we make it part of the Terms and Conditions when people apply?

Um....seeing as how multiple screen names are frowned upon, the answer would be "NO".

B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Lance Lives On!

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:41 am

Welcome to the bump to end all bumps. I encourage everyone to read through this thread to get an idea of what life was like at the cafe nearly 2 1/2 years ago.

Here are some of the highlights:

I announced my presence at the cafe with an unpopular disdain for Lance Armstrongs; while he may not be the most beloved athlete of these times, he was the most beloved of those times... long before Floyd Landis or steroids even mattered in any sport... back when every frat guy in your college wore a yellow bracelet proclaiming their love for "living strong" to fight cancer despite the fact that anywhere wearing such bracelet nowadays is likely to get a wedgie. Yes, a wedgie.

I'd encourage any cafe fan to read through; you'll see it all. Former members (AtrophyingTesticles [later downgraded to "AT" since Testicles came under the scrutiny of the Cafe's language guidelines] debating me on the merits of such bracelets with a heartfelt story. Wrveres, doing what he does... completeing hating everything and everyone, particularly me. And, well, it's no wonder he was banned from GT long, long, LONG ago. Red Stripe, a respected member of the FBC community who was eventually outed as nothing more than the loathsome "Rico the Retard" perhaps the most hated of FBC members since the early days of Coppermine; I find his scornful commentary the hardest to digest.

Wrveres; he hates everyone. OK, maybe not everyone, but everyone who doesn't agree with him 120%. Ok, anyone who doesn't agree with him 10,000,000%. He was banned from GT long, long, long ago and, in my estimation... for good reason. He hated literally everyone that wasn't himself. And people liked that, and to be honest, so did I. Anger and hatred is fun, but sometimes it gets a little too intense for GT.

Acsguitar has some words; as a self-proclaimed Lance Armstrong lover, acsguitar attacked me with the gusto of wrveres (or, in misspelled terms, werewolves). Acsguitar is alive and well, but banned from General Talk for all time for saying Mike Mussian should shoot himself... or something equally ridiculous.

The most striking thing, looking back through these posts, is how much more leniency was given toward creative, opinionated, discussion. It never got out of hand, or unreasonably flaming. Yeah, people used words that are very much frowned upon in today's GT boards, but it strikes me as odd that we've actually taken a step back in General Talk, rather than forward. Are "testicles" and "assholes" really end-of-the-world things to say? Because it used to be ok? But not anymore.

I'd just encourage everyone to look through this discussion, if not for the fun of it all. Because it is fun; that's all it's supposed to be. Take a trip and see how much fun it was to remember Coppermine and his ridiculous, unbelievable, unapologetic disdain for Lance Armstrong....
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:56 am

Wow, I was even more of an jerk back then than I am now. :-b

I apologize for engaging you about Lance Armstrong of all people. It's become quite clear that he's a jerk, a phony, and a bigger cheat than most riders. I don't particularly like him, in fact I never really did. He still deserves respect for winning that many times in a row, though, assuming that everybody else was cheating as well (which shouldn't be hard to believe knowing the sport of cycling).

I miss wrveres. He was a good ally in the Bonds threads...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:03 am

You know what; even now, despite his shortcomings and the inevitable accusations of doping, I can admit I may have been a bit harsh on Lance, if not for the awareness he brought to the horrors of cancer that I'm sure everyone has inevitably encountered from someone they know. So of course he deserves respect for winning as much as he did, but thankfully for him, he won in a time where doping wasn't on the forefronts of anyone's minds.

As for wrveres, thankfully Clemens is here to take some of the pressure off his main man, Bonds. :*)

I actually miss acsguitar more than anyone; he's still alive and well in non-GT forums, but despite his agreement with wrveres on the Armstrong issue, I think he'd be the first to admit that maybe I'm not such a bad dude.

Hooray beer!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 am

I actually miss acsguitar more than anyone; he's still alive and well in non-GT forums, but despite his agreement with wrveres on the Armstrong issue, I think he'd be the first to admit that maybe I'm not such a bad dude.

Yes...he certainly made the GT very funny at times, he's missed here.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am

mweir145 wrote:

Is a petition in order?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:42 am

Coppermine wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Is a petition in order?

Alright. You send it to Madison, though, he's never liked me. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:52 am

mweir145 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Yes...[acsguitar] certainly made the GT very funny at times, he's missed here.

Is a petition in order?

Alright. You send it to Madison, though, he's never liked me. :-D

That makes two of us.

Oh, was that mean to be tongue-in-cheek? :*)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 9/8/2005-Coppermine & Lance or: Why I'm a Bastard, Vol. II

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:11 am

im pretty sure wrveres is completely banned now...its funny the characters in this thread though. mostly all banned now except for two, but one i have a feeling is verrrrrrrrry close. ;-)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk