DaMeathook hits 500! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

DaMeathook hits 500!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DaMeathook hits 500!

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:44 am

No, not 500 HRs or even .500. Dmitri Young has reached 500 ABs triggering a clause in his contract that guarantees the Tigers have to pay him $8,000,000 next season.

I must admit to being a little confused over how these contracts work. Does anyone know if the Tigers can release him, or is it a guaranteed contract?

If it is a guaranteed contract then can anyone explain why the Tigers would be so stupid as to let him reach 500 ABs?
I can't believe that they, or Dmitri, thinks that his numbers and contributions to a chronic losing team merits an $8mil payday.

So what are they thinking? He has no position on next year's team, so why let him reach incentive numbers that only mean that we will have one more untradeable, over-priced, underproductive player? Oh yeah, one who's D is subpar.

This organization must be retarded. Do they think DaMeatHook is such a fan fav that there will be a revolt if we let him go? I didn't hear any of the 200 or so fans at the game last night going nuts when he was at the plate.

$8 million dollars. Can someone please explain this one to me?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:47 am

I'm guessing that there is wording in the contract that won't allow Detroit just to bench him so he can't reach 500 AB.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:58 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm guessing that there is wording in the contract that won't allow Detroit just to bench him so he can't reach 500 AB.

Brilliant!
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:00 pm

moochman wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm guessing that there is wording in the contract that won't allow Detroit just to bench him so he can't reach 500 AB.

Brilliant!
I heard that there is no such wording, but they did so as to not look bad and risk Dmitri filing a grievance with the Player's Union. I really don't know what penalites could be involved in such a case. Do they just pay some kind of fine, does it make the organization look bad to potential free agents, or whatever? I don't know so I have a hard time criticizing them for this move just out of not knowing all the details.

What is clear is that Dmitri is no longer worth the money he is going to be paid, and from my observations guys built like Dmitri (a bit heavy) decline fast and seldom have productive seasons much into their 30's and beyond.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:13 am

Not only is he not worth what they will be paying him, but it handcuffs them when it's time to trade him. I just don't get it. What am I missing? Let him file a grievance, he'd just as likely lose with the season(s) he's had. Dombroski and the Tigers are looking kinda dumb here. IMO
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers