D-Train Picks Up #20 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D-Train Picks Up #20

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:00 pm

The Jury wrote:That dude who made the "Dontrelle will win 2" with his friend is hanging tight ;-D

LOL! He's still got a ways to go to get to 24 though, but D-Train must be his best bud or something, pulling out all the stops so far. :D Unfortunately, he's also fueling one of my top competitors in this dogfight in my dynasty-like keeper league -- and I'm kicking myself for not taking that Myers for D-Train offer just before either one saw any trouble. :-P I have been falling (too far) behind lately in that dogfight in part because of that one "trade" that I hesitated to do -- and the tons of injuries (eg. Drew, NJ) and disappointments (eg. RJ, Mora) didn't help either although Rocket made up for part of the diff.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:15 pm

The Jury wrote:That dude who made the "Dontrelle will win 2" with his friend is hanging tight ;-D

I think it was 22 wins that was the bet.

Anyway the reason besides my little second half slide excuse that Dontrelle wouldn't do to good in the second half is because the only times of greatest he had shown before the second half was the 1st half of this year and the 1st half two years ago in his rookie year, he was just mediocre last year. Plus it seems he uses deception a lot to make him post the numbers he has put up, the big leg kick probably still screws up some batters but those deceptive type pitchers don't last long, they get figured out eventually, look at Oliver Perez.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm

WharfRat wrote:It's a shame every sportswriter on the planet has since pointed out that D-Train is the 13th African-American to do it. Is this really necessary?? He's not the 1st. Not the 2nd. There are a DOZEN OTHERS who have already done it. :-°

I long for a world where people can pass each other on streets without recognition of race at all.

Props to Dontrelle. ;-D
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:10 pm

Red Stripe wrote:Anyway the reason besides my little second half slide excuse that Dontrelle wouldn't do to good in the second half is because the only times of greatest he had shown before the second half was the 1st half of this year and the 1st half two years ago in his rookie year, he was just mediocre last year. Plus it seems he uses deception a lot to make him post the numbers he has put up, the big leg kick probably still screws up some batters but those deceptive type pitchers don't last long, they get figured out eventually, look at Oliver Perez.

This reasoning I can understand and was the part of the reason why I hesitated to trade Myers for D-Train. At the time, I felt it was too close to call and basically told the other owner to leave the offer on the table as long as he feels like it. I prefer Myers' stuff and felt that maybe he's finally matured at age 24-25 while I'm more concerned about future injury risk for D-Train on top of those other things. Of course, the diff between their homeparks has to be factored in also as well as the fact that K's don't count in our league. The two of them may still prove me right in the next few years, but unfortunately for this year, I could still be contending (and maybe winning) if I had made that trade.

As for Perez, I'm not sure he's figured out as much as self-destruction between wildness and injuries. He's always been an injury risk, IIRC, and had a hard time w/ maintaining command -- both aspects very common amongst young phenom pitchers, particularly those that wow the scouting community.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers