Question about Commish Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question about Commish Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about Commish Ethics

Postby jhansen73 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:43 pm

I am in a league. Points league, and the commish has been setting up another team for someone that has not paid very m,uch attention to. The team is in second to last place, but made the playoff. We take the top 8 outta 10.

Is it right that the commish is managing 2 teams? Should anything be said? I just kinda noticed it. Should anything be said?

there is money riding on this also. The league, I mean
You stay away from it. Because you are weird.
jhansen73
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 135
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Your mom's house

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:04 pm

I would have no problem with it as long as he is not cutting trades for the dis-interested owner. Commishes often pseudo manage teams in the absense of owners to keep lineups legal and cleaned up etc. Most of the time they do so with the instruction of the owner.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jhansen73 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:07 pm

He did pull off one trade:
Garciaparra, Nomar SS CHC
Kazmir, Scott SP TB
Wilkerson, Brad B. 1B WAS
for
Hafner, Travis DH CLE
Lackey, John SP ANA
Reyes, Jose B. 2B NYM

And the other owner did not know some of the moves that were made until I mentioned something to him about it
You stay away from it. Because you are weird.
jhansen73
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 135
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Your mom's house

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Well if the commish made the trade and not the owner or without the owner's knowledge, I think that crosses the line. You would need to find that out from the owner first though.

As to making moves in absentia without the owner knowing it...it depends. I have one owner in one league who has told me to make whatever moves I deem apprpriate to cleanup his limeup on Monday's (weekly league). So I have on occassion cut some total dead wood for him, ouicked up a pitcher for the week, etc. Nothing wrong with that imo. If the owner can't be online or is too lazzy to keep up with things and tells his buddy the commish to do it for him, then it is fine.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gws226 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:52 am

Im probably totally against the grain on this one. I basically agree with what your commish is doing, although I do consider the trade inappropriate as well as any add/drops in any instance other then a DL/NA situation.

1. Im 100% for conditional commisher management of non-playing teams. Non-playing teams are total wrecks to fantasy leagues IMHO,

Conditions:
1- If the owner is stepping away from the league temporarily (internet, family emergency etc etc) and authorizes full management of the team to the commish.... then I believe commish can undertake full management of the team and long as no collusion is involved (ya, thats gonna be tough :-t )

2- If the non-playing team disappears then the commish should step in, and simply manage the roster.... add/drops are only authorized to replace injured or waived player. NO TRADES! The commish is basically just setting the roster to ensure that every team faces the non-playing teams best available roster week in and out. Commish plays all starting SP.... no subjective matchup calls.... minimizes collusion.


I think option 2 is the way to go.
--> it ensures that every team plays a fair opponent all season. This year I got burned in one league when 2 teams quit with 3 weeks to go in the season (I played their best rosters twice... and the guy who wound up in second, played a team that didn'y make min innings for the week, and the other had Puljos and manny on the bench.

--> By limiting transactions to add/drop only to instances of DL/NA, if the owner does return to play, all the transactions can be justified where-as trades to improve the team if often very subjective and an easy case for collusion in the league.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 994
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:50 am

gws226 wrote:Im probably totally against the grain on this one. I basically agree with what your commish is doing, although I do consider the trade inappropriate as well as any add/drops in any instance other then a DL/NA situation.

1. Im 100% for conditional commisher management of non-playing teams. Non-playing teams are total wrecks to fantasy leagues IMHO,

Conditions:
1- If the owner is stepping away from the league temporarily (internet, family emergency etc etc) and authorizes full management of the team to the commish.... then I believe commish can undertake full management of the team and long as no collusion is involved (ya, thats gonna be tough :-t )

2- If the non-playing team disappears then the commish should step in, and simply manage the roster.... add/drops are only authorized to replace injured or waived player. NO TRADES! The commish is basically just setting the roster to ensure that every team faces the non-playing teams best available roster week in and out. Commish plays all starting SP.... no subjective matchup calls.... minimizes collusion.


I think option 2 is the way to go.
--> it ensures that every team plays a fair opponent all season. This year I got burned in one league when 2 teams quit with 3 weeks to go in the season (I played their best rosters twice... and the guy who wound up in second, played a team that didn'y make min innings for the week, and the other had Puljos and manny on the bench.

--> By limiting transactions to add/drop only to instances of DL/NA, if the owner does return to play, all the transactions can be justified where-as trades to improve the team if often very subjective and an easy case for collusion in the league.


I agree with you 100% .. and your option 2 is exactly how we run things in the H2HWS.
The key there is,
* starting all starting pitchers,
* no trades period, zip, nada ..
nice post ;-D
Dead teams can kill a fantasy league quicker than anything.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:35 am

Agreed. Option 2 from wrveres is definitely the way to go and how we manage it in my league. Trades are completely off-limits and the one that you brought up as an example is a total abortion and should have been vetoed by the rest of the league. If it's a commissioner-only veto league then you guys should have a mutiny.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby The Cow » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:04 pm

My attitude is that the commish should only rotate players while an owner is on vacation or something like that. The commish should not rotate teams because an owner bolts. Sure it is great if everybody plays until the end. But the problem with the commish rotating player, add droppings(trades should NEVER be done) etc.. is that say the commish is tied with Team A. The commish looks at the abandoned team and says "hey I can make up that point by getting the abandoned team some steal guys,(pick your category if you want). The commish then drops some dead wood for steal guys o the abandoned team. The abandoned team then overtakes Team A in steals and the commish wins the league. This is why the commish should not rotate abandoned teams. As for commish's be so honest as to not do that, please they are only human. If a team drops out then so be it, if you are in a keeper league find another owner at years end.

Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Postby gws226 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:05 pm

wrveres wrote:
gws226 wrote:Im probably totally against the grain on this one. I basically agree with what your commish is doing, although I do consider the trade inappropriate as well as any add/drops in any instance other then a DL/NA situation.

1. Im 100% for conditional commisher management of non-playing teams. Non-playing teams are total wrecks to fantasy leagues IMHO,

Conditions:
1- If the owner is stepping away from the league temporarily (internet, family emergency etc etc) and authorizes full management of the team to the commish.... then I believe commish can undertake full management of the team and long as no collusion is involved (ya, thats gonna be tough :-t )

2- If the non-playing team disappears then the commish should step in, and simply manage the roster.... add/drops are only authorized to replace injured or waived player. NO TRADES! The commish is basically just setting the roster to ensure that every team faces the non-playing teams best available roster week in and out. Commish plays all starting SP.... no subjective matchup calls.... minimizes collusion.


I think option 2 is the way to go.
--> it ensures that every team plays a fair opponent all season. This year I got burned in one league when 2 teams quit with 3 weeks to go in the season (I played their best rosters twice... and the guy who wound up in second, played a team that didn'y make min innings for the week, and the other had Puljos and manny on the bench.

--> By limiting transactions to add/drop only to instances of DL/NA, if the owner does return to play, all the transactions can be justified where-as trades to improve the team if often very subjective and an easy case for collusion in the league.


I agree with you 100% .. and your option 2 is exactly how we run things in the H2HWS.
The key there is,
* starting all starting pitchers,
* no trades period, zip, nada ..
nice post ;-D
Dead teams can kill a fantasy league quicker than anything.


Do you need another team for your league next year? :)
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 994
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:53 pm

The Cow wrote:My attitude is that the commish should only rotate players while an owner is on vacation or something like that. The commish should not rotate teams because an owner bolts. Sure it is great if everybody plays until the end. But the problem with the commish rotating player, add droppings(trades should NEVER be done) etc.. is that say the commish is tied with Team A. The commish looks at the abandoned team and says "hey I can make up that point by getting the abandoned team some steal guys,(pick your category if you want). The commish then drops some dead wood for steal guys o the abandoned team. The abandoned team then overtakes Team A in steals and the commish wins the league. This is why the commish should not rotate abandoned teams. As for commish's be so honest as to not do that, please they are only human. If a team drops out then so be it, if you are in a keeper league find another owner at years end.

Cow


I agree w/ you there. That's another reason why I prefer a good points system over typical ROTO format. With a good points system, you don't have to worry about dead teams impacting the standings other than that they won't actively keep the WW free of cheap-and-easy pickups.

In fact, in my dynasty-like keeper league, we initially set it up w/ some auto-picked dummy teams midseason last year because we couldn't find enough owners to join at the time. It worked out ok because those dummy teams don't really impact the standings due to use of points system -- and it was even fun to see a couple of dummy teams give a couple real owners a run for their money for 1/2 a season. :D

Anyway, I think regardless of how you want to approach it, things should've been disclosed ahead of time before the Commish makes such moves. It should never be done w/out the league's knowledge and approval/agreement, IMO.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 644
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Pittsburgh
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact