Why are there numbers.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are there numbers....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why are there numbers....

Postby Mother » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:30 am

on the backs of ball shirts? I tryed to explain to my 6yr old son why and I want to make sure that I have explained it correctly. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it's so the ump. can call out the number for that person, and so history can record the hits and out and stuff of that kind for that person. It's kinda like a SS# wright?So if any one of you can explain it to me so I can explain it to him I would be very happy.

Sorry if I sound like "Just like a woman for ya!!! :-b "

Thank you, Mother
Mother Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:34 am

So fans can know which player is which.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby AT » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:40 am

Identification purposes. For fans, for coaches, for umpires, for announcers, for teammates even...

And your 6-year old needs to be hitting curveballs by now...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:12 am

It is my understanding that numbers were originally added to identify the player. I think I read that the Yankees started the practice in the late 20s. I've also read that numbers were given to some players based on their spot in the line-up (thus Ruth #3 and Gehrig #4).

As such, I would agree that they were originally used for identification purposes.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Mother » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:23 am

;-D Thank you for the replys.
Mother Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Postby WharfRat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:11 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:It is my understanding that numbers were originally added to identify the player. I think I read that the Yankees started the practice in the late 20s. I've also read that numbers were given to some players based on their spot in the line-up (thus Ruth #3 and Gehrig #4).

As such, I would agree that they were originally used for identification purposes.

Actually, the Indians experimented with numbers on the jerseys a decade before the Yanks adopted their in the late '20s, and other teams in the Majors, Negro Leagues and elsewhere probably did the same. Numbers preceded names on the back of jerseys by like 20 or 30 years, if memory serves. I assume it was all because of some primitive marketing notion.

And of course, the only team to still not have names on the jerseys is dem Bombers. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:14 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:It is my understanding that numbers were originally added to identify the player. I think I read that the Yankees started the practice in the late 20s. I've also read that numbers were given to some players based on their spot in the line-up (thus Ruth #3 and Gehrig #4).

Actually, the Indians experimented with numbers on the jerseys a decade before the Yanks adopted their in the late '20s, and other teams in the Majors, Negro Leagues and elsewhere probably did the same. Numbers preceded names on the back of jerseys by like 20 or 30 years, if memory serves. I assume it was all because of some primitive marketing notion.

And of course, the only team to still not have names on the jerseys is dem Bombers. ;-D

Well, only team without names both home and away ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers