Pujols quietly becoming elite 1B basestealer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols quietly becoming elite 1B basestealer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols quietly becoming elite 1B basestealer

Postby hooligan1 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:54 pm

I don't have Pujols in any of my leagues this year and I was just looking at his stats and HOLY CRAP!! Not only is he having YET another fantastic season in all cats he is normally strong in, but he has 14 stolen bases!! 14!! That's one more than his career total coming into the year. And he's only been caught stealing twice......Yikes.

Anybody have any thoughts on whether he continues this over the next few years of his career? Cause if he does......well, suffice to say he's THE preeminate fatasy player, as if he wasn't already in most peoples' minds..... I mean, other than Lee right now or Bagwell a few years ago, I can't think of many first basemen who put up these kinds of SB numbers.....

Anyway, just an observation......Hopefully this hasn't been posted about real recently. I just don't get onto the Cafe as often as I used to...
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:49 am

I can’t see it continuing. Pujols steals bases cause he is smart and picks his spots. He isn’t fast at all. Once pitchers start paying more attention to him his SB will go down.

btw - Klesko put up some nice SB numbers for a couple years playing 1B.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:17 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I can’t see it continuing. Pujols steals bases cause he is smart and picks his spots. He isn’t fast at all. Once pitchers start paying more attention to him his SB will go down.

Wow, I was going to use this argument in FAVOR of Pujols being able to steal 10+ year after year. I think Paul O'Neil said that any player in MLB can steal at least 12-15 every year if they just pay attention.

Pujols won't ever get more than say 12, but he'll be able to get double-digits because he's so good at paying attention and wanting that extra base. Pitchers will not constantly pay attention to him on the basepaths, he'll get around 10 year after year IMO.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:26 pm

I agree with the general assessment...this isn't something where we're going to see Pujols sb #'s growing year after year. But as long as the foot problems stay manageable and he stays healthy he's just too smart of a player to not end up stealing 10-15 bases each year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby stumpak » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:15 pm

That is exactly right, he picks his spots. And O'Neil is right, anyone can do this if they are smart. Eric Karros, who is incredibly slow, had a 15 Sb season and a season where he was 8 for 8 in SBs. He was able to schieve this by picking his spots.

An elite base stealer is a guy like Ricky Henderson who can successfully run on anyone. Pujols is not this, and frankly once every off-season scouting report notes his 2005 success, pitchers will be more diligent in holding him on and easy opportunities will dminish. I would not count on Pujols for 15 SBs next year.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:22 pm

Not all pitchers have a good enough move to successfully hold runners on whether they are paying attention or not though. Guys will have mental lapses and since he's stealing bases opportunistically rather than based on game situation I'd have to say he'll get his 10-15 each year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby The Jury » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:46 pm

stumpak wrote:That is exactly right, he picks his spots. And O'Neil is right, anyone can do this if they are smart. Eric Karros, who is incredibly slow, had a 15 Sb season and a season where he was 8 for 8 in SBs. He was able to schieve this by picking his spots.

An elite base stealer is a guy like Ricky Henderson who can successfully run on anyone. Pujols is not this, and frankly once every off-season scouting report notes his 2005 success, pitchers will be more diligent in holding him on and easy opportunities will dminish. I would not count on Pujols for 15 SBs next year.

Yes, we pretty much all have the same opinion. He'll slyly take his dozen bags a year, but as his totals get higher year to year, he'll get more attention and will be nullfied.

Ironically, the more bags he steals, the less bags he'll steal :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hooligan1 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:59 pm

stumpak wrote:That is exactly right, he picks his spots. And O'Neil is right, anyone can do this if they are smart. Eric Karros, who is incredibly slow, had a 15 Sb season and a season where he was 8 for 8 in SBs. He was able to schieve this by picking his spots.

I wasn't saying he was an elite basestealer, my point was he is becoming an elite basestealer AMONG firstbasemen. Thanks for everyone's input. Always interesting opinions to be found on the Cafe!!
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Pedantic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:35 am

As long as the Cardinals can continue to bat the likes of Edmonds and Rolen behind Pujols, I think that pitchers will find that little ol' Pujols stealing a base is the least of their worries.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:08 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I can’t see it continuing. Pujols steals bases cause he is smart and picks his spots. He isn’t fast at all. Once pitchers start paying more attention to him his SB will go down.

Indeed, Klesko had back-to-back 20/20 season, I believe. B-)

Still not worth the $10,000,000.000 he'll get next season. :-P

Pujols, due to the SB, is really pushing ARod for the #1 fantasy slot.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers