Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:33 am

warrick95 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Burnett may likely end up on the Jays..

LOL. Yeah, the Jays are getting the #1 FA Pitcher... OK ;-D

Good one Weir :-b

Well they do have 30 million to spend next year on anything they want, and Burnett is friends with Arnsberg (the pitching coach on the Jays who previously was a Marlins pitching coach).

His signing wouldn't surprise me in the least, I mean he almost got traded here in July, before Ricciardi decided he would rather go after him in the winter..

why didnt they go after pavano? too much money? :-?

Ted Rogers didn't give them 30 million more to spend on the payroll until February, and by that time Delgado was already gone. :-/

And for that matter, anyone else. The Jays did go after Matt Clement last winter, but the Red Sox spent more on him.

Which is what makes me think that a team like the Yankees will overbid the Jays for AJ Burnett. The odds are 2 to 1 that the Yanks sign him, IMO. He's said that he wants to test the FA market, which more or less means that he wants to get paid all day.

Yeah, but this year the Jays have money, last year they didn't. Big difference.

Yankees have endless pockets and are willing to overpay for their players. The Jays, with relatively more money than last year, still won't have enough to sign him away, or won't want to overpay.

I'll Cafe Bet you that AJ will go to NYY. You get to choose two teams (one being the Jays) as a possible destination for Burnett, since the odds are stacked in favor of NYY. If he goes to a team other than the three, nobody wins.

Dunn is interesting. Personally, I don't get why the hell Cincy doesn't try to lock him up long-term. If they were to trade Dunn, they'd probably want some arms in return. I'm thinking you'd have to somehow include one of McGowan, Brandon League, and perhaps Gustavo Chacin (though I think he's vastly overrated and that it'd be a tremendous mistake if Cincy acquired him as the centerpiece of a trade). Anyway, you'd have to pay to get him, no doubt about that. I see another team outbidding if he really is traded, but that's just me.

For Adam Dunn, I think you would atleast have to give Cinci atleast 2 of those guys you mentioned if not more. The Jays do have a lot of pitching, and it wouldn't be a total loss to give up a pitcher like Chacin or League (or both) in return for a power hitter that could push the team over the top.

I'll take that bet, I'm just not sure who else to pick other than the Jays.
You make a good point about overpaying though, I doubt Ricciardi will want to pay him 8-9 million, and I'd rather sign a pitcher like Millwood or Morris for less.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:34 am

RynMan wrote:- The Blue Jays were smart enough NOT to go after Pavano.

I'm not exactly sure why they didn't, but they went after Clement more than anybody. It turned out to be a big plus. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby RynMan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:37 am

mweir145 wrote:
RynMan wrote:- The Blue Jays were smart enough NOT to go after Pavano.

I'm not exactly sure why they didn't, but they went after Clement more than anybody. It turned out to be a big plus. ;-D

All of the signs were there that Pavano's year in 2004 was largely due to the park he pitched in and the defense he had behind him, along with a lot of luck (low BABIP). He was never going to be a 3.00-3.50 ERA pitcher going to the AL, let alone the AL East.

Nice work Jays. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:22 pm

mweir145 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Burnett may likely end up on the Jays..

LOL. Yeah, the Jays are getting the #1 FA Pitcher... OK ;-D

Good one Weir :-b

Well they do have 30 million to spend next year on anything they want, and Burnett is friends with Arnsberg (the pitching coach on the Jays who previously was a Marlins pitching coach).

His signing wouldn't surprise me in the least, I mean he almost got traded here in July, before Ricciardi decided he would rather go after him in the winter..

why didnt they go after pavano? too much money? :-?

Ted Rogers didn't give them 30 million more to spend on the payroll until February, and by that time Delgado was already gone. :-/

And for that matter, anyone else. The Jays did go after Matt Clement last winter, but the Red Sox spent more on him.

Which is what makes me think that a team like the Yankees will overbid the Jays for AJ Burnett. The odds are 2 to 1 that the Yanks sign him, IMO. He's said that he wants to test the FA market, which more or less means that he wants to get paid all day.

Yeah, but this year the Jays have money, last year they didn't. Big difference.

Yankees have endless pockets and are willing to overpay for their players. The Jays, with relatively more money than last year, still won't have enough to sign him away, or won't want to overpay.

I'll Cafe Bet you that AJ will go to NYY. You get to choose two teams (one being the Jays) as a possible destination for Burnett, since the odds are stacked in favor of NYY. If he goes to a team other than the three, nobody wins.

Dunn is interesting. Personally, I don't get why the hell Cincy doesn't try to lock him up long-term. If they were to trade Dunn, they'd probably want some arms in return. I'm thinking you'd have to somehow include one of McGowan, Brandon League, and perhaps Gustavo Chacin (though I think he's vastly overrated and that it'd be a tremendous mistake if Cincy acquired him as the centerpiece of a trade). Anyway, you'd have to pay to get him, no doubt about that. I see another team outbidding if he really is traded, but that's just me.

For Adam Dunn, I think you would atleast have to give Cinci atleast 2 of those guys you mentioned if not more. The Jays do have a lot of pitching, and it wouldn't be a total loss to give up a pitcher like Chacin or League (or both) in return for a power hitter that could push the team over the top.

I'll take that bet, I'm just not sure who else to pick other than the Jays.
You make a good point about overpaying though, I doubt Ricciardi will want to pay him 8-9 million, and I'd rather sign a pitcher like Millwood or Morris for less.

Alright, just PM me with the other team when the regular season is over.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 pm

Wow, after looking at the rotoworld article there are not too many impact SPs this year. Next year looks ripe with some good ones, but this year not so much.

Trades are going to be about the only thing impacting the market this year, besides wherever AJ and Morris go. If Philly doesn't sign B. Wagner than that could be significant, but then again not a starter...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers