free agent Sp's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

free agent Sp's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nikku88 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:12 pm

Millwood is also a FA and would be a better value than Burnett IMO.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:26 pm

warrick95 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Burnett may likely end up on the Jays..

LOL. Yeah, the Jays are getting the #1 FA Pitcher... OK ;-D

Good one Weir :-b

Well they do have 30 million to spend next year on anything they want, and Burnett is friends with Arnsberg (the pitching coach on the Jays who previously was a Marlins pitching coach).

His signing wouldn't surprise me in the least, I mean he almost got traded here in July, before Ricciardi decided he would rather go after him in the winter..

why didnt they go after pavano? too much money? :-?

Ted Rogers didn't give them 30 million more to spend on the payroll until February, and by that time Delgado was already gone. :-/

And for that matter, anyone else. The Jays did go after Matt Clement last winter, but the Red Sox spent more on him.

Which is what makes me think that a team like the Yankees will overbid the Jays for AJ Burnett. The odds are 2 to 1 that the Yanks sign him, IMO. He's said that he wants to test the FA market, which more or less means that he wants to get paid all day.

Yeah, but this year the Jays have money, last year they didn't. Big difference.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:27 pm

nikku88 wrote:Millwood is also a FA and would be a better value than Burnett IMO.

I'd agree with that, as well.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:29 pm

nikku88 wrote:Millwood is also a FA and would be a better value than Burnett IMO.

Now there's the pitcher I could see the Jays ending up with, possibly even Matt Morris.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:36 pm

Red Stripe wrote:

Now there's the pitcher I could see the Jays ending up with, possibly even Matt Morris.

One of those 2 would be great on the Jays, and probably a lot cheaper, giving them more to spend on their other positions (1B-need power! :-o ).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby brandnew » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:42 pm

It's a very weak FA class all around, especially for power hitters. Jays will have to try to make a trade or something. Hey, you guys can have LaRoche! I'm SO sick of Roche it's not even funny. I'm going to be pissed if he's playing over Marte (indirectly) next year.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:46 pm

brandnew wrote:It's a very weak FA class all around, especially for power hitters. Jays will have to try to make a trade or something. Hey, you guys can have LaRoche! I'm SO sick of Roche it's not even funny. I'm going to be pissed if he's playing over Marte (indirectly) next year.

Trade rumours in Toronto have been circulating around Adam Dunn..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Burnett may likely end up on the Jays..

LOL. Yeah, the Jays are getting the #1 FA Pitcher... OK ;-D

Good one Weir :-b

Well they do have 30 million to spend next year on anything they want, and Burnett is friends with Arnsberg (the pitching coach on the Jays who previously was a Marlins pitching coach).

His signing wouldn't surprise me in the least, I mean he almost got traded here in July, before Ricciardi decided he would rather go after him in the winter..

why didnt they go after pavano? too much money? :-?

Ted Rogers didn't give them 30 million more to spend on the payroll until February, and by that time Delgado was already gone. :-/

And for that matter, anyone else. The Jays did go after Matt Clement last winter, but the Red Sox spent more on him.

Which is what makes me think that a team like the Yankees will overbid the Jays for AJ Burnett. The odds are 2 to 1 that the Yanks sign him, IMO. He's said that he wants to test the FA market, which more or less means that he wants to get paid all day.

Yeah, but this year the Jays have money, last year they didn't. Big difference.

Yankees have endless pockets and are willing to overpay for their players. The Jays, with relatively more money than last year, still won't have enough to sign him away, or won't want to overpay.

I'll Cafe Bet you that AJ will go to NYY. You get to choose two teams (one being the Jays) as a possible destination for Burnett, since the odds are stacked in favor of NYY. If he goes to a team other than the three, nobody wins.

Dunn is interesting. Personally, I don't get why the hell Cincy doesn't try to lock him up long-term. If they were to trade Dunn, they'd probably want some arms in return. I'm thinking you'd have to somehow include one of McGowan, Brandon League, and perhaps Gustavo Chacin (though I think he's vastly overrated and that it'd be a tremendous mistake if Cincy acquired him as the centerpiece of a trade). Anyway, you'd have to pay to get him, no doubt about that. I see another team outbidding if he really is traded, but that's just me.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:55 pm

mweir145 wrote:
brandnew wrote:It's a very weak FA class all around, especially for power hitters. Jays will have to try to make a trade or something. Hey, you guys can have LaRoche! I'm SO sick of Roche it's not even funny. I'm going to be pissed if he's playing over Marte (indirectly) next year.

Trade rumours in Toronto have been circulating around Adam Dunn..

He'd fit in nicely in that lineup, but for whom?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:02 am

- The Blue Jays were smart enough NOT to go after Pavano.

- Millwood will get a huge contract next year and will end up being the hot and cold pitcher he has proven to be, not justifying the huge contract that the next team signs him to.

- Burnett could wind up in Toronto, which would be extremely refreshing. Although his value would take a hit fantasy wise.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers