Greatest Down to the Wire Moment Ever... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greatest Down to the Wire Moment Ever...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greatest Down to the Wire Moment Ever...

Postby AT » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:36 am

I realize that in Fantasy Baseball sometimes a league can come down to the final week, the final couple games, a single category or whatever but try this one on for size...

10 Team H2H, Top 2 Teams get Byes.

I'm in first so I get a bye and the 2nd and 3rd place teams are playing each other last week for the right to the final bye (They're separated by .5 G)

They're going into Sunday tied 5-5, and tied in WHIP. Sunday Night Oakland decides to put in Huston Street (Owned by the 3rd place team) to pitch in a non-save situation. The 2nd place team and 3rd place team's owners are old high school buddies who hadn't seen each other for at least a year or 2 until that night when they happen to go to a wedding together Saturday night and stay over and end up at a bar, with the 4th place team's owner watching that game screaming at the TV in a meaningless situation while Huston Street pitches a good enough inning to give the 3rd place team the win in WHIP and the 1st round bye.

1 Inning? It came down to 1 Inning? Unbelievable... Was a great story when my buddy called me last night to tell me.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:36 am

thats awesome,,,,fantasy as in real life sports(sometimes at least) actually IS a game of inches.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:02 am

The last day in my roto league two years ago I dropped to 2nd after having the lead for like 2 weeks. We were so far apart for 1 day to make a difference in all of our categories except WHIP where I was up by .009 and I was beating him overall by 1 point. So I didn't have anybody goin whereas he decided to spot start like 7 or 8 different guys, I decided to lay back thinking that for sure a good amount of those guys would bomb, but turns out almost every single one of those guys had a quality start which puts him over me in WHIP by .006. I was furious for a weeks. :-/
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Greatest Down to the Wire Moment Ever...

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:15 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I realize that in Fantasy Baseball sometimes a league can come down to the final week, the final couple games, a single category or whatever but try this one on for size...

I'm in first so I get a bye and the 2nd and 3rd place teams are playing each other last week for the right to the final bye (They're separated by .5 G)

They're going into Sunday tied 5-5, and tied in WHIP. Sunday Night Oakland decides to put in Huston Street (Owned by the 3rd place team) to pitch in a non-save situation. The 2nd place team and 3rd place team's owners are old high school buddies who hadn't seen each other for at least a year or 2 until that night when they happen to go to a wedding together Saturday night and stay over and end up at a bar, with the 4th place team's owner watching that game screaming at the TV in a meaningless situation while Huston Street pitches a good enough inning to give the 3rd place team the win in WHIP and the 1st round bye.

1 Inning? It came down to 1 Inning? Unbelievable... Was a great story when my buddy called me last night to tell me.

and there's a good chance they'll face each other in the second round of the playoffs. rivalries can evlove even in fantasy baseball. :-b tell us what happens, sounds interesting.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Greatest Down to the Wire Moment Ever...

Postby mamorris » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:28 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I realize that in Fantasy Baseball sometimes a league can come down to the final week, the final couple games, a single category or whatever but try this one on for size...

Good story. It reminds me of one I read in a Rotoworld article a few weeks ago:

Last day of the season in '02. I'm in second place with 64 pts. The first place team has 65 pts. I'm 1 SB behind the team ahead of me and 5 SB behind the first place team. I'm hoping for 2 SB so I can gain a point and at least tie for the championship. By some miracle I get 7 SB in one game as Rollins, Glanville and Luis Castillo run wild in a PHI/FLA game. I pick up two points in the SB and the first place team loses 1 pt. No one on my staff pitches, and my slim lead in ERA (3.779 to 3.784) holds up over the team behind me. By 7 PM I am the champ 65 points to 64 points. The former first place team even calls to concede and congratulate me. There's only one game left in the season (ARI vs. COL) at 8PM that night. The now second-place team has no one playing on either team. I only have Schilling, who is not starting. Done deal, right? Whoa! Not so fast. With Arizona leading 11-3 (they need the win to get to the playoffs) in the 8th inning, Brainy Bob Brenly brings in Schilling to protect an eight run lead! Mind you, Schilling is his #2 starter for the playoffs. It's September. There must be a zillion guys in MLB bullpens that time of year. Brenly could have used any one of eight other guys. Heck, I might even be able to protect an eight run lead, and I don't even pitch! Schilling gives up a three-run bomb to Brent ''Freaking'' Butler, and that narrow lead in ERA disappears. Result: 64/64 tie. Not bad you say because a tie was my goal heading into Sunday? Not good enough after you think you got the prize only to lose it. Needless to say, I was real happy when Brenly was fired.
- Lou, Villanova
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AT » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:35 pm

That's an insane story... It's amazing how an entire season of moves, point shifts, injuries, etc... comes down to 1 game or 1 move in a single game...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:05 pm

Well to come 2nd place and get a bye for this week, I needed Barry Zito to give up exactly 6 ER in his start agaisnt the Yankees Sunday night. It was my last chance at winning the ERA category that week agaisnt the guy who was in 2nd place at the time. Zito gave up exactly 6 runs, and I won ERA by .02, giving me 2nd place and the bye by .5 game.

It also helped that Duaner Sanchez allowed a run earlier in the day. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:43 pm

Last day of the season in '02. I'm in second place with 64 pts. The first place team has 65 pts. I'm 1 SB behind the team ahead of me and 5 SB behind the first place team. I'm hoping for 2 SB so I can gain a point and at least tie for the championship. By some miracle I get 7 SB in one game as Rollins, Glanville and Luis Castillo run wild in a PHI/FLA game. I pick up two points in the SB and the first place team loses 1 pt. No one on my staff pitches, and my slim lead in ERA (3.779 to 3.784) holds up over the team behind me. By 7 PM I am the champ 65 points to 64 points. The former first place team even calls to concede and congratulate me. There's only one game left in the season (ARI vs. COL) at 8PM that night. The now second-place team has no one playing on either team. I only have Schilling, who is not starting. Done deal, right? Whoa! Not so fast. With Arizona leading 11-3 (they need the win to get to the playoffs) in the 8th inning, Brainy Bob Brenly brings in Schilling to protect an eight run lead! Mind you, Schilling is his #2 starter for the playoffs. It's September. There must be a zillion guys in MLB bullpens that time of year. Brenly could have used any one of eight other guys. Heck, I might even be able to protect an eight run lead, and I don't even pitch! Schilling gives up a three-run bomb to Brent ''Freaking'' Butler, and that narrow lead in ERA disappears. Result: 64/64 tie. Not bad you say because a tie was my goal heading into Sunday? Not good enough after you think you got the prize only to lose it. Needless to say, I was real happy when Brenly was fired.
- Lou, Villanova

That must've SUCKED..

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:19 pm

Roto league last year, I'm up by 1 K and half a point in the standings. First place has one reliever left who comes in and gets 2 K's, and I lose the league by half a point.

How's that for a close roto league? :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:55 pm

I once came in second in basketball because the first place guy had one more assist than me. After a whole season he had one more than me. ONE!
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers