SORIANO - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SORIANO

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:37 pm

he will still be a first rounder next year due to his position, but there are a few places that he could be traded to that would easily push him into 2nd round material imo.... but as a ranger, yea he should be first round material probably around pick 7-10 or so.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Lol, vaulted back into the first? He was my #5 overall player this year and I took him in the mid-1st in quite a few of my drafts. It certainly depends on where he ends up for next year, but remember that he hit quite well at NY, which is not a hitters' park. I think, even if he moves to another team, he has enough power/stolen base potential to be at least a late 1st.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:14 pm

ya'll can have him. i'll sit back and politely take marcus giles in the 3rd and (assuming he's injury free... :-o ) get similar production. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:41 pm

George_Foreman wrote:ya'll can have him. i'll sit back and politely take marcus giles in the 3rd and (assuming he's injury free... :-o ) get similar production. :-)

Yes, that would have worked well this year. Or any year, really.

Giles is always hurt. He's a good player, but he'll never have an injury free season.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:22 am

George_Foreman wrote:ya'll can have him. i'll sit back and politely take marcus giles in the 3rd and (assuming he's injury free... :-o ) get similar production. :-)

That wasn't the question. If you use that logic, you can make an argument for passing on Pujols in the 1st. ;-) I am just asking if Soriano is a 1st rounder production-wise. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 am

Lofunzo wrote:

That wasn't the question. If you use that logic, you can make an argument for passing on Pujols in the 1st. ;-) I am just asking if Soriano is a 1st rounder production-wise. :-)

I took Sori in the first round of one league, but I also passed him up in my other 3 leagues. One of my 2B's stats look like this:

.294 avg.
25 homers
93 rbi
84 runs
4 steals

EDIT: Chalk up a 3/4 with a run, his 26th home run, and 3 more rbi tonight..

Oh, and I got him in the 7th round. :-°

That would be Jeff Kent this year. :-°

I haven't started doing projections for next year (still way too early for me), but I'd say most likely Sori will remain a first rounder in my book. Maybe fall to the second round, but a possible 30-30 out of a 2B is pretty hard to pass up, unless you have a nice sleeper all lined up of course. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mamorris » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:30 am

dannyolbb wrote:

Yes, that would have worked well this year. Or any year, really.

Giles is always hurt. He's a good player, but he'll never have an injury free season.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure he was taking a stab at those who were bagging Soriano preseason. I know it's easy to say now, but I couldn't believe that some were ranking him as low as #25 overall, especially considering the premium some put on production from a second basemen. I still had him top-5, but I must admit the trade rumours had me worried for a while.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:14 pm

I traded Soriano just a few weeks ago, having already picked up Weeks this year.

For those considering Soriano, I would just encourage you to look at his road stats the last two years. If he goes to a park that is not a strong offensive park, his value will drop dramatically.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:57 pm

I agree with most of what's been said so far in this thread, and Soriano will remain a first rounder unless he moves to a big pitchers park in which case he will probably fall to the 2nd round. A big thing to take into consideration though, is that 2nd base will be considerably deeper next year, with the addition of guys like Utley, Weeks, and Cantu who you will probably be able to grab in later rounds and still get solid production.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:39 pm

I think the risk with Soriano is greater than implied. It wouldn't take a pitcher's park to reduce his value significantly. He should still be good for HRs and SBs. Depending on the team and batting order, you are likely looking 90/90 max for R and RBIs, assuming no injuries, which is less and less likely to happen. And outside a strong hitter's park, he'll have a Mike Cameron like batting average, probably under .250.

That's still not bad for 2B. But, if he's not in a strong hitter's park next year, I'd be cautious about picking him too early.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers