Pujols may get time off... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols may get time off...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols may get time off...

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:37 am

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else:

Yahoo! player update thingy wrote:Sep 4 With the Cardinals nursing a comfortable lead in the NL Central, Pujols may take some time off in September to receive treatment for plantar fasciitis. The injury also bothered him last season. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that team trainers will evaluate the first baseman early this week and decide an exact course of treatment. Pujols already has 100 RBI this season, meaning he has reached that mark in each of his first five MLB campaigns.

Advice: After hitting .370 in June and .358 in July, Pujols batted 'just' .287 in August. - Stats Inc.

This would really kill me because I have him in a weekly change league for money. Any other insight on this?

(I have Berkman, so I can put him there if he decides to sit out :-° ...but still, if I use him and he's out halfway through a week I'm done for. :-P )
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Oliver Perez » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:47 am

HOLY CRAP, this would be huge. I won top seed in my league this year, and 2nd place has Pujols. (I'm probly going to meet him in the championship week.) This would be amazing if it happened. ;-D
Oliver Perez
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:50 am

With him stealing bases (stole another tonight), I wouldn't think there is a problem with his foot anymore. :-?

Hmm.....Interesting, and I own him in a roto league, so this could affect me as well. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:57 am

This really shouldn't come as much of a surprise really. The foot issue flaring up again is little troubling, but with a double digit lead in the division and the pitching staff carrying the team right now they have no need to push him. And Mad, I didn't see the game today, but he hasn't been stealing as much as he was earlier, and they have brought up on numerous occasions on the Cardinal broadcasts lately that he has been experiencing discomfort in his foot, nothing serious, but something that they'll need to keep an eye on.

I'm not really concerned about the fantasy implications if you couldn't tell, but thats my $.02 FWIW.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:35 am

he seems to be alright, but who knows if the cards clinch he might get some time off

i own him in my money roto :-o
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:33 am

Albert is still stealing bases because he's Albert. The guy doesn't know how else to play, even if he is hurting.

Just the other night he tried to go from 1st to 3rd on a single to left field. 8-o He was out, but I don't think it was because of his foot.

He'll need to sit to get the treatment he got before the season. It got him this far, so hopefully it will get him through the playoffs.

It hurts fantasy teams, but it also hurts his MVP campaign. The best player in the game may once again put up MVP numbers and be denied the award.

:-t
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jzfran » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:40 am

I hope not. If he takes time off, this week would be great (I have a bye--1st place!). This would hurt a lot fo teams playoff chances, but I have Tiex at util right now, so I'd be okay.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rainman23 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:28 pm

Yet another one of those little tiebreakers when you're plotting your drafting strategy for H2H. When in doubt, go with that guy who's on a team likely to be in the playoff hunt...but not likely to be particularly dominant. You want your guys in the lineup that last week of the season, not resting up for the playoffs or looking ahead to next year.

Easier said than done, of course. Plus it directly contrasts with another good tiebreaker -- "Go with the guy with a better supporting cast."
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:43 pm

Cardinal TV was talking about this yesterday. They're saying he'll probably take a week of, but they were non-specific about when.

As to weekly lineups, convince your league to add one mid-week substitution for position players. It's more fair.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:33 pm

Im really rooting for him too sit, the 1st seeded guy in my h2h league and the only guy that could probably beat me has him. I wouldn't be playing him until the championship weeks if everything works out right though.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers