What Toronto needs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

What Toronto needs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What Toronto needs

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:17 pm

Toronto is a great place, nice people, lots of trees, no hurricanes or earthquakes. But you know what we are missing? Some place to get a good taco. In Cali you can't turn around without hitting a taco stand or a good Mexican restaurant.

Sometimes, like today, I just get a craving for enchiladas and refried beens. Not only do we not have many good Mex restaurants, but the only fastfood place is Taco Hell, we don't even have a Jack in the Box. This has to change, my Coronas are getting lonely.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What Toronto needs

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:30 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Toronto is a great place, nice people, lots of trees, no hurricanes or earthquakes. But you know what we are missing? Some place to get a good taco. In Cali you can't turn around without hitting a taco stand or a good Mexican restaurant.

Sometimes, like today, I just get a craving for enchiladas and refried beens. Not only do we not have many good Mex restaurants, but the only fastfood place is Taco Hell, we don't even have a Jack in the Box. This has to change, my Coronas are getting lonely.

Yeah I've noticed this too, and my dad commented on it for years.

They used to have one up here in Aurora, but they didn't get enough business and closed down. :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:30 am

mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Toronto is a great place, nice people, lots of trees, no hurricanes or earthquakes. But you know what we are missing? Some place to get a good taco. In Cali you can't turn around without hitting a taco stand or a good Mexican restaurant.

Yeah I've noticed this too, and my dad commented on it for years.

They used to have one up here in Aurora, but they didn't get enough business and closed down. :-/

Mmm.. Tacos...

Mookie, you bring up a great point.

I've been looking for a good Taco/Mexican restaurant for a fair amount of time now. If you find any good ones, hit me up with a PM.

PS. Churro's are freakin' awesome.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ensanimal » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:38 am

I've got no problem here in Montreal getting good Mexican places. Weird how there isn't anything in T.O.

If your just going for tacos, I love to make them myself at home. It's fun to do, and that way, you make them how you like. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:06 am

Hmmm . . . what Toronto needs? An offense? (j/k).

Not to hijack, but my g/f and I are looking at going to Toronto for a long weekend soon. It'll be her first trip to what I know is a very lovely city. That said, I've only been once and it was for business.

So, my request, any suggestions of stuff to show her and/or places to eat. She's Italian, so any good Italian restaurants would help.

Thanks in advance.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:40 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Hmmm . . . what Toronto needs? An offense? (j/k).

Not to hijack, but my g/f and I are looking at going to Toronto for a long weekend soon. It'll be her first trip to what I know is a very lovely city. That said, I've only been once and it was for business.

So, my request, any suggestions of stuff to show her and/or places to eat. She's Italian, so any good Italian restaurants would help.

Thanks in advance.

Depends how old you are and what you like to do.

Tons of Italians in TO. mweir has to be Italian (just guessing). Little Italy is a nice part of town with some great Italian restaurants. A little south of there in Queen street west is Cafe Diplimatico. That's a cool restaurant/cafe to hang out in.

If you're staying downtown and you are a younger guy that likes clubbing then Queen street just west of University is the place for you. There are tons and tons of great cheap restaurants there. One of my favourites is an Indian place called Mahotomal (or something like that). Then all of the cool clubs are just south of there - avoid the Indian Motorcycle Club, that place sucks. There are also great bars and pool halls there.

If you like some live music. Also on Queen just west of University is the Rex, an old hotel with live music. At Queen just east of Spadina are the Bamboo and the 360 which both have good live music.

If you like the theatre, our theatre district is on King West - just north of the Rogers Centre (used to be the Skydome - so you can walk there after you see the Jays win!). Everything plays there on a strip of about 4 theatres. The restaurants there are very expensive and not worth it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:05 am

Thanks for the input. Mid-30s for both of us, so the clubbing days have pretty much hit the rearview (though every once in a while).

As for watching the Jays win, not sure it'll be during baseball season, though I plan personally to get there at least once to see a game up there.

I think the interests tend towards more of the cultural (museums, tours, etc.) - at least her's does (she goes to games with me, I go to museums with her). As this would be a trip for her, I'm guessing that's what she'll want to see.

Anyway, I'm guessing we'll hit the Little Italy area, then, for at least one meal and the live music places sound cool, so I think that'll be in the trip as well.

Again, thanks.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:13 pm

I agree! You're right, Mookie, there is a big shortage of Mexican around here, I can actually make better tacos myself than what I am usually able to find around. When I was down in LA visiting a friend last year, there were several decent Mexican chains and authentic local taco huts, we made sure to peruse several of their samplings. :-]

There's only a couple of Mexican places in the city I've even walked by. I think there's a small place called Mexitaco (?) on Bloor W., near about Ossington or so. There's also another place on the Danforth I think I even went to once or twice, can't really remember the name (El Sol?), but it is around Pape or so. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as the LA joints I got to.

There are obviously several Texan chains around here like Lone Star and Armadillo, but that is really a bit of a different genre once you get past the nacho chips.. :-B
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:[

Tons of Italians in TO. mweir has to be Italian (just guessing).

Nope, I'm not Italian, atleast I don't think I am. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:47 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:

I agree! You're right, Mookie, there is a big shortage of Mexican around here, I can actually make better tacos myself than what I am usually able to find around. When I was down in LA visiting a friend last year, there were several decent Mexican chains and authentic local taco huts, we made sure to peruse several of their samplings. :-]

There's only a couple of Mexican places in the city I've even walked by. I think there's a small place called Mexitaco (?) on Bloor W., near about Ossington or so. There's also another place on the Danforth I think I even went to once or twice, can't really remember the name (El Sol?), but it is around Pape or so. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as the LA joints I got to.

There are obviously several Texan chains around here like Lone Star and Armadillo, but that is really a bit of a different genre once you get past the nacho chips.. :-B

The two best Mex restaurants in TO are on Danforth. The Willow is on Danforth near Broadview (has good tacos and burritos kind of Mex food) and another one further east that has real Mex food like chicken mole etc.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Next

Return to Toronto Blue Jays