Well, it's over. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Well, it's over.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Well, it's over.

Postby quietstorm » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:51 pm

I just finished second-to-last in my money league. I can try to win the losers' bracket, now, but I doubt I will.

I've never finished below third before. And I didn't do poorly this year. I had the highest point total by about 7.5%. I outscored my opponents by more than any other team (280 points, compared to 98 at the next-highest).

But in a point-based H2H league, it didn't work out. My winning percentage was below .500. I got <poopy> matchups. When I won, I crushed them. When I lost, it was by 2-3 points.

I cry. But at least I know my slight-on-pitching strat in the draft worked out well (the league has pitching rules that made Johan Santana the highest-ranked pitcher in the draft, with a projected VORP of about 60 points, compared to something like 250 for Alfonso Soriano).
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:58 pm

Sorry to hear that. :-/

The pitfalls of H2H leagues. One of the reasons why I prefer roto. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby silverZ » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:01 pm

Thats why i stick to roto for baseball. H2H is better for football/hockey
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Pedantic » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:17 pm

Madison wrote:Sorry to hear that. :-/

I thought you were a H2H guy?

In response to the original poster, don't worry about your setback. Victories in future years will be that much sweeter. Without adversity, we do not grow. I bet you will work that much harder this offseason. No one likes to lose, but you can't always win. What fun would it be, anyway, if you just mowed through the competition like Felix Hernandez through a Little League lineup?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:40 pm

Pedantic wrote:

Nope. Roto all the way! ;-D

However, I do play in a H2H keeper league. Don't like H2H, but the change doesn't hurt to go along with my 3 roto leagues. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Red Stripe » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:28 pm

If your goint to play competitively, roto is the way to go. ;-D
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:32 pm

Sorry to hear that you lost your league. It sounds like you were beat in some close matchups and maybe didnt make the playoffs because of some bad luck. Wait this is amazing, it sounds like real baseball. That is why H2H is the best. It is like real baseball. When the world series dosent exist anymore and they just hand over the trophy to the team that averaged the most hr's, Rbi's, sb's and on down the list I will agree that roto is the better of the 2. Till then I have to say that H2H is the true way to play fantasy baseball.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:18 am

Roto. ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby quietstorm » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:12 am

Pedantic wrote:

In response to the original poster, don't worry about your setback. Victories in future years will be that much sweeter. Without adversity, we do not grow. I bet you will work that much harder this offseason. No one likes to lose, but you can't always win. What fun would it be, anyway, if you just mowed through the competition like Felix Hernandez through a Little League lineup?

Well, considering I've mowed through that competition for eight consecutive years, starting when I was only 11... ;)

I've finished either first in the regular season or the playoffs every single year. It's just strange knowing I can't do either.

And, kentx, that's why I prefer H2H. We even had one-game playoffs in store for anything beyond a two-way tie (tiebreaker for a two-way tie is head-to-head record over the season). I really do love it. I just had some rough breaks this year. Even if I don't make money, I know I drafted the best team -- and it's not about the money, anyway, it's just to add an extra touch to the desperation of the league. Everybody but the last-placed team was within 7 games until the last week. THAT was fun. The money just gives it a little something extra -- and adds bragging rights, especially when you pay for everybody's meals at the final meeting with your winnings ;)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jjigglers » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:49 am

kentx12 wrote:Sorry to hear that you lost your league. It sounds like you were beat in some close matchups and maybe didnt make the playoffs because of some bad luck. Wait this is amazing, it sounds like real baseball. That is why H2H is the best. It is like real baseball. When the world series dosent exist anymore and they just hand over the trophy to the team that averaged the most hr's, Rbi's, sb's and on down the list I will agree that roto is the better of the 2. Till then I have to say that H2H is the true way to play fantasy baseball.

;-D Good post.

If real baseball were roto, the Cards would have won it all last year, New York would have tied for the championship for the two years previous with Atlanta in 2003 and Oakland in 2002, and Seattle would have won the season in a landslide in 2001, with the rest of the owners probably giving up 3/4 of the way through the season.

Good H2H leagues are more competitive than good roto leagues IMO, so H2H ;-D .
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers