Donate your Fantasy Baseball earnings to Katrina victims - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Donate your Fantasy Baseball earnings to Katrina victims

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Donate your Fantasy Baseball earnings to Katrina victims

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:46 pm

If you play in a money league, this message is for you!

There is NO WAY the members of your league need the money they'll earn this year more than the people in Louisiana, Missippi and Alabama whose lives have been uprooted due to Hurricane Katrina. If we all proposed to our leagues that we donate the money we put into the pot to the Red Cross disaster relief fund we could make a dent in the amount they need to help these people.

If your whole league won't agree, donate what YOU earn this season. I'm giving every dime I make (and I've got a playoff-caliber team).

Make your donations to:

http://www.redcross.org/
or call 1-800-HELP-NOW
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WharfRat » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:47 pm

I've heard a lot of good fantasy baseball ideas around here, but this one is by far the best. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:51 pm

Its a noble thought, but who are you to say people should donate their money? Its their choice.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby eftda » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:00 pm

blankman wrote:Its a noble thought, but who are you to say people should donate their money? Its their choice.

He never said 'should', so lay off.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:04 pm

blankman wrote:Its a noble thought, but who are you to say people should donate their money? Its their choice.

What are you joking? Don't be a scrooge.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:04 pm

eftda wrote:

He never said 'should', so lay off.

Relax guys. ;-)

I read it as that he's just suggesting it. Nothing to get worked up over. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:08 pm

That's a good question. Who am I to say people should donate the money they earn? Let me tell you who I am:

I'm a guy who's worked for two years to build the best damned team I can in a 14-team league of cut-throats who know far more about fantasy baseball than I'll ever know. I've spent a huge portion of my allowance on this team, and I'm banking on a good year to recoup what I've spent, otherwise I probalby won't be able to fund next year's team. And I'm giving every dime I earn to the victims.

I'm a guy whose wife, who earns 2/3 of our income, just found out that her job is being "downsized." This is just after she finished with chemo treatments for breast cancer, and only a year after our daughter was born. We're in some debt because of this, but not so much so that I can't keep my fantasy sports hobbies going for one more year, banking on this team I built. And I'm giving every dime I earn this year to the victims.

I'm doing this because I'm also a guy who is going to go to bed tonight in his own bed, next to his wife, just down the hall from his daughter, in his own house. I'll have eaten a pretty decent meal I made in my own kitchen, and I'll sleep soundly knowing that my home isn't destroyed, my neighbors aren't missing, my daughter is safe and my wife (at the moment, anyway) is alive and mostly well beside me.

That's who I am to say people who, like me, are a damned sight better off than anyone whose home is, or was, in New Orleans, Biloxi, Bond, Mobile, etc. Every person who sleeps soundly in their own bed tonight has far, far more than those people.

So yes, to answer your implied question, I am someone who can tell people they need to help their neighbors out. I just hope people listen.

Wouldn't you want us to do that for you, Blank?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:12 pm

I would if I ever won.. but I constantly lose so yea
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:45 pm

knapplc wrote:

That's a good question. Who am I to say people should donate the money they earn? Let me tell you who I am:

I'm a guy who's worked for two years to build the best damned team I can in a 14-team league of cut-throats who know far more about fantasy baseball than I'll ever know. I've spent a huge portion of my allowance on this team, and I'm banking on a good year to recoup what I've spent, otherwise I probalby won't be able to fund next year's team. And I'm giving every dime I earn to the victims.

I'm a guy whose wife, who earns 2/3 of our income, just found out that her job is being "downsized." This is just after she finished with chemo treatments for breast cancer, and only a year after our daughter was born. We're in some debt because of this, but not so much so that I can't keep my fantasy sports hobbies going for one more year, banking on this team I built. And I'm giving every dime I earn this year to the victims.

I'm doing this because I'm also a guy who is going to go to bed tonight in his own bed, next to his wife, just down the hall from his daughter, in his own house. I'll have eaten a pretty decent meal I made in my own kitchen, and I'll sleep soundly knowing that my home isn't destroyed, my neighbors aren't missing, my daughter is safe and my wife (at the moment, anyway) is alive and mostly well beside me.

That's who I am to say people who, like me, are a damned sight better off than anyone whose home is, or was, in New Orleans, Biloxi, Bond, Mobile, etc. Every person who sleeps soundly in their own bed tonight has far, far more than those people.

So yes, to answer your implied question, I am someone who can tell people they need to help their neighbors out. I just hope people listen.

Its a noble thing, but you aren't the only one with a story like that. A lot of us here struggle too. If you have the extra money and can afford to do it more power to you and people like you are awesome. It's not fair to think everyone is in your situation. You also never have the right to tell anyone what to do other than your children.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:09 pm

Phatferd wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Its a noble thing, but you aren't the only one with a story like that. A lot of us here struggle too. If you have the extra money and can afford to do it more power to you and people like you are awesome. It's not fair to think everyone is in your situation. You also never have the right to tell anyone what to do other than your children.

Yea unfortunately I have no money anyways latley..which blows
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk