Miggy
1%
Lee
No votes
Miggy
1%

Total votes : 182

Postby brandnew » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:41 am

Their past performance should have nothing to do with the votes they get this year... for example, Pujols shouldn't win it this year simply because he's been blocked by Bonds so many previous years.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:43 am

I'm not going to base who I think should win the MVP on how poorly the writers are going to vote. Sorry. Lee won't win it because of the Cubs sucking, but he should win. If not him, then Pujols. He's had a monster season, better than Jones.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:52 am

kentx12 wrote:If Andrew dosent win the MVP it is really messed up. Pujols is the best player in the game imo but the award dosent go to the best player it is the MVP. Without Andrew the Braves are way back in the devision not chasing another title.
So is the difference in games won or the division title the deciding factor in your opinion?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby blankman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:43 am

kentx12 wrote:If Andrew dosent win the MVP it is really messed up. Pujols is the best player in the game imo but the award dosent go to the best player it is the MVP. Without Andrew the Braves are way back in the devision not chasing another title.

I'm sorry, but I just think that is retarded. The award is the NL MVP, not the MVP of his team. Its the entire league's MVP.

As you've admitted, Pujols has been the better player (Lee too) so if you put Pujols on the Braves, the Braves are a better team than with Andruw. So just because Andruw happens to be on the Braves are only barely in the playoffs in comparison to the Cards their best player should get it over the league's best player?

The only sensible way to determine a LEAGUE MVP is to give it to the best player, because he would have added the most wins to his team no matter what team you stuck him on.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BritSox » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:04 pm

Ah, but there's a difference in how valuable those wins are: an excellent hitting performance which lifts your team from being a deadbeat lastplace team, to a closer lastplace team, is less valauble than wins that push the team into contention, or over the edge into the playoffs. Compare Rodriguez, Alex, 2002 and 2005 editions. You just can't ignore that there are differences in the value of certain wins.
Last edited by BritSox on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:24 pm

I wonder how much weight past seasons has on MVP votes if any.

Pujols has been overshadowed by Bonds and finished 4, 2, 2, 3 in MVP voting. Now Bonds is out of the mix and Pujols is putting up the same type of numbers for the best team in the NL. :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WharfRat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:41 pm

BritSox wrote:Ah, but there's a difference in how valuable those wins are: an excellent hitting performance which lifts your team from being a deadbeat lastplace team, to a closer lastplace team, is less valauble than wins that push the team into contention, or over the edge into the playoffs. Compare Rodriguez, Alex, 2002 and 2005 editions. You just can't ignore that there are differences in the value of certain wins.

I agree with this - pretty much sums up why Lee won't win.

On the question of past performance: I don't think it should count, but there will be plenty of voters who think it's time to reward Pujols after getting off to one of the greatest career starts in history. This will definitely hurt Andruw's chances.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BritSox » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 pm

WharfRat wrote:
BritSox wrote:Ah, but there's a difference in how valuable those wins are: an excellent hitting performance which lifts your team from being a deadbeat lastplace team, to a closer lastplace team, is less valauble than wins that push the team into contention, or over the edge into the playoffs. Compare Rodriguez, Alex, 2002 and 2005 editions. You just can't ignore that there are differences in the value of certain wins.

On the question of past performance: I don't think it should count, but there will be plenty of voters who think it's time to reward Pujols after getting off to one of the greatest career starts in history. This will definitely hurt Andruw's chances.

Yeah, it's like the Cy, or spielberg winning his first oscar. Coming close and being passed over in the past shouldn't be a factor, but everyoen knows it is, at least to some voters.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 pm

WharfRat wrote:

Yeah, it's like the Cy, or spielberg winning his first oscar. Coming close and being passed over in the past shouldn't be a factor, but everyoen knows it is, at least to some voters.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby brandnew » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:03 pm

For the record, I think Pujols deserves it.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers